“Please hurry the re-furb...for the sake of future guests, not me.”

Village Hotel Manchester Hyde
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hyde
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Please hurry the re-furb...for the sake of future guests, not me.”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I've stayed here a few times over the last couple of years and just watched the whole place deteriorate...
The parking has never been easy but while the upgrade work has been going on, frankly it's ridiculous. I had to park in a street nearby because half of the car park is fenced off for contractors use. Of course I appreciate that this is a fitness centre, and is obviously quite popular judging by the number of members blocking the reception entrance every time I try to get in and out of the place, but there hasn't been a single time I've stayed when I've parked easily, yet once the gym members have gone home, there's plenty of room...So my car is now two streets away and the car park is half empty. The last time was the last straw...I had to stay at the last minute and was offered a room on the second floor, right by the stairwell...I must have been tired because it never occurred to me that this fire door would be banging for most of the night...
The room was worse than tatty, there were chips in the plaster, the furniture was scuffed and scratched, the mirror was badly marked, and even items in the bathroom were either hanging off or missing completely. This was clearly one of the rooms awaiting re-furb.

The telly didn't work properly and the wi-fi was slower than my 3G signal on my phone, so pretty much useless.

Still, last minute, and during a re-furb? what did I expect? I'll tell you what I expected...a little warning that things weren't as they would have liked....a sort of forward thinking apology about the dust and poor state of the room, maybe even just a little concession on the room rate so that at least I could prepare myself for a less than perfect stay...

Ah well... although I politely mentioned a few things at check-out the following morning, and received a very polite and apologetic e-mail from the Manageress offering a reduced rate stay next time, I just can't see there being a next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Sean B, Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Hyde, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on line and my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations on your stay.

As mentioned in your review we are undergoing works in our leisure club changing rooms at present to improve the facilities we offer to our members and to our hotel guests and due to these works have had to take a section of the car park off in order to service these works. We do have a large over flow car park at the side of the hotel, but it seems on your visit the hotel was very busy.

We are currently going through an upgrade on our bedrooms too which is proving a welcome refresh to our guests.

My apologies that you also had issues regarding WIFI, this was upgraded at the begining of the year so i will check and ensure that the room you occupied was not in a dark spot area and get this rectified as soon as possible.

Should you wish to re visit the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me prior to booking on emma.raybould@village-hotels.com

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Refurbished changing rooms and showers are a great improvement - staff are lovely. There a great variety of classes and no limit to how many classes you can use each week,
The trainers are a
Ways on hand and ready to help - I love it,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Jane,

Thank you so much for your review, so pleased that you are happy with the new Wet areas in the chaging area, all should be back up and running as normal by the end of next week.

I must say i am personally very pleased with the works they look fantastic!

Thanks and see you very soon
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Currently staying here and frankly chuffed as nuts. Staying here on business travel on own away from home for 2 nights and I couldn't be happier with location, staff, food and room.

The staff gave made this stay lovely. Friendly and helpful. Check in easy, the bar is really relaxed and not stuffy like other hotels and the food is awesome. Had burger last night and scampi tonight - both presented beautifully and tasted lovely.

Will recommend to others within my company for sure.

Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you so much for your review so great to hear you are enjoying your time with us i hope that this continued with your stay.

We pride ourselves on being a home away from Home to our long stay guests and it seems this has worked well with yourself.

We look forward to seeing you again Soon
Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have stayed in other Village hotels but this one doesn't live up to the high standards of the others. The reception area and restaurant were really nice but the rooms are a huge let down. The bed was very uncomfortable, the room was incredibly hot but with no air con and there was a lot of dust. The rooms need updating to the same standard as the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KateV90
Thank you for your review of the hotel we hope that you enjoyed your stay,

The hotel is currently undergoing an upgrade of all of the bedrooms and should hopefully be completed by 2015.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon to see the improvements that have been made.

Kindest Regards
Wales
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel on business in July and it was perfectly fine. To be honest I'm probably being a little harsh in my rating but it's a little above average and a little below very good.

The large pool in the leisure centre (visible through massive windows from reception) did seem to make it feel a little humid, and the leisure centre aspect of the place does seem to be the main thrust of the business with an endless stream of locals coming in to use the facility.

The restaurant meal we had on evening one was above expectation, although to be fair the breakfasts were a little below so they kind of cancel out :-)

Room was clean, tidy and well appointed. No complaints there. The rest of the hotel? Perhaps a little in need of a re-fresh, but again nothing that would grate on your nerves.

Overall, fine to be honest - just wouldn't set anyone's hair on fire.

Free wifi available, but didn't work in my room so I had to open the laptop in reception to run emails - that was a niggle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Sean B, Manager at Village Hotel Manchester Hyde, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thanks for the detailed feedback i will be passing this on to all the teams.
Im glad you liked our hotel and enjoyed your stay, if you do stay with us again please request on reception to allocate you a bedroom with stronger WIFI signal so you dont come across any problems.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just had a 1 night stay here as a couple and found the staff very helpfull the standard room was ok clean n tidy, had a gud meal in the victory pub, used the pool which was ok.
Overall our stay was fine and wud return again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive feedback, we will hopefully see you again in the near future.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've stayed at quite a few Village Urban Hotels, this one seemed a lot smaller than the others. But the building has a lot of character and is warmly decorated.
The room we stayed in was nice, the bathroom was slightly small. The shower was easy to use.
The bed was so comfy.
The bar was spacious and food was served after a short wait.
All the staff we encountered were polite and helpful.

We unfortunately didn't have time to use the pool.

All-in-all it was an enjoyable stay and we would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Great to see you enjoyed your stay, hopefully you will have time to enjoy the pool next time.

Deputy Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyde
Village Hotel Manchester Ashton
Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne
Travelodge Ashton Under Lyne
#2 of 3 in Ashton-under-Lyne
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park

Been to Village Hotel Manchester Hyde? Share your experiences!