“Impressive !!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornbury
London UK
“Impressive !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Excellent hotel---service & staff & food all very good--as is location
They parked the car --carried bags to room---organised tea etc.--no complaints at all ---if you should find service slow I guess you need to be assertive
Our American cousins will be delighted with this connection to history---as we were

Room Tip: We had 2 nights in the hotel---amazing room ---thought King Henry was going to join us!! Either we...
2 Thank Zebramol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife comes from Thornbury and we recently got married in St Mary's Church, adjoining the Castle, with a reception just up the road at Thornbury Chantry. I stayed at the Castle with the groomsmen the night before and then moved into the Tower Suite with my wife for a couple of days after the wedding.

Throughout, we had nothing short of an exemplary experience. The building is extraordinary, the gardens amongst the most beautiful I've been in, certainly unlike any hotel grounds I've ever known before. The staff (especially Suzanna, the garden waitress) were accommodating to a tee, and we enjoyed a great breakfast outside every day.

The result was we felt wonderfully at home in this spectacular and picturesque corner of Old England, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a truly unforgettable stay whatever the occasion. In particular, I think criticisms in other reviews here of the speed of service are unreasonable: you're staying in a partially rebuilt ruin, not a modern purpose built identikit hotel. The corridors are winding, the stairs even more so. Against this background the staff really do astoundingly well!

Room Tip: The Bohun is vast, takes up one whole floor of the tower, with a bathroom within the thickness of th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Idris H
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I'd booked the hotel as part of a car hire package for my husband's 50th birthday. Driving into the grounds we were impressed with it's grandeur. We parked at the reception where a sign advertised valet parking. We had to wait 10-15 minutes to check in as there was only one
receptionist. We then had to carry our bags up to our room, in one of the towers so a fair number of steps, and when we asked about the car we were told we could park it in the car park once we'd unloaded. Our room was amazing! A huge four poster bed and lots of floor space. The bathroom plumbing was a little outdated but added to the ambience. We overlooked the gardens where we had a pre dinner drink. There appeared to be a few rooms in which you could be seated for dinner and unfortunately we were seated in a room with only one other couple therefore there was very little atmosphere. The dinner menu is limited, as per other reviewers, but as we were only staying one night, it was more than sufficient. The wine sommelier was very helpful and his recommendation was excellent.

Breakfast was a bit hit and miss. The staff did not seem as experienced as the night before. We were seated in the same room as dinner but no explanation was given and neither were any menus. Eventually a waitress asked us our preference for tea/coffee and our food order then realised we didn't know what was on offer. She gave us menus but still didn't explain that there was a buffet in another room for cereal/pastries etc.

However, none of this really detracted from the whole experience which was about the car so we were packed, the bill settled and on our way by 10.30! The extra bill paid on leaving was the drinks from the night before and this was extremely good value.

An amazing hotel in a great location, beautiful gardens, worth a stay but the service needs improving to bring this hotel up to the standard it deserves.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a tower room with 4 poster bed.
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Friday 13th June - should have been a warning by the date! My husband booked a room as a surprise for my birthday. I am a real history nut, and just love the Tudor period. He called and booked a room over the phone, and requested the Dukes Bedchamber - This the room the HenryViii and Anne Boleyn stayed in! When he told me I was very excited as I had seen this room on TV and had said I would love to go - The room was available so my husband paid the deposit. He also booked the 7 course tasting menu and asked for no confirmation letter or e-mail, as we share an e-mail address for business purposes.

Arrived at the hotel, and there was a bit of a lack lustre welcome from the staff. Lots of people milling around not doing a lot. The receptionist didn't stand up, but said our room was not ready yet, but this was not a problem. I asked if there was somewhere we could have a drink in the garden, and she gave us some directions. No offer to take our bags, or our name!?

Found the garden, which was very large, but only with about 5 or 6 tables. Only one other pair of guests were sat in the garden, so we went to sit down at an empty table. We were told by a waiter that they were all booked for afternoon tea - OK, no problem, so I asked if there were any other tables so we could sit outside and enjoy the beautiful garden and weather! we were told no. all tables inside and outside were booked, but we could sit in the lounge! So we decided to walk into the village instead and found a lovely little pub garden.

Back to the hotel to check in - and we were taken to a lovely room but not the room my husband had requested. Queried this with the duty manager who showed us to our room, but she said that they NEVER guarantee rooms, but try and meet guests requests.... we were both very disappointed and queried this again with her. She said she would go back to reception and see what they could do and would call us back......we waited in the room for her call which after 15 mins hadn't come, so we called down to reception. Our room was taken and there was nothing they could do, but would upgrade our evening meal to the 7 course tasting menu - WE HAD ALREADY BOOKED THIS!!!

In the meantime a room attendant barged into our room without knocking to replace some bath soaps etc...didn't knock, but said she was sorry and hadn't been told we had checked in! I understand these things sometimes happen.

After the confusion over what we had actually booked, I went down to reception. I asked to see our paperwork to see exactly what they thought we had booked, and the price.... again so much confusion at their end. They didn't have any paperwork or details they could show me. The upshot being they hadn't booked us dinner, but agreed to upgrade us to the tasting menu for free. OK good result. The receptionist/manager also said that they could invite us back on the friends and family rate, and would guarantee us the Dukes Bedchamber room - Great I thought - then I remembered that the receptionist/manager had specifically said they NEVER guarantee rooms - I said this to her, and she couldn't really answer me! As I walked away from reception the staff broke out into roars of laughter which made me feel very uncomfortable.

Back in the room - my husband was really gutted that our stay had been ruined. I told him don't be daft, the room is lovely even if it’s not what you booked, and we will have an amazing meal.....well I couldn't have been more wrong!!

got to the restaurant and we were seated. Then waited for 20 mins to get the wine list. Ordered the wine and waited further. They asked us to confirm if we were having the taster menu, and we said yes we were. He didn't bring us a menu to see what was on the tasting menu, so the dishes were going to be a total surprise...eventually got the wine.

1st Course - tea cup of cold mushy peas. Seriously I am not joking!!! waitress put it down and walked off without saying what it was meant to be. when she came back to clear our table I asked what on earth it was. Apparently it was meant to be pea and ham soup! we hadn't eaten it and I said it was exactly like cold mushy peas, and I would love to know how the Chef claimed to make it!!

2nd Course - Scallops. We love Scallops. They were cooked really well.....we had a whole 2 scallops between us!!!! They were sliced and cut in half that they looked embarrassing on the plate. The Pork belly was all fat with no texture except sludge and the Gnocchi nearly glued my teeth together. Again the waitress came to clear the table with everything left on the plate except the scallops. I said I was really sorry to complain again, but it was just awful. This menu was £85 per person!!! She said she was sorry and would pass this onto the Chef.

3rd Course - egg and parmesan Ravioli. Looked weird with a foamy/bubbly thing thrown over the top but we were hungry and willing to try anything. One bite was enough. The pasta was thick and stodgy, the egg was not properly cooked, and the whole thing was smothered in really strong, salty parmesan. it really was like terrible cheesy socks, the smell hit the back of your throat and we couldn't eat it.

At this point we'd had enough of complaining about every course, so we just walked out. No one even noticed us leave.

Come the morning, my husband checked out and complained to the manager. They did take off some money off the bill, and we obviously didn't pay for dinner - although they had said they would pay for this anyway to make up for the room issue!!??

Summary - service poor - with no real effort made to make you feel welcome, or that they actually care about your stay.

Food - totally un edible. I would love to see how the chef makes his soup. A total disgrace!

Room - very pleasant. Clean and tidy with good facilities. Not what we had booked. But still nice.

Will not be returning, which is a shame because I really wanted to stay in that room!!

5 Thank merlinvix
Faye K, General Manager at Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
I am sorry to read the feedback regarding your experience.

Through the correspondence you have had with my Guests Service Manager and my-self, I would welcome your response and the opportunity to speak in person.

You have my details from previous correspondence, please contact me directly at the hotel or if you prefer to respond to the emails we have sent, I would very much appreciate your time.

Kind regards,

Faye
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We have recently returned from a delightful three night stay here. The impression on driving up to the hotel is impressive, lovely grounds and the walls of the castle looking majestic and ancient. The car park was packed as there was an 'event' being held in the adjoining grounds for non-residents - we squeezed into the last remaining space (I think there needs to be a dedicated parking area for residents only).

On entering the hotel the reception is small and unassuming, which is exactly as it should be. Check-in was prompt and seemed efficient. We were shown to our room, but that's when alarm bells rung - I'd booked the hotel end feb/beginning of March to ensure we had the Dukes Bedchamber (having to alter our dates to accommodate it's availability) but were taken to a completely different room! Thankfully I'd had the foresight to bring my emails confirming our booking of the room we'd requested (contrary to an earlier reviewer you can pre-book relevant rooms). The long and the short of it was that we were then moved and shown to the room I had booked - I dread to think what the outcome would have been if they'd allocated it to someone else - as the whole trip depended on the Dukes Bedchamber as a surprise for my husbands birthday! However this change also prompted a few problems: the turndown service we requested never materialised the first night (it did the following nights as we'd mentioned it to reception) and we ended up with a completely different newspaper in the morning, again sorted once we'd highlighted it. Staff were always quick to address any problems.

The room was wonderful, large and immaculately clean with a lovely four-poster bed dominating the room. The bathroom was small but adequate and the toilet was in a separate room. Thankfully an iron and ironing board, plus hairdryer, towelling robes, slippers and toiletries are all provided in the room and there is a welcoming decanter of sherry too! Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and shortbreads are also provided and restocked on a daily basis. Our room had wonderful views of the hotel garden on one side and the surrounding countryside on the other. To get to our room you had to go up some old stone, spiral stairs - I swear these increased in number towards the end of our stay, but added to whole feel of the hotel.

The first afternoon we sat in the gardens without any problems, but on subsequent afternoons all the tables were being used for those who had booked afternoon tea (mainly non-residents), there was therefore nowhere for residents to sit if they just wanted a quiet afternoon in the garden! I think this is another issue that needs to be addressed.

The lounge area was comfortable and homely, with large sofas that you could sink into or armchairs that provided more stability - came in handy for me as I was suffering from a bad back. Before supper you could sit in the lounge with a pre-dinner gin and tonic (my preference) and were provided with entrées and a chance to peruse the menu.

For the evening meal there was a choice of roughly 5/6 starters and the same for the main course, a lovely choice but as we were staying three nights the menu became more and more limited for us. We have stayed in other hotels where the menu would change every two days and that would give us more variety. I can, however, throughly recommend the Shoulder of Lamb, absolutely delicious. The dinning rooms are wonderful, full of character and charm. The staff knowledgable and helpful all the time.

Breakfast was was lovely, with a good choice of cooked food and a buffet of fruits, yoghurts, muesli and croissants. However, there were no cereals - only other packets of muesli. I saw a few people searching for a packet of Cornflakes or Weetibix.

All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful but special mention to Luke, Emily and Sam. They all helped to make our stay a wonderful one.

In conclusion, a hotel with history and charm - yes, it's not cheap but 'you get what you pay for'. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeIII
Epping, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

A great Tudor Castle and lovely gardens! The setting was beautiful and tranquil. The Staff were very welcoming, friendly but professional. Our room overlooking the courtyard was charming, spacious and well set out. The food was delicious, although the menu was rather limited. An ideal location for touring the Forest of Dean, the River Severn and The Cotswolds.

Room Tip: All the rooms were good - and of a high standard. Very quiet.
St. Gallen, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Arriving from Switzerland and as fans of English history we liked the castle as such. And of course it was a unique experience to stay in the Duke's Bedchamber, where Henry VIII. and Anne Boleyn slept during their visit of Thornbury almost 500 years ago. But the interior of the rooms is old, carpets are dirty etc.. We stayed for three nights. One night would have been enough. We had booked a package which included dinner. But be aware that there is only a limited menue, and each evening it was exactly the same. The third evening we had diner in the village and announced this at reception in the morning before. No deduction on the bill was granted.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank merapeak
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

The hotel is going through a programme of refurbishment to address any areas in need of attention and this will continue from October and into the New Year, particularly in the bedrooms.

We do offer an alternative to the main a la carte menu to ensure we are able to provide different dining options to our guests, I am sorry this was not offered to you as an alternative.

Please contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this in person.

Kind regards,

Faye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornbury
De Vere Tortworth Estate
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury
Alveston House Hotel
Alveston House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Alveston

Been to Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens? Share your experiences!