Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Salford
London, United Kingdom
“Holiday Bin”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I really hate leaving bad reviews but on this occasion, I can't leave one that's other than bad.

I stayed checked in last Thursday for 3 nights, the Holiday Inn at MediaCityUK was fully booked and work booked me the next best thing. Unfortunately, it fell far short of what I expected of other HIE hotels.

The room was nice enough, very basic but I was happy with that. I was disappointed with the bathroom as it felt dirty but I didn't grumble and just cleaned it up a bit and it was ok. The bed however felt old and lumpy and had unsettled sleep on it and also the air con unit was noisy and emanated a very dry heat and air which blew down as I slept.

The breakfast itself was an absolute joke, the Friday morning was ok as I was running late and I just grabbed a slice of toast and left, but the Saturday was an absolute debacle. I have never seen so much orange juice spilt on the floor in my life, the floor was also sticky and it was a scene of chaos. There were no plates, so another customer asked for more plates. There were no glasses so I used a mug for juice as the one girl that was on duty was away looking for plates. When I went back to get a cup of tea, there were no mugs, so I had to ask the girl to get me a mug. When I went to get some breakfast, there was only bread left but no pastries like croissants. The cooked breakfast was a joke, there were sausages and scrambled eggs but the beans were empty so I waited for the beans to come out but by that time, the rest of my food was cold so I gave up. They then ran out of milk so another customer had to ask for some. It was such a disaster that I gave up and left. On Sunday morning, I woke up for breakfast and a horrible feeling of dread, so to save the hassle and chaos, myself and my colleague walked to Frankie and Bennies and paid for Breakfast, neither of us could handle the headache that was the day before.

Next time I'm up working in MediaCityUK, I'm going to recommend I'm not booked into the HIE, I think I rather stay in Manchester City Centre, or the Premier Inn nearby if I can't get in the HI. A colleague stayed at the Premier Inn and said it was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GM_Salford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Kat_Orr
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, and was particularly disappointed to read of your experience on Saturday morning’s breakfast. I would like to apologise for this and I will personally pass your feedback on to the team who were on that morning, so that we can look to improve our service.

I do hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, and I hope that if you were to stay with us again, you would notice some positive improvements.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Wallsend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

For a hotel in the budget range this was excellent. Managed to park right outside and only £3 a night the parking was much cheaper than other hotels I had looked at. All the reception staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful. There was a bar, a vending area and a Starbucks machine which was a convenience although there are plenty places to eat within walking distance. the room was comfortable and the décor was "modern hotel" but stylish and most importantly clean.
breakfast was included in the price and was buffet style/self service. It was perfectly adequate, after all I didn't choose the hotel for the food!
We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a great view from the 5th floor!
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here as part of a small group and we had rooms on the 5th floor. On arriving I was delighted to be able to park so easily as this is not always case in City hotels. The next bit of good news was the Reception Desk where the young lady was pleasant, efficient and with a smile on her face really made you feel welcome. The room was spotless and well appointed with a view over the Manchester Ship Canal.

We had drinks in the bar and the service was OK. Checkout was painless and quick. There are restaurants nearby and it is a pleasant place to walk around first thing in the morning.

I do not eat a cooked breakfast and was quite happy with croissants, cheese and coffee. The only adverse comment I heard about the cooked breakfast was "No Bacon"

All in all a good stay and will stay again next time I am in Manchester.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Liversedge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed on 1 November and had a pleasant stay apart from expedia not booking us a room with a sofa bed so fortunately the hotel had a room for 4 so could accommodate on this occasion. Clean and functional and short walk to media city, the lowry and restaurants. The big problem now is that a number of weeks later I received a fine from a parking eye re parking there without paying. I really don't remember if I was asked to pay the £3 or not but I am sure if I had when I checked in I would have paid it. For this I have downgraded my score as its frustrating.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brickbaby
GM_Salford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Brickbaby,

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Manchester Salford Quays.

I’m sorry to read that you had issues on check-in regarding the room setup, however I’m pleased that the team were able to rectify this issue and you highlighted the cleanliness of the room.

With regards to Car parking at the hotel, we do advertise parking charges on all our websites, to ensure that the guests are aware of this, when making they’re bookings, and we do also have numerous signs around the car park and on the reception desk and at the bar, asking all residents to register their cars to avoid car parking fines, and I will send you a private message so that we can investigate your car parking fine further.

Dalton in Furness
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This was my first experience of a Holiday Inn Express after staying in many similar range/type hotels and to be honest, I was left a little disappointed.
The room comfort, cleanliness and sleep quality was excellent - no arguments there. Our room on the 4th floor had a view of Old Trafford and the Quays. We slept well, with the window open until inconsiderate noisy guest's, on the car park woke us. With the window closed, we never heard another sound.
Check in was a little slow, but not the fault of the Receptionist's, it seemed to be the system that was slow.
It was little things that let this hotel down - poor quality cutlery at breakfast like a works canteen, the cheapest toilet paper in bathroom, UHT milk that curdled when added to tea. And then 'complementary' breakfast? I don't call it 'complimentary' when I've paid £110 for the room for the night and an extra £3 for the car park? Breakfast - just not for me! The usual cold selection plus a hot choice of scrambled egg, beans and sausage - and only average.
Good location, decent sleep quality - just a few tweaks and the whole experience could have been so much better and worth the price we paid!

Dear LadyG0lfer,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Manchester Salford Quays.

I was disappointed to read about the comments which you raised and I would like to thank you for raising providing us with your feedback, and will certainly look into these matters further.

I was pleased to read that you found your room to be both clean and comfortable and I hope that should you return to the Manchester area, you do not hesitate in staying with us again.

Pontypool, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed here on Monday.clean,modern and friendly.and very well located for the tv studios, which was the reason for our trip,as my step father was filming for countdown again.the hotel is next to the Lowry shopping outlet which was very nice.would definitely use and recommend this hotel :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Barnstoneworth
Reviewed 14 November 2013

For the price and location you can't really complain, but, since our last visit, the quality of the scrambled egg available at breakfast has deteriorated from pleasantly moist and mobile to dry and solid. They also need to look at the juice machine, as the liquid coming out of it was undrinkable. However, all staff we encountered - front desk, breakfast team & room maids - were more than helpful, friendly and polite.
I also had one of the best sleeps I have ever experienced in a Holiday Inn Express - excellent mattress and comfortable sheets.
Will no doubt return, and hope breakfast quality has improved.