Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens
  • Pool
Swan Hotel(Almondsbury)
TripAdvisor
1,399 results
All reviewsfour poster bedafternoon teaspecial occasionstone wallscomplimentary sherrydining roomssteeped in historyhenry viiiopen firespiral staircaselike royaltysconesfit for a kingscallopsdining experiencesecret escapesluxury hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I arranged a surprise 60th treat for my partner at the castle. The service on arrival was good and in fact all the staff were friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Anne Boleyn room which was lovely except for the very shabby and dirty chair covers and indeed it could do with a lick of gloss paint! However it was a relaxing stay and breakfast was enjoyable and nothing to much trouble for the waiting staff.

1  Thank Su M
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We arrived at Thornbury Castle around 2.30pm. As you drive in the castle is stunning and my partner had no idea where we were going was over the moon. We parked up and headed towards the reception, which again is a stunning walk as you walk through the Castle courtyard. As you arrive at the reception doorway, there is a suit of armour standing in the doorway to which I added “we only came for the Knight”! Which my partner groaned and said “your jokes are as old as this castle”!!! There was a very polite guy on reception who apologised for the room not being ready, but told us we could leave our baggage with him and he would arrange for it to be taken up to our room. The then said we could take a drink in the lounge area or the library area, both of which were very ornate and what I kind of thought a castle lounge would look like. Now here is the problem for me, and one that has lost points for this castle, no bar! I like to relax in a bar not in armchairs where people are taking afternoon tea (which looked really good!). So with no bar we decided to go into Thornbury, which on a Sunday is..........SHUT! Three pubs and a coffee shop, that’s all there is on a Sunday (may have been another pub just off the high street!), so we tried each pub, too be honest, not our type of pub, which each one showing football, so we would not go into them again.
Back to the castle to check in, we were taken to our room (Brecknock, or some name like that!). Wow what a great room overlooking the extremely well looked after courtyard, a queen sized bed which was a little too soft for me, but that’s just me! You have free water bottles and even a free tipple of sherry (nice touch) from a decanter!!
Now onto the evening meal, we had booked this break with Secret Escapes and so had a two course meal in the deal. I had the stuffed courgette flower to start, followed by the 24 hour beef and my partner had the scallops to start (£7.50 extra) followed by the lamb. The meals we fabulous top marks to the chef! Although having tasted my partners, I would choose hers another time. Service was second to none, so again top marks.
Time for a drink, once again, no bar so we sat in lounge for a while, and then decided to take our drinks to our room, where I had some beers chilling in an ice bucket as the room had no mini bar/fridge.
Overall this is a great, if not fantastic place to stay great food, very good service and a castle to die for, but no bar!! If the owners are reading this, please turn the Library into a bar! So, on that note, I will give it 8/10

1  Thank Gunnerchris
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just arrived home from a fantastic overnight stay with dinner & breakfast with Secret Escapes, we had booked a classic room but are guessing we were upgraded to 'The Stafford Suite' which was located outside the main building near the entrance to the castle, the room was beautiful, spacious, full of character with a bathroom just as big with a free standing bath, double sink unit, throne-like toilet and a shower fit for King Henry himself! our evening meal was delicious, well presented and well cooked, the staff are professional, friendly and offer great service. the castle is a relaxing place to stay, not over the top, stuffy or over done, it's a great place to get away from it all for a weekend, Thornbury itself looked very pretty with some nice little shops and pubs if you fancy a short walk, we didn't have much time to explore out but will do next time, thank you Thornbury Castle for a much needed pick me up, keep up the good work.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jasmine83
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Two nights last weekend in this wonderful castle for our wedding anniversary. We upgraded to a Deluxe room and had the Tudor Room which really has the wow factor, 5 foot walls, arrow slits for windows, huge bathroom and so peaceful and calm - it really felt far from the madding crowd. The food in the restaurant was lovely, the staff very attentive. Our only complaint (if it can be called that) is that the menu was the same on Saturday evening as Friday evening and it was not an extensive menu so choice was limited. However the food was gorgeous.
We would definitely go again.

Room Tip: All the rooms looked lovely, there are only 26 in total but if you really want something special, upgrade to a Deluxe Room.
2  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We came here Monday evening for dinner and it exceeded our expectations. As well as the dishes we had selected, there were extra courses. Being vegetarian, we often find meals in restaurants are disappointing, but not this time. The food was absolutely delicious and although (as a previous reviewer has said) the portions are small there were plenty of courses, so much so that I could not finish my dessert which is unheard of for me (especially as it was chocolate!). The wine was very good too, I can recommend the Shiraz. To summarise, the food was excellent, the service was excellent and so was the ambiance. We will be coming back soon!