1,814 results
All reviews bit dated exchange quay free parking city centre tram stop media city buffet style central manchester full english stayed here for one night lowry theatre quays clipper canal
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I will be travelling to this area for business significantly more over the next 12 months so this was my first visit to the Copthorne. Reception was brief but pleasant and I was directed to the lift and given a room overlooking the water, the view was perfect. No one asked if I’d booked breakfast, nor was it offered which I thought was a bit strange?

The room itself was in desperate need of a makeover, it was very 1980s America in feel, the cupboard which the tv was was on was scratched and the door to the fridge was hanging off BUT there was a fridge and that was most welcome. I only had one wonky bedside light and all in all the room just didn’t meet the needs of the modern traveller, not enough power sockets or in awkward places. The vents by the window were dropping off and the bathroom was super retro - wow! The Mira shower looked like It belonged in a museum BUT it worked well and was hot and plentiful. All of the Plastic items were a faded yellow colour.

So once I’d got over my surroundings - wish I’d bought my shoulder pads! The bed was comfortable and I was surprised to see the tv had a chrome cast, a nice modern touch. It was such a warm day that the room was hot so I slept with the windows open, best nights sleep I’ve ever had on a business trip.

So to summarise, the poor hotel room needed some love, modernising, yellowing plastic fans removing from rooms and quite simply some money spending on it. It’s a fabulous hotel in a great location so dated furniture and fixtures are really letting it down. That said, it met my needs and provided all I needed from it. With competition from Marriott across the road, it would be a shame not to try and compete to the same standard.

Trip type: Travelled on business
ClareP1042, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Hunnibee14,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a delightfully detailed response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have taken note of your comments on our current need to refresh certain aspects of our decor and furnishings. As a company we fully understand the need to modernise, particularly in comparison to some our local new-build competitors. We are currently in the final phases of initiating a number of replacement programs which will definitely address all of the areas you have mentioned as well as our entire public area on the ground floor. I have no doubt that all of our valued guests will soon be experiencing these positive changes as the next year progresses.

We hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Manchester.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were due to stay here for 4 nights but left early.
The setting and local area is fantastic.

On our second day someone took it upon themselves to go through all of our belongings and recent shopping.
Nothing was missing but the feeling that some has been through your personal belongs is not a pleasant one.

At reception they were more concerned to inform me that I wasn’t entitled to a refund and totally unhelpful.

This hotel spoilt a trip to a lovely city.
If you value your possessions, stay elsewhere!!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ClareP1042, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 14nD,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We are very disappointed to see from your scoring and feedback that we did not meet your expectations.

Please accept my apology for your concerns with the impression that "someone went through your belongings". As my Duty manager assured you on the day of your departure, I would like to reiterate that our staff are extensively trained and supervised in their servicing of occupied rooms unless the DND sign is placed and in this case, as part of daily servicing, they merely neatened up the room which included the re-positioning of some of your belongings. Naturally I trust you will understand that this would not have constituted grounds for a refund.

I hope that on a future visit you will consider staying with us again when we will be able to better meet your expectations.

Reviewed 13 February 2019 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night and I have to commend the staff for their excellent customer service. Everyone we met was cheery, friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us.
However, a 4 star hotel is a serious over estimation of this hotels facilities. The communal areas and the bar are small for the size of the hotel, there is very little seating in the lobby but the small bar and large resturant are lovely. Great views over the quays.
I know other posters have made reference to the out dated decorate on the rooms and I fully agree it’s time for a lick of paint and some new furniture. The curtains are flowery, the bathroom from the late 80’s and the table and chairs have seen better days. The bed was very comfortable and the shower had great power. Neither of these make up for the fact that the hotel aren’t afraid to charge 4 star prices for 2 star accommodation. This was the only part of my stay that annoyed me. I am more than happy to pay for good facilities but it really is seriously over priced. Management need to listen to their customers and realise that until they refurbish, they have got to bring their prices in line.
A part from that, it was a lovely relaxing hotel. Food was fabulous both for an evening meal and for breakfast. And the staff really did make it enjoyable. Thank you for great customer service...now go get that refurb started.

