“Scary”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Scary”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This has to be the grottiest B + B I have ever stayed in. Smelly, dirty and delapidated! Would have been better looking at a Premier Inn. Walls were paper thin and garden in the car park had a "meadow feel" to it but I guess it was more likely it had just not been cut!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steve K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 21 June 2013

My wife, 18-year-old daughter and I stayed here one night because we had to fly out early the next morning from Manchester. Be prepared: the rooms are very small -- each just fits the bed and a sink. Bathroom is small (in need of minor repairs). (My daughter liked the water pressure of the shower -- water flowed strongly.) We had two separate rooms and it was very affordable; best thing going for it -- so don't expect much else. We left too early for breakfast. Liked that there was separate parking, albeit only 8-10 spaces or so. Liked that it was a small hotel but you could hear other guests. I liked the firm beds. Not in a walkable area of Salford but we liked the White Horse Inn down the road a bit. Not much else in the area for restaurants. Only 15 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Desperately in need of refurbishment and redecoration. Cracked ceiling tiles, mould in shower, strange gurgling from the plumbing, could hear every footstep and conversation from other guests, really hard bed, no wifi in room, no hairdryer in room, little choice for breakfast if you don't like cereal , white bread or a full english. Took 5 minutes for water to become warm enough for a shower. Im not a skinny girl at size 16 but struggled to get through sliding shower doors. don't like to give bad reviews but this is how it was, I paid £69 for one night, should be around £30 max. Any good points - easy to find, parking and a couple of restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Salford hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

A dreadful but dry and warm 12 hour stay. At a basic level the TV worked and the towels and sheets were clean. There was a kettle with tea and coffee. Premier Inn do the same, but they don't have paper peeling from the walls, dirt and dubious spillages around the door frames, carpets, shower, etc. They also have a better standard of waterproof mattress protecter that doesn't wake you up feeling as though you've wet yourself (I hadn't).

This isn't somewhere I'd bring my wife and family and was like a very poor contractor hotel.

Breakfast was equally dire, although there was self-service cereal before the cooked breakfast. I chose the poached egg on toast option, and got a single wet poached egg on a slice of the cheapest white bread.

The experience cost me £30 which is cheaper than Premier Inn and it was close to my meeting destination the following day. Would I stay there again? No.

Room Tip: Any hotel but this one.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Darlington
Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed as part of a business trip here and stayed for 2 nights and I definitely wouldn't go back.

Good points:
- Great location, close to amenities and much more.
- Breakfast had a variety and was nice.
- Freeview tv in room was good.

Bad points:
- Hotel is in dire need of upgrading. The walls are a horrible yellow. The carpets look like they have been in since the hotel was built and are dirty with marks all over them, mine even had a big iron burn in it!
- The room I stayed in stunk. The heating was on full blast and I could not turn it off or down making it worse.
- The shower was awful. When I stepped in it the base felt like it was going to collapse as there was nothing underneath it. I had it the hottest it could go and could only manage to get moderate heat from it.
- The walls are so thin I could literally hear everything from all the rooms connected to mine. This was from above, below, and from 2 sides.
- The bed was terrible! It was so uncomfortable and the pillows were abysmal.

All of this and the fact that the cheapest room they do is £32 a night when 5 mins away you can stay in the ibis for £21 a night.

• Stayed February 2013
lancashire
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We stopped here last night. The property is outdated &seriously in need of refurbishment.
We were asked to pay up front and given the keys to our room. The room itself was small & boiling hot. When I sat on the bed I noticed that was that there was a plastic sound so I took a look and found a disgustingly filthy mattress protector which I immediately removed and remade up using original sheets. It was hit & miss as to really whether I wanted to sleep on the bed at all after seeing this. We decided to stop however & found the bed to be very comfortable and the sheets fresh & clean. Please note though hotel staff that sheets with holes in aren't really a good look!
After a surprisingly good nights sleep we went down for breakfast. We were served by a German lady who struggled to break a smile. Breakfast was orange juice, cereal, toast and a cooked breakfast. There was no extra provision for cooked breakfast for a vegetarian.

Room Tip: Cheap but not cheerful, you get what you pay for!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The location of the hotel is good, it’s not too far from Old Trafford, the hotel has a car park. We got a cab to the ground and it cost £8.

So that gives the hotel a very positive start, we were booked a cab by the staff. They give you a key for the front door, so you can come and go as you please.

The place itself is old, and can do with a bit of touching up, the corridors etc.

I will say this, it cost me half what it would’ve cost me to stay here compared to any chain hotels, and at the time of booking which was a month before the game. So the value was great compared to elsewhere.

Had a twin bed room, beds were clean, had fresh towels. Room despite being old wasn't dusty, & didn't smell.

Bed was quite comfy, wasn’t lumpy etc, a basic electric shower is available, not a great deal of pressure, but it got the job done. Some shampoo, shower gel is provided a nice touch.

I did get a good night sleep, probably because this away day was a lot more successful than my last so I had a lot more to drink, I know the bed hadn't caused my headache, that’ll be the San Miguel and Kingfisher the night before.

I didn't eat the breakfast, so I can't comment on that.

Bottom line, this place is not as nice as an upscale hotel, or a half decent chain hotel, but it was a comfortable stay.

When you’ve only just got an away day ticket a month before the game kicks off, you can probably do worse than the Beaucliffe, and like I did you'll find choice quite limited. I was getting quoted £80 a night at hostels, £90 a night at the premier Inns with only a double bed. I used a couple of different websites and places to me were too expensive for one night.

For a night after being on the beer after a game, I’d use it again.

Room Tip: There is a sink in the main room, was weird to see.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends