“Could be better”

Copthorne Hotel Manchester
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Four of us stayed prior to our visit at the Lowrey Theater as this was a good location, plenty of parking and a good deal we got on line. The staff were very pleasant and the hotel in general comfy with good seating and reasonable prices in the bar. The room was well equipped, tea making facilities, mini bar (who the hell uses these) excellent shower, comfy bed, so far so good. Then you see the downside of a tired hotel in need of attention, our carpet in the bedroom was threadbare, chair upholstery had seen better days and rusty marks in the bathroom left by a metal waste bin on cracked tiles. Maybe our "good deal" had put us in the rooms needing a revamp or maybe all the rooms are like this, we will never know as the receptionist had little to offer when we mentioned it to her. A little surprised at this as we had a great breakfast, well presented and helpful staff, a little TLC would give this a better rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Quay it's a good view from the window.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night and it was booked for us so we had no choice. I must admit I was worried as I had read some not so good reviews. However we had requested a quite room and as it was a business trip one of the group had visited the hotel to speak to the staff about us having decent rooms. It was a football weekend which we were attending and obviously the hotel was full of football fans as well as booked for a Christmas party function so I was concerned. I am pleased to say that we were put on the fourth floor and the room was really lovely, very clean and nice decor. I'm not sure if had been refurbished but going on the other Trip Advisor reports I suspect it was a superior room. The only thing was we didn't have a canal view so we could hear the road but I had brought my earplugs anyway as a precaution so had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good too. Staff all very pleasant, hotel was very busy.

Room Tip: Pay extra for fourth floor superior room canal view if possible
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Good sized room although they are a bit old and tired. Staff were all friendly and helpful. Wifi didn't work in the room. Room service was quick and the food was good. Overall, it just needs a bit of refreshing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Staff in the dining room were friendly on my one night business trip but the room was shocking. Carpet on the room floor was threadbare, the switch by the bed did not work and the shower thermostat was broken. This resulted in only pure hot water being delivered at a burning temperature. I hate to think what the consequences would have been of a child has used it! The worst thing was that when I reported this to reception there was not even an apology. Just a "thank you for bringing it to our attention". If that is how they treat guest I won't be one again!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank j n
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I have had the most disgusting experience ever in any eatery in my life. The bar staff where rude and discourteous and the manager weak, siding with a guest who threatened me with physical violence.
This was once a nice hotel.
Stay well away.
I will be complaining to the hotel and the group about the treatment of my badly debilitated son and myself.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Nick Natalia H
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located if you are visiting Old Trafford. We wanted to grab quick lunch at the bar before going for the tour but we literally had to chase the waitress to get our order. It took them more than 20 minutes to make simple sandwiches! Very poor food and overpriced - most basic sandwiches that start at 7 pounds.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

As indeed was I when I arrived, poor rooms really neede some TLC. Reception staff fine, all went well, bar OK but no real ales (not too unusual really). Advised to best give the in house restaraunt food 'a miss!' Took this advice although next morning buffet breakfast was very good. Rooms are a disgrace, not least the threadbare carpets and poor standard of decor in general. Thius makes you wonder about the overall cleanliness and hygiene, not a great way toi get to sleep! All in all well priced ut when you see the rooms you'll understand why. Use the Ramada or Premier Inn every time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Hotel Football Old Trafford
AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays
Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK

Been to Copthorne Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!