“You helped us to enjoy our daughter's wedding”

Bay Prince of Wales Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berkeley
Ramsgate
“You helped us to enjoy our daughter's wedding”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We needed an hotel close to Tytherington and as we have stayed with Shearings before, chose the Prince of Wales. My husband ordered a welcome gift to help us celebrate and you arranged perfect weather, we sat with the patio door open and drank a toast to the happy couple. I was concerned that the road noise would disturb me as I sleep badly but it was very quiet. We enjoyed the wedding and would stay again if we could have the same room!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review, I am pleased you had a lovely time at your daughters wedding and enjoyed your stay here at The Prince of Wales, We look forward to seeing you again and would be happy to allocate you the same room if you let us know when you re-book.

Melanie Mann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was my first coach holiday with Shearings, and I must say I was very pleased with the value and service from start to finish. The Interchange at Stretton was very well organised, I am in awe of the staff there, especially the drivers, who, as there was a bad accident on the M6 which consequently delayed most of the return journeys, jumped out of their coaches and helped to load the luggage of the returning coaches onto the feeders. Our driver Alan Steed had been driving for at least 6 hours, but still was happy to help others at the interchange. Very well done Shearings, this place is a credit to you.
The hotel was lovely, friendly staff, plenty of room in the bedrooms, and excellent food. However, I must mention that myself and other guests did think that some people just come on these trips to moan. The Liverpool couple who got up and walked out because their dessert was "late" ought to be ashamed of themselves. Our waiter Tom, who was a student probably on minimum wage, worked so hard all week, and because people came down for dinner at different times, the poor lad had to remember who was on their starter, and who was on their main etc... I mean you're not at the Ritz... these people need to get a life.
The day trips were brilliant, Alan really was knowlegable about the local area, and we had lots of little add-ons!
Slimbridge was the best trip in my opinion, although Bath and Cheltenham were just as good.
Overall very well organised, excellent welcome, excellent food, excellent service, awesome coach driver!
I will certainly go back

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Treejo
pow33, General Manager at Bay Prince of Wales Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
You say 'Fantastic value' and I,d like to say 'Fantastic review', its great that you enjoyed all aspects of your first holiday with us and we look forward to your return.
ps BothTom and Alan are lovely, real assests to the hotel and company.

Lambourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I was here for a training session and was very impressed with the customer service and indeed the buffet lunch.
Hotel general areas have probably seen better days but the staff were hard working and helpful.
There were several older people asleep on what looked like very comfy sofas!

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Holidaysrus09
Thank you for your comments, I will pass them on to all concerned, (Im sure you would have enjoyed the luxury of dozing on the comfy sofas as much as our holiday makers instead of working away on your training course, I know which one I would prefer!!)

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We turned up at 10.30 to have a meeting and a coffee. The lady on the desk was unbelievably rude and miserable. When we asked if we could use the bar area and have a coffee she looked at us like we had personally offended her! I don't think this kind of service is a good idea in this day and age. Will NEVER go there again which is a shame as we are looking for somewhere to hold our staff dinners. I'm sure the other staff are lovely - but she really let them and the hotel down

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank mcdesign2016
I am sorry to read your comments and very disappointed at the lack of service you received. This is not the norm from any of my staff and I can only assume the person concerned was not at her best that day, Please accept my sincere apologies.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

stayed at this hotel on a five day holiday with shearings a couple of weeks ago and was glad to leave, the hotel is isolated and you would need your own transport, the grounds that it stands in is mostly taken up by the car park and the gardens are not maintained as they should be, the food was very basic and tasteless, the waiters were very stressed and we had to wait ages between each course it was utter chaos, our room was very basic with ancient tv , the entertainment was embarrassing and you couldn't get away from it as you can here it clearly in the bedroom. the staff were not interested and seemed to look down on the guests, probably the worst shearings holiday we have ever been on, the only saving grace was our driver Lawrence he kept everyone laughing with his jokes and made the trips out very interesting.

5 Thank lou w
I am disappointed you didnt enjoy your holiday, as you have sent in this review I assume that you would have read previous reviews on this site, some do state that the hotel is not in a resort which is why I explain coach guests get the option of daily trips, Whilst I appreciate it is your personal view I would disagree with some of your comments regarding the entertainers and hotel staff, both of which work very hard and are always cheerful in doing so. I am very proud of my little team who although not perfect (who is) always do their best to ensure our guests have a good holiday, I am sorry this time we did not achieve this.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A very relaxing weekend spent at The Prince of Wales hotel. Staff very friendly. Food good quality home cooking. Service excellent. We had a lovely room with a big corner bath and a four poster bed. Very good value for money. We plan to stay there again later in the year.

1 Thank Joan502013
Thank you for your lovely review, everything we set out to acheive, we look forward to welcoming you back later in the year.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We can recommend the Prince of Wales as this was our third visit this year
We fancied another last minute self drive weekend away (2nd August for 3 nights) so easily booked online then rang up to confirm our request a ground floor room-very helpful receptionist had a slight problem with our booking, however Melanie returned our call explaining that Shearings head office update their computers at night so it wasn't on the system yet, but no problem with a ground floor room.
Our room was very light and airy and the bedlinen & television had been updated since our last visit. We enjoyed all our meals and service was generally very good although there was a delay on sunday evening (which we think was due to a staff shortage)
All the staff were ready to help and full of smiles - Thank you everyone!
We enjoyed the entertainment Ian Lockyer and George (?) but were sorry there was nothing on Friday- it is a shame more people do not support the artists.
As there are still many places to explore by car in the area, I'm sure we will be back again

Room Tip: There are 4 steps up to the ground floor bedrooms-