The Lowry Hotel
US$89
US$72
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
Novotel Manchester West(Worsley)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$77
Agoda.com
US$147
US$140
Hotels.com
Travelodge Manchester Salford Quays(Salford)(Great Value!)
US$61
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
US$95
PremierInn.com
2,857 results
All reviewswalk in wardrobeafternoon teaturn down serviceriver viewfive star hotelcar parkrooms are largebirthday treathuge bedfloor to ceiling windowsfantastic hotelsuperior roommini barcity centrefantastic staybar and restaurantbars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I recently stayed at the Lowry Hotel in Salford, Manchester. It is located a short distance from the city centre, although if getting a cab from the mainline Piccadilly rail station, it feels like miles away. The hotel appears smart and modern. Public areas are bare and harsh with occasional artwork.

My bedroom was large and functional. As with other reviews on Tripadvisor, I found it strange that certain standard hotel items were missing from the room. These included coffee and tea making facilities, a bottle of free water, an iron and ironing board. I should say that all these items were available by making a telephone call, but why not just have the items available in the room? The bedroom literature also mentioned that there was a radio/cd player in the room, I failed to find this. The walk in wardrobe and quality bathroom were very good features.

My bed appeared to be a huge double but on inspection, it was actually two beds side by side. This resulted in an uncomfortable nights sleep due to the join in matresses. The window curtains/black-outs were made up of about five long sections of material, these being velcro'd onto tracks at the top of the window. Needless to say, this elaborate system did not work in my room so the ambient light from nearby appartment blocks was visable through the night.

The breakfast menu in the restaurant is expensive for the actual food that you are able to consume. There is an average choice of quality hot food which is cooked to order. I must say though that on the day I was there with only five other people present, my order of bacon, sausage, tomato, baked beans, and a fried egg took 45 minutes to arrive at the table.

I have stayed in far superior and better quality 4 star hotels.This is certainly in my view not the best 5 star hotel in Mancheter. There are other fresher and newer contenders.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank MTM
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We stayed at the Lowry for a weekend break away in Manchester and found it to be an excellent hotel. The reception and lobby areas were very spacious although there did seem to be too many bare walls. The reception staff were very efficient and friendly and offered all the required information and assistance to our room. The corridors to the rooms were very wide but again, quite stark.

The room was fantastic. We had a “deluxe king” on the 4th floor. It was a very good size with a lovely bathroom and large walk in wardrobe. The bed was huge but, as many reviewers have already pointed out, consisted of two singles joined together. There was a good sized desk and seating area and a wide selection of channels on a large LCD TV.

We didn’t take dinner in the hotel but went into Manchester for the evening. On returning to the room, we found that an evening housekeeping service was provided. They had turned down the bed, provided bottles of water and even put a classical CD on in the room, which we thought was a nice touch. It is little things like these that set some hotels apart from the others and the Lowry do these things very well. The hotel was very quiet and I had one of the best night’s sleep in a long time.

We took breakfast in the hotel. There was a wide choice and all hot dishes were cooked to order. Again the staff were very attentive and we were impressed by the number of waiters and waitresses working and the efficient, but not rushed, service. Check out was a very slick process and again the reception staff were very friendly and efficient.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and would definitely stay here again, pennies permitting!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Spiderpig69
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Having written a number of reviews in recent years I have never given a 5* until now. We found this hotel to be friendly ( not always the case in a 5* hotels ) relaxing and very smart.

The rooms are large and very modern, to a standard that you would expect, as are the bathrooms.

The restaurant is superb good value and to a very high standard.
The staff are very helpfull and friendly offering advice about the wine and food ( and not the most expensive).

A good hotel and well deserving of its 5*. I usually ignore the 5 star reveiws and look to the negative points as I generally feel they can give a balanced opinion. However I find it difficult to find any negative about this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank meling
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I was put here with 2 hours notice after a works conference overran. Difficult to find if you don’t know Manchester but still good central location. Easy parking outside and fine check in/out. Apparently it’s very artistic but I found it overly stark and not relaxing

Good things – lovely spacious quiet room, big comfortable bed, great walk in wardrobe, huge bath

Bad things – odd old fashioned round pinned plug sockets, no tea and coffee facilities

Room service – fast and well presented but overly complicated food

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I found the hotel was excellent value for money at the price we paid (£180 per night @ lastminute.com)

It was a superior room with river views. The room was very large and spacious, huge bed, flat screen tv. The furniture was elegant and tasteful, and the room was imaculately clean. The bathroom again was spacious, clean and with a nice deep bath.

We only stayed one night but the maid service cleaned our room whilst we were out in the evening which was a nice suprise. The reception staff were also polite and helpful. We arrived early and the reception staff took our bags and arranged for them to be placed in our room once the room was ready.

My only recommendation (as with all hotels) is to avoid anything in the mini bar as it was hugely overpriced.

1  Thank Lalitisha
Dalston_Hall, General Manager at The Lowry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2008

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your comments. I hope to see you soon at The Lowry Hotel