“Great stay”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We came here on the 15th November as we were going to a concert at the Phones 4 U arena. The whole area of Media City is really nice, and very modern. First impression of the Hotel was good, the lady on the reception who checked us in was very enthusiastic and very helpful. We were in a room on the 8th floor overlooking the city area. The view wasn't the best, a lot of building work going on but we weren't really there for the view! The room was nice and warm, VERY clean, it had a comfy chair and what looked like an office desk and chair in the room, mini bar, safe, tea making facilities and even an iron and ironing board!! The bathroom was lovely and lit with green ambient lighting, and there was a nice big bath. If i was going to pick any fault it would be the bed! It seemed to sink in the middle, we spent most of the night trying to not roll into each other at every opportunity, also the pillows could have been a bit better. The hotel is in a great location, very easy to get to the tram stop which takes you all over the city. You can also park in the multi story car park over the supermarket and if you validate your ticket it's £7 for 24 hours instead of £15. I still gave this place an excellent rating, even though the bed was a bit naff and there was a fair bit of noise coming from certain areas, you can't control what other people do and it didn't ruin my stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Teresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
DMFAN2,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

Many thanks for your recent constructive feedback regarding your stay here with us and hope to see you return in the near future.

Teresa Hatton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on wed 13/11/13 cannot fault this hotel at all, the reception staff very friendly and helpful, the room number1031 was excellent very large with a wonderful view over the city, the room was spotless and the bathroom was the best we have had in any hotel we have stayed in. We did not eat in the hotel except for the breakfast which was worth having a good choice of cooked or cereal and fresh fruit, again the staff very welcoming. We would recomend this hotel and would certainly stay there again

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
RodneyH,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

Many thanks for your recent feedback regarding your stay here with us and hope to see you return in the near future.

Surrey
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked here just because it was the nearest one to the Lowry Centre (where we were going) and Olga Polizzi had recommended Holiday Inn and I like her forthrightness. As we were only there one night we thought we might as well just go to the nearest but what a pleasant surprise! It was just like being in an intimate privately owned hotel not a large chain. The hotel is large, modern and right next to the BBC so the decor was TV themed but tastefully - black and white blown up, cropped in pictures etc. The views are amazing for a city site as it's on the Salford Quays complex (a mixture of Canary Wharf and Venice) and we could see Manchester United's Old Trafford ground from the corridor window (Apparently guests ask for a view of this but it can only be seen from the side not the rooms themseves and shouldn't it be called Salford United!!!!!!!). We were on the 15th floor in an odd numbered room so had a good view, our friends were on the even side and their view was not quite as good so bear that in mind. Rooms really clean (hoorah) AND COMFY. Only thing missing was hair conditioner but that seems to be common now and that's a shame. OOh yes, the safe was at a decent height too (I have been in hotels where one needed to be on tiptoe to see in and I'm not short). The staff were so knowledgeable and friendly and very welcome. As we were due at the Lowry for 7pm and hadn't arrived til 6 as the traffic up was so bad, we were hungry after the show but the jolly bar staff were very accommodating despite the late hour we returned and made us up fresh sandwiches.
We decided to have the additional £10 breakast and that was well worth the money with everything one could ask for in a beautifully decorated mezzanine room. Parking was just off site and was ok-ish pricewise (the days of free hotel parking seem to have long gone now). We are thinking of returning to see more of the area and use this hotel again as it was such a good experience.We have even joined their Loyalty Club. Well done Holiday Inn **********

Room Tip: Ask for a high room viewing the BBC for a citywide view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Teresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Bunty666,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

Many thanks for your review. Looking forward to your return to us int he near future.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 12 November 2013

While out of the city center, the location is pleasant, situated as it is along the quays, canals and bridges of Salford. There are a handful of restaurants among the office towers in the newly developed area. Tram service into the city center begins a block away from the hotel.

For what is, I presume, a new building, the modern rooms are oddly creaky and squeaky. Our 16th floor room had a safe, one robe, kettle, modern bath and BIG, fluffy towels. Wifi is included with a fast connection. The mini bar cannot be used as a mini fridge, however, and the bed was too hard for both our backs (though I was able to upgrade the pillow situation). The room was of average size with a reading chair, desk, and no drawers into which a traveller might unpack.

While service was sincere and friendly, the staff could easily up their game. The only tourist info offered at the front desk is a photocopied Google map to Old Trafford stadium, so bring your own city/tourist map. The waitstaff advised us at 10:15 the restaurant was closed but not that we could eat in the bar, so we found dinner nearby. Maintenance issues went slowly or simply unresolved.

Of course, none of these seriously impacted our stay, but they made us wish for more attention to detail. Perhaps typical of a large business hotel.