Date of stay: February 2019
ClareP1042, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2019

Dear cmcn2011,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a delightfully balanced review after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay.

I am so pleased to read your wonderful comments on our staff of whom we are so proud. Ultimately, it is our team who provide the "heart of hospitality" to our guests.

We trust that you will stay with us again on your return to Manchester and that you will also see our ongoing refurbishments that we are busy finalising and intending to roll out during the course of this year.

Reviewed 13 February 2019

We arrived at the hotel, checked in and paid, only to be told after checking in that the electric in the hotel was down, there was no WIFI, no hot water, no heating, no TV. We were told an engineer was on site trying to fix the issue. We had requested a child's bed in the room, the reception told me that as they were so busy they didn't have time to do this and would bring one up later. At this point it was almost 8pm so my child was ready for bed. The receptionist had to take us upstairs in the lift and to our room as our cards did not work due to the outage and let us in using a different key. We got to the room and realized it had not been cleaned, as the electric didn't work I could not call down to reception, I left the room to complain, when complaining the staff took no interest and said there is nothing they could do. Personally, I do not think they should have checked us in and told us of these issues afterwards as I would not have stayed at the hotel and certainly wouldn't have paid £92 for an uninhabitable room. I would have found alternative accommodation if I had been made aware of the problems first. I then went back upstairs but could not get back in to the room due to the card not working, back down the reception and a long wait and they let me back in the room. At this point it is 10pm and we are freezing, there is no TV, no WIFI, no heating, no hot water and we are sat in a dirty room, the hotel refused refund so we could stay elsewhere. We went out to visit a friend who had heating and electric. When we got back at 1am we were sure all the problems would be fixed, however we were wrong. First of all when walking into reception we were stopped by a security guard and asked to prove that we had paid to stay in the hotel, this is fine except he was so rude and aggressive scaring my child. Then when we finally got to the room we couldn't get in because the electric was still down despite being told it was now fixed. We found an internal phone in the lobby, I called down to reception and said we cannot get in the room please can you help, a very rude man answered and said "well you will have to come down to reception won't you", then hung up the phone, so all of us back down to reception again with a very tired little boy, more waiting around until someone let us in. We got back in the room and still no TV, WIFI or hot water etc. We called to reception again to complain. They said they would bring up some jugs of warm water for us to wash and some extra. They brought some yellow dirty jugs of water to the room. In the end we just went to sleep, tried to complain again in the morning but no one was interested. Would not stay here again. Hotels is dirty and disgusting and staff are rude and do not care. The hotel is falling apart, furniture is tatty, in need of a refurb and there is only 1 plug socket in the room which is very bad for a family of three.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
ClareP1042, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2019

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback but we are extremely disappointed that your stay was so affected by the general power cut which interrupted power to over 200 buildings in our area for almost 3 hours.

However, I am most concerned to read about the manner in which my staff interacted with you. Please let me assure you that this is not in anyway indicative of our usual standards of service and that I will be addressing this directly with the staff members responsible.

I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us again in the future when we can illustrate our usual standards of comfort and service and hopefully exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 10 February 2019 via mobile

Me and my wife came for a visit and whilst getting ready the building had a power cut for well over 2 hours. So the wife couldn't do her hair. Could have a shower as no lights in there. So went out looking not looking our best. Also when we came back we had no hot water for a shower for the whole night. Room is ok and bed was hard ( but that is just our preference really). Over all the people are great but quality of hotel poor.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback but we are very disappointed to see from your scoring that your stay was so badly affected by the general area power cut that we experienced. Although entirely out of our control - a main sub-station in the area caused outage to 240 homes and businesses, please accept our apology that you were so inconvenienced.

I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us again in the future when we can illustrate our usual standards to you.