Vale of Berkeley Guest House
Principal Hotel Company
The Swan Hotel(Wotton-under-Edge)
US$113
  • Restaurant
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens(Thornbury)(Great Value!)
US$300
US$290
US$77
PremierInn.com
US$105
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewswedding morningcomfortable bedclairebridesmaidsaccommodationkeysconservatorycereal
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have never felt compelled to leave a review before, but the service at the Vale of Berkeley was so outstanding I had to. The B&B is spotlessly clean, and the food is delicious as commented on in many other reviews, but the service we received is what impressed us the most. I stayed at the Vale of Berkeley with my family before my wedding at Berkeley Castle and we hired the entire B&B for the weekend. Harri and Clare were so accommodating to us all and the 5 children! They provided us with meals and packed lunches for the children, and left beautiful touches in my room such as flowers and chocolates. They were always on hand, without being in the least bit intrusive, helping above and beyond (thanks for the help ironing the pashmina Clare!) Harri had taken the locks from the children's bedroom doors so they wouldn't get locked in. Every detail was considered. This was the perfect start to my wedding weekend and I really can't thank and recommend them enough. Do seriously consider the Vale of Berkeley Guest House for your wedding accommodation, you won't be let down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ClaireandHarri, Owner at Vale of Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hi Jenny
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, we hope you enjoyed your subsequent honeymoon and got a well earnt rest to recover from the celebrations.
It was a pleasure having you and your family to stay here at the Vale of Berkeley Guest House. This was the first "wedding weekend" booking we have done and we learnt a lot from the experience so thank you for bearing with us, I know Claire especially found the experience quite emotional and really felt like she was involved in your celebrations. Can you also thank your parents for the kind note they sent us. We ourselves have only just returned from attending a wedding overseas so apologies for the slow response to your review. It would be fantastic to see you all again in the future maybe when you are looking to celebrate an anniversary?
Best Wishes Harri & Claire

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Vale of Berkeley Guest House for 2 nights,we received a very warm welcome from Claire & Harry upon our arrival,the room was very clean and tidy,and the hospitality was excellant,and we will definately return sometime in the summer for a weekend,as Harry & Claire took time to explain about everything we could do and where we go to enjoy our stay in the area and we would highly recommend this Guest House to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ClaireandHarri, Owner at Vale of Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hi Guys
Thank you for the review and your nice comments. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back. I hope all was good at home when you got back with the kids. As you are so keen on Indian food maybe we can all go for a "Ruby" next time.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My Wife and i are in our young twenties and wouldn't usually stay in a B&B however i was visiting friends that live local and the local hotels didn't seem to have reviews that filled me with confidence. I booked the VOB Guest house down to the great reviews, it is just as good as the reviews say. Amazingly clean and they have really thought of everything even down to the smallest things. Harri and Claire are very friendly and you instantly get the feeling they will do anything for you. They even dropped us down to the local town pub so that we didn't have to get a taxi to meet friends. The breakfast was very nice and they had a wide variety to choose from. I had poached eggs and they where cooked to perfection. i will definitely be staying here for my next trips. This guest house has really changed my view on always staying in a hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ClaireandHarri, Owner at Vale of Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi Dan
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here recently. It is heartwarming to hear that following your stay you have changed your mind regarding staying in future at Guest Houses and B&B's - we felt the same way before we got into this business.
It was a pleasure to have you guys here and we would love to see you return perhaps in the summer with your dog, when you can get out into our gardens and walk in the fields behind.
Happy sailing
Kind regards Harri & Claire

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a good roadside B&B, close to Slimbridge WWT. Many positives including a very comfortable super king size bed, very clean, fresh décor and furnishings. We were a bit concerned about traffic noise as it is right by the A38 but the double glazing is effective if you keep the windows closed. Harri is an enthusiastic host, carrying bags and making us a welcome cup of tea on arrival. Claire cooked a lovely breakfast with lots of choices.

On the negative side, £100 for the room seemed a lot especially as breakfast was £5 extra each. OK, there were 3 of us but the room is pretty small as a family room.

