“Great Breakfast”

Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Thornbury
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are your friendly neighbourhood cafe bar located in the heart of Thornbury. Independently owned by James and Simon you will always be welcomed with a smile whatever the occasion. We have a great selection of books and board games to keep both the young, and the young at heart amused.Our relaxed, informal environment can be used for whatever you see fit... Whether it be a morning coffee, brunch meeting, ladies lunch or evening out with friends you will feel at home here.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We ended up here on Good Friday after demanding our money back at a very cheap and not so cheerful national chain !!! We weren't disappointed - from the fresh orange juice served in quaint jars and everything cooked to order, lovely coffee and friendly service and closer to home. We are now regulars

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Morag63

“Good food, chilled atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a few meals here now and it's always been decent. I'd say it's a cross between a coffee shop, a restaurant and a bar ... and serves each purpose equally well. Staff are always friendly and helpful and haven't had a bad experience yet!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Russell K
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My ideal eatery”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I'm very loyal to Hawkes house now and it's now my eatery of choice for breakfast coffee or lunch. I've not visited in the evening but intend to soon and will review again.
Reading these review I don't recognise the ones that say poor service or small portions (I wonder did that reviewer order tapas and not realise...?)
The staff are unfailingly polite, you might wait for your food at busy lunchtimes but it's prepared fresh, it's not a fast food joint.
On my last visit, I had the hotdog which was outstanding/ huge portion for the biggest appetite, would even be a sharing meal with a close friend :) the sourdough bread (also used in their bacon or sausage bbreakfast rolls) is from local bakery Hobbs house and is delicious. Hawkes house use a lot of local produce esp sausages bacon cheese etc.
On the same visit I saw a happy group having tapas lunch outside in the little garden area- sunny with just enough shade- the tapas is delicious and generous at 3 dishes for £7. Baba ganoush bruschetta is v good.
There were also some ladies having fresh coffee and some sinful looking toffee shortbread and brownies which are about £2 a slice so very competitively priced.
Full English breakfast is also highly recommended and they are happy to substitute from the set meal eg extra bacon instead of egg etc.
Gluten free options are available for the majority of dishes, lots of veggie choices. I'd like to see a vegan option for each meal though the tapas can be vegan there is quite a lot of cheese involved in the menu- my only negative!
The only meal that I haven't been totally satisfied with was the "one pan" breakfast- it sounds delicious and is certainly decadent but slightly too much cheese/oil in the one I had - I'd have it again but be sure to ask for less cheese, or maybe for the fat to be cut off the bacon. It's bacon, potato, mushroom, egg fried off in one pan then added cheese.
Do try it. It's worth it. I live locally and there are quite few excellent cafés and farm shops in easy reach- this is the best food and best value in my view.

1 Thank Hanzymav
“Nice place to relax”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I venture in here several times a week. Breakfast and crosswords on Saturday mornings, beer on Saturday nights and any combination on other days. Always pleasant in there whether I want peace and quiet or a chat and beer with mates

1 Thank andyciderman
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Hawkes”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very Thornbury. Another great venue to choose from. Like the building and decor. Good choice of drinks and food