“good location”

Copthorne Hotel Manchester
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here over the parklife weekend. Our room was a good size, had a nice view on the 3rd floor. Only downfall was the broke lift so lugging suitcases up and down the stairs was not ideal. Extremely close to Old Trafford and Warehouse Project. Staff were friendly, bar is 24 hour. You can't lose with this place.

Room Tip: I weould avoid a room on the ground floor as two of my friends stayed in these and they were small a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 June 2014

It's a reasonably priced hotel, but. Older, not as clean as I would expect (mould in the hallway carpet). The elevators were not operating, and it's a 4 storey building - and there is no advance notice on bookings of this major issue. Even tho apparently the elevators have been out of service for weeks with no notice of when they will be repaired! Usually the lack of air conditioning is not an issue, but in this wonderful summer, the room facing east was uncomfortably hot.

I asked for early check-in after taking the red-eye over from North America, and received a brusque refusal, because "we don't do early check-in here".

The food is okay but not memorable, the lobby bar is good and service here is good.

But I will not be coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Excellent position for getting to a ball at Old Trafford. Room overlooked the river and was comfortable. Reception staff were helpful. Breakfast good. All in all a pleasant stay. Sat nav struggle to get there though. It took us round in circles!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel due to a business meeting being nearby. Upon arrival, I paid using my credit card, was not informed much about the room of the hotel, but was impressed by the decor within the hotel as I reached my room. I then received a Email stating that I had gone over my credit card limit. This worried me as I have a generous credit limit. After 15 mins on the phone to my CC providers, I was told that the hotel had charged the right amount from the card but then tried to put through another £6,600 2 mins after that! I was furious and went to reception to ask why this had happened. I got an apology and was offered a free drink at the bar. This was NOT sufficient as I did not want a drink and suggested that they reimburse my phonecall charges as it was to a 0870 number. They refused to offer anything further. Breakfast in the morning - not the best and the first 3 plates I picked up were dirty! This is a short version of events and I have complained about this incident directly to the hotels groups E-mail address but have had no response. My suggestion is to only stay in this Hotel if you are getting a very very cheap deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Who's Morgan - more later....
The hotel is a bit tired but bang in the middle of the Quays and a spit from Old Trafford - it's always going to be busy.
My bedroom was nice but unfortunately I had to take the stairs to get there as the lift was 'out of order'
I found the staff very friendly particularly Morgan........
The bar here is quite small and last night got swamped by an incoming
business group, at one point there was a queue about 10 deep.
Step up MORGAN a young man with a willing smile and a determined attitude. Boy did he work and despite my suggestion to reception that they get help quick The Alamo was not relieved. The kid didn't just cope he excelled and even got my teams 8 bar meals out to us somehow (the standard of which was at best 'out of hours' type fare)
So the moral of this story is........send the Duty Manager back to school to learn how to roll up the sleeves and manage peak flows meanwhile give MORGAN the job!
Sorry I can't comment on the restaurant except that it was all but empty, hope the kid gets that gig tomorrow.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Smudla
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Carpet in room was very very threadbare with huge patches of carpet with no carpet tufts on at all and just the carpet backing visible. Room dated but clean.Receptionist staff said that they were aware of this problem and that some rooms were being upgraded. Was not impressed by this attitude or response.
Room was very hot but could open the windows to let in some cool air.
Lift was not working during stay Fri - Sun.
Breakfast good with very hard working employees trying to do their best.
Tram stop very close so good location to get into Manchester. Day tram ticket £5.00 per adult.
Kept awake on Saturday night by slamming doors, drunken shouting at 4am as party of people returned from Heaton Park music festival. Slick of mud through hotel & all the way up the stairs from festival goers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Wi-Fi was a no show for 2 days straight despite the "engineers working very hard on fixing this".
The hotel restaurant was too expensive to dine in so we opted to go to the local tesco express and some restaurants nearby, proved a lot cheaper!
Otherwise, the bed was comfy, the room had a nice view but I didn't appreciate one receptionist. When asked for the Wi-Fi password, she looked as if I had insulted her and chucked the little piece of paper with the password on it to me. Otherwise, another Thai sort-of girl receptionist was very pleasant and sweet.
Very conveniently located next to the metrolink, if you mind being a little outside of Manchester be prepared to pay £2.60 for a single

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple