“A night stay for the football.”
Review of Beaucliffe Hotel

Beaucliffe Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“A night stay for the football.”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The location of the hotel is good, it’s not too far from Old Trafford, the hotel has a car park. We got a cab to the ground and it cost £8.

So that gives the hotel a very positive start, we were booked a cab by the staff. They give you a key for the front door, so you can come and go as you please.

The place itself is old, and can do with a bit of touching up, the corridors etc.

I will say this, it cost me half what it would’ve cost me to stay here compared to any chain hotels, and at the time of booking which was a month before the game. So the value was great compared to elsewhere.

Had a twin bed room, beds were clean, had fresh towels. Room despite being old wasn't dusty, & didn't smell.

Bed was quite comfy, wasn’t lumpy etc, a basic electric shower is available, not a great deal of pressure, but it got the job done. Some shampoo, shower gel is provided a nice touch.

I did get a good night sleep, probably because this away day was a lot more successful than my last so I had a lot more to drink, I know the bed hadn't caused my headache, that’ll be the San Miguel and Kingfisher the night before.

I didn't eat the breakfast, so I can't comment on that.

Bottom line, this place is not as nice as an upscale hotel, or a half decent chain hotel, but it was a comfortable stay.

When you’ve only just got an away day ticket a month before the game kicks off, you can probably do worse than the Beaucliffe, and like I did you'll find choice quite limited. I was getting quoted £80 a night at hostels, £90 a night at the premier Inns with only a double bed. I used a couple of different websites and places to me were too expensive for one night.

For a night after being on the beer after a game, I’d use it again.

Room Tip: There is a sink in the main room, was weird to see.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I'm a 27 year old guy and I stayed here for one night as visiting a friend in Manchester.

Rooms smelt 'musty', miniscule TV, service was non-existent (no surprise), the bathroom was horrible and the bed was uncomfy.

Wouldn't recommend this place :(

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cheapshots

Travellers are raving about these Salford hotels

Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed a few months back for a man utd game. Hotel is dated and could do with a refurb. Rooms on the top floor are a bit cramped but beds were comfy. Breakfast was cooked to order and very nice. the breakfast staff were pleasant. didnt see any other staff during our stay apart from collecting our keys. Is a 15-20 min walk to nearest tram and a further 30 minutes by tram to old trafford so allow plenty of time to get there if for a match.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I had a single room with a single bed that had clean linen and was comfortable, good clean towels too; the only positive points really. The room had a peculiar musty smell, carpet ingrained with the dirt of years. Very dodgy plumbing - hot water eventually came after running the tap for for a good 10 minutes, but I didn't risk the shower which spattered alternate boiling and freezing water. I didn't sample the breakfast as I had to be out early on Sunday morning and it didn't start until 8am. The whole building is in need of a massive refurb; but I suppose the owners feel they don't need to bother so long as they can fill it at this standard.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We stayed at the Beaucliffe last Wednesday night, we had intended to stay two as the hotel we have used before had a room for only one night. on arrival we were handed two keys and told that our room was " up those stairs ". The double room we had booked was a single with a double bed in it. We are not big people but only one of us could get dressed at a time. The old pedestal wash basin in the corner had a hot top that swivelled around with a trickle of water coming out, as did the cold. The yellow cistern and white toilet were a delight as was the dirty water stain above the shower. At 8. 30 the next morning we were at our usual hotel and fortunately they had had a cancellation. Bliss.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
South Shields
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Having read a few reviews, things did not bode well for our visit (2 days : city break). However, we didn't pay the premium rate, and thought we might get a bargain on a discounted laterooms booking....wrong!
As all have mentioned the hotel is very dated. When we arrived the outside was nothing like the professional photo, with an unkept garden and frontage. Still, we're not snobs and just wanted cheap and clean digs to rest our heads at night. We were in room 18, and were surprised that payment was requested at the start of our stay, before we'd even been given keys to our room (we know why now). The room was very small, old fashioned and worn. The sheets were clean, but really, this was a single room with a double bed plonked in. Cobwebs all over the window, and extensive mold in the bathroom. There was only one bedside cabinet, and no room on the other side to get into bed, meaning one person would need to climb over the other to get out of bed. The bathroom was a bit of a joke, other than the mould, the door was a sliding affair, with large gaps either side. It also swung upwards (quite amusing) if you pushed it the wrong way as there were no sliders retaining the base of the door. Paper thin walls with old fashioned wallpaper, no bedside clock, cramped space (never enough for two persons to move around) and a broken cupboard (which I fixed) and taps that moved out of position when turned on completed the room.
To sum up, its was cheap, but far from cheerful, and in desperate need of a revamp/redecorate and repair. Decent location in Salford, with regular buses to the centre, and enough parking spaces (off road) were the only good points I can think of. Breakfast was passable. If you've booked already, got it cheap, and just use the room for crashing out as we did, then at least you'll get by - but its still pretty damn poor all round and we wouldn't dare come back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hull
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We booked this hotel so that we were on the doorstep for the Trafford Centre and Lego Land the next day. We requested a room to sleep 4, and thats what we got. 4 beds in a room with very little space for anything else.One of the beds didn't even touch the wall. The bedding had been washed however it had stains all over it. The bathroom was tiny and had mould in. It was only because I really needed a shower that i had to use it. We did manage to park the car outside the hotel. This hotel needs a major referbishment. I am not a snob by any standard however even the basic travel lodges would look posh compared to this hotel. The breakfast was ok

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nikki E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Novotel Manchester West
Travelodge Manchester Trafford Park
Hello Hotel Manchester
Hello Hotel Manchester
#1 of 2 in Swinton
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays

Been to Beaucliffe Hotel? Share your experiences!