Room Tip: Upper-floor rooms have good views.
Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience that you encountered at the Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK. It is our intention at all times to ensure that our guests are made to feel welcome whilst staying with us; therefore I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I first reviewed this property when it had just opened and despite frustrations with the TV system on the whole it worked well it offered good value for money and was operated by a great bunch of friendly staff

But time has rolled on, the BBC has arrived in Media City and the whole Salford Quays area has grown and developed. Now this hotel clearly has business coming out of its ears and oh boy have they found ways to milk it.

Like most regular travellers I am well acquainted with the concept of revenue management and pricing driven by demand and also like most regular travellers I am happy to play the game of booking well in advance buying a discounted advance rate if I am sure of my travel arrangements or paying a premium for a Flexible rate if I need the fall back of being able to cancel.

This hotel is the first place I have ever come across the concept of paying a premium for a Flexible rate and finding that it is none refundable, so you get the privilege of paying more money for your room without the ability to change arrangements. My incredulity at this apparent paradox led to an extended phone call to the IHG reservation centre where the agent on the phone was just as perplexed as I was but eventually confirmed that this was indeed how the price level were set at this hotel

I can only conclude that business levels are so strong that the odd person disenchanted with this system is a price worth paying as someone else credit card in hand waits in line for a room. I understand more development is scheduled for this area I for one can't wait to see how long this cavalier approach to customers persists.

And by the way the original teething problems with the TV system were fixed. Only now they have changed it again so if you have stayed here before and happily set the TV to record a programme, something which the system claims to do, don't expect your programme to be there when you want to watch it. The system might give you every indication it has accepted the instruction but it hasn't as it no longer records, presumably it was too much effort to change the on screen information.

You might also save your time signing the waiver to get access to your in-room mini bar. In my experience that doesn't work either and we ended up with a late night visit by a member of the reception team with remote control in hand to gain access to the desperately needed water stored within. The reason it was so needed? the A/C thermostat wasn't working and no matter where it was set it roared the heat of a jet engine into the room.

All in all very disappointing - this hotel has definitely changed its approach to customers.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the weekend ask for one distant from the lifts it can get noisy in the corrid...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
themaininroom999,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

Many thanks for your constructive feedback and for choosing this IHG property.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Spent the night here last night and it's a great site and brilliant location.
Starting, easy to find. Parking is secure (£7 overnight so not bad) and it's 100yds from the hotel.
Excellent reception staff, very friendly and knowledgable, that's always nice.
Room was very modern, basic but very modern and roomy. Nice bottled water and kick at complimentary. Great workstation in the room with everything at arms reach. Nice fast free wifi too.
Breakfast was good too, the whole place is spotlessly clean and location is great with some nice people watching from the floor to ceiling windows in the room.
As one previous client mentioned, incredible how such a modern hotel has such creaky floors, not a problem but. I certainly noticed it. My only weakness thoughts are, home of the media and the TV was tiny in the room compared to most modern day hotels, I mean it looked like a portable sat on the wall, and the pillows on the bed where pretty flat with no extra pillows in the wardrobe like usual, but all in all it was an excellent night and I would recommend and will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a city facing high up room for the views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Teresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Hubz72,

Many Thanks for your review of your stay with us last evening. Glad everything went well and that the creeky floors did not disturb you. Unfortunately the floors are with us to stay! Hope to have you return to stay with us in the near future.

sheffield
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Felt the need to say something.
I have never felt so dissapointed with an overnight stay.
Despite ringing ahead to advise I would be checking in late and ask regards the restaurant opening hours...I was told 11pm.
We arrived just after 10pm to find the kitchen/ restaurant closed for the evening. Despite our desperation to eat something... We only wanted a light bite- sandwich or cheese board- staff seemed impotent to help. they furnished us with some takeaway menus for kebabs and Burgers or advised of a restaurant nearby.
We had travelled to a strange city- we wanted to relax not far from our room...room service would be lovely- it was advertised but not available.

Room was excellent.

Breakfast
Paid £10 each to be told there was no water in the kitchen... So no chance of a coffee..I got a stewed cup of tea and obviously some water was available from somewhere as they watered the orange juice down with it.

I didn't want to complain just leave... I had a really important day ahead of me and starting it well was more important than complaining.
However, it was obvious to staff at checkout...and they took my details for the General Manager to contact me....they haven't done.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want to eat on site
2 Thank myfamily_animals
Teresa H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference: Holiday Inn Manchester-MediaCityUK

I have not received your details; therefore I was unaware of your details until now. Please do email your details so I can make contact with you.
thatton@peel.co.uk

Teresa Hatton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Premier Inn Manchester Salford Quays Hotel
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays
Hotel Football Old Trafford
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays

Been to Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK? Share your experiences!