Overall, Vale of Berkeley works as a B&B, but it just doesn't have the wow factor to take it above a 4 rating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LiztheWhizz
ClaireandHarri, Owner at Vale of Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, we are pleased you found the room clean and comfortable and you enjoyed the breakfast. We are pleased to have been able to supply the gluten free bread you requested on arrival.
It was our intention when we took over 18 months ago to be as inclusive as possible, hence the option for parties of 3 in room 4 our largest room.
Following your feedback we have looked at this again and now removed the option of letting room 4 as a family room to avoid disappointing future guests because of it's size, it will now only be available to couples/twins.
Your rate was slightly more than our standard rate due to the fact it was Christmas week and the two of us run this business on our own.
Breakfast is clearly identified as an extra charge when you book as previous feedback from guests (regular contractors working in the area) has indicated that not all require it.
Kind regards Harri & Claire

Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife & I had planned to visit Slimbridge WWT and a few NT properties in the locality so really just needed somewhere to act as a base for the weekend (we stayed 3 nights). We booked the cheapest room they had on offer and that was quite late in the day, so we did well to find a vacancy. We had no idea, beyond the on-line description, what we had booked. I am SO pleased we chose the VoB and will try and outline all the strengths below.

1. Spotlessly clean... no, I really mean spotless. There was no dust, dirt, odour, fluff... it was immaculate throughout
2. Customer service... Harri & Claire are so friendly that after just a few hours it felt that we had known them forever. Nothing was too much for them. They would offer a cup of tea whenever we came in at the end of our day out, they made us up a thermos of hot tea for our trips, they had an excellent understanding of the locality and could advise on food, trips, anything.
3. Food - excellent in every way, great choice of breakfasts, very generous helpings (or less if you prefer). They also offer midweek evening meals for those who may want it.
4. Extra touches - they were very happy for us to order a take-away, then they prepared a space in the breakfast room for us with plates, cutlery, water, quiet music.... it was like having a restaurant all to ourselves (I bet they'd have provided candle-light if we'd asked for it!). At the end they asked us to simply leave it all on the tables for them to clear up. No extra charge, they just longed for this to be the best stay of our lives. They also provide a superb file of brochures and menus for the surrounding district. And free wifi.
5. Rooms - we had booked the smallest, cheapest room. Although compact it had sufficient space and storage, an excellent en-suite, blackouts, was warm, light, clean, thoughtfully appointed.... etc. My wife & I are both slim, outdoor types so we don't demand a lot of space; if you are "of fuller figure" or like to bring a mountain of luggage just let them know & they will find you a bigger room, but, as I said, it was more than sufficient for us and the surrounding rooms looked much bigger, so plenty of choice.

So, what of the weaknesses? Well, for the life of me I have been trying to find something to balance the review above and simply cannot fault or criticise anything; they were amazing hosts, lovely in every way, and made our stay a real joy & delight. Would I recommend it to others? Without a doubt. Would I go back? Like a shot. Will I actively tell others about how great they were? Well that's all part of the story of a great weekend away, isn't it.

Do go, do plan on enjoying yourselves, do stay for an extra night or two. If you have a disability or special requirement and worry if they can accommodate you then I would definitely recommend phoning them and asking as I bet they would do better than a purpose built place, and even if not they would give you sound advice and alternatives. We were quite sad to say goodbe and leave at the end of our stay. THANK YOU Harri & Claire.... you're the best!

Room Tip: Email them and ask them what they would suggest, they have quite a range, all looked pretty good to me. There is a main road nearby, we overlooked it yet were not disturbed at all.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pcollingridge
ClaireandHarri, Owner at Vale of Berkeley Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hi Guys.
When we read a review like yours, it reinforces why we thought we could run a guest house and tells us that we are on the right track. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and glowing review of our humble establishment.
We are 18 months into this voyage now and have learnt a lot from all our guests but every day we learn more.
Certainly we will be offering candles in the future to couples dining here. It is a shame the weather was not kinder to you as our gardens are a lovely place to picnic or barbecue in the summer which I think you would have enjoyed.
I hope your stay was stimulating and relaxing for you both, you deserve some quality time together and a short break from your day to day pressures and responsibilities.
We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Best Wishes Harri & Claire