“The good the bad and the ugly”

Copthorne Hotel Manchester
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Salford
Eden
“The good the bad and the ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just spent a night at the Copthorne and we have to say this visit left us with mixed feelings!
The good, the friendly and helpful staff and the breakfast. The bad, the tired look of the whole hotel bedrooms and corridors. The ugly, silver gaffer tape holding the corridor carpet together along with several large ripples which is a accident waiting to happen, toilet cistern sounding like a hammer drill whilst filling up, bathroom fan covered in linen dust to the stage where its hardly moving air, thats without looking too hard and not to forget the very shabby sofa's in main reception which look like their ready for the refuse tip! Ps lifts still broken(15 June)
This was our third visit and probably our last to this hotel until its had a make over.

Room Tip: Try the larger rooms as the smaller one's are in need of a paint brush and new furniture
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The rooms are old and decayed.
I am visiting the hotel for business meeting in Manchester. I will spend one day and to go back London so I will not suffer too much.
They receptionists are kind and trying to help.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Amr Z

Travellers are raving about these Salford hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here over the parklife weekend. Our room was a good size, had a nice view on the 3rd floor. Only downfall was the broke lift so lugging suitcases up and down the stairs was not ideal. Extremely close to Old Trafford and Warehouse Project. Staff were friendly, bar is 24 hour. You can't lose with this place.

Room Tip: I weould avoid a room on the ground floor as two of my friends stayed in these and they were small a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

It's a reasonably priced hotel, but. Older, not as clean as I would expect (mould in the hallway carpet). The elevators were not operating, and it's a 4 storey building - and there is no advance notice on bookings of this major issue. Even tho apparently the elevators have been out of service for weeks with no notice of when they will be repaired! Usually the lack of air conditioning is not an issue, but in this wonderful summer, the room facing east was uncomfortably hot.

I asked for early check-in after taking the red-eye over from North America, and received a brusque refusal, because "we don't do early check-in here".

The food is okay but not memorable, the lobby bar is good and service here is good.

But I will not be coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Excellent position for getting to a ball at Old Trafford. Room overlooked the river and was comfortable. Reception staff were helpful. Breakfast good. All in all a pleasant stay. Sat nav struggle to get there though. It took us round in circles!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel due to a business meeting being nearby. Upon arrival, I paid using my credit card, was not informed much about the room of the hotel, but was impressed by the decor within the hotel as I reached my room. I then received a Email stating that I had gone over my credit card limit. This worried me as I have a generous credit limit. After 15 mins on the phone to my CC providers, I was told that the hotel had charged the right amount from the card but then tried to put through another £6,600 2 mins after that! I was furious and went to reception to ask why this had happened. I got an apology and was offered a free drink at the bar. This was NOT sufficient as I did not want a drink and suggested that they reimburse my phonecall charges as it was to a 0870 number. They refused to offer anything further. Breakfast in the morning - not the best and the first 3 plates I picked up were dirty! This is a short version of events and I have complained about this incident directly to the hotels groups E-mail address but have had no response. My suggestion is to only stay in this Hotel if you are getting a very very cheap deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Who's Morgan - more later....
The hotel is a bit tired but bang in the middle of the Quays and a spit from Old Trafford - it's always going to be busy.
My bedroom was nice but unfortunately I had to take the stairs to get there as the lift was 'out of order'
I found the staff very friendly particularly Morgan........
The bar here is quite small and last night got swamped by an incoming
business group, at one point there was a queue about 10 deep.
Step up MORGAN a young man with a willing smile and a determined attitude. Boy did he work and despite my suggestion to reception that they get help quick The Alamo was not relieved. The kid didn't just cope he excelled and even got my teams 8 bar meals out to us somehow (the standard of which was at best 'out of hours' type fare)
So the moral of this story is........send the Duty Manager back to school to learn how to roll up the sleeves and manage peak flows meanwhile give MORGAN the job!
Sorry I can't comment on the restaurant except that it was all but empty, hope the kid gets that gig tomorrow.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Smudla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays
Holiday Inn Express Manchester - Salford Quays
Premier Inn Manchester Salford Quays Hotel
AC Hotel Manchester Salford Quays
Holiday Inn Manchester MediaCityUK
Hotel Football Old Trafford

Been to Copthorne Hotel Manchester? Share your experiences!