“Some tweaks would make this great.”
Review of The Ainscow Hotel

The Ainscow Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Salford
St Neots, United Kingdom
“Some tweaks would make this great.”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We just stayed this last weekend, booking two rooms (a double and a twin).

On first impressions, absolutely lovely and clean, and just felt like a good quality hotel. Check in was smooth, staff friendly and accommodating. Swapped the twin room (it had no windows) for another with no issue.

The double was extremely spacious, on two levels. Sofa bed on one level, with TV, desk, wardrobe, sink/coffee facilities and a toilet. The bed was upstairs via a spiral staircase with the ensuite bathroom. No complaints whatsoever about the quality or cleanliness, it was spotless and the bathroom was lovely.

The spiral staircase and the room over two floors was really appealing at first, however there were some impracticalities! Firstly, the wardrobe was downstairs, the bathroom was upstairs. You leave the bathroom after showering to head towards your clothes which are downstairs. A bit perilous without some forward planning - I could see some mishaps if not careful!

Coffee facilities downstairs, which you then carry upstairs via the spiral staircase (who doesn't want their coffee in bed in the mornings?!). Unfortunately, because the TV is downstairs, you can't slob around on the bed drinking your coffee and watching TV! A few changes would be good and might prevent a few accident reports! For instance, perhaps a dresser upstairs, and perhaps a unit for the kettle etc. A TV upstairs would be a good addition, however free wifi was helpful!

We had a drink in the bar before bed, and service very good - a nice place to be.

Breakfast was extremely disappointing. There were 4 of us, and we waited absolutely ages. We were in the restaurant for perhaps an hour, which was frustrating because we wanted to make the most of a few hours before heading home later. What was also frustrating was a mistake on every one of the breakfasts that came out. They were either missing something, or had the wrong something, and the food wasn't even that hot. We didn't get it corrected because we didn't want to waste any more time. Coffee tasted weak. Enjoyed the continental part of it, but I really feel the service needs a lot of work.

I know it's only been open for 3 weeks, so no doubt there are teething problems but these really need addressing.

Room Tip: Try to get a room all on one level! If not, take your clothes upstairs BEFORE showering.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cath w
Paul W, General Manager at The Ainscow Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Many thanks for your review of The Ainscow. I am pleased that overall you had a enjoyable stay and I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review. With regard to the breakfast I have discussed your issues with our Head Chef as we do endeavor to ensure that every guest experience is a memorable and enjoyable one and rest assured we have taken the necessary steps to avoid similar issues in the future.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
Paul Wadsworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed for 1 night at the end of August, was apprehensive as I could find much information on the hotel but please don't let this put you off. The hotel is brand new, modern and in a great location 2 mins from Spinningfields. We stayed in a deluxe room which defiantly has the WOW factor with spiral stair case and mezzanine. We booked room only but upgrade to breakfast for £10 per person on check in which seems a bit pricey but after having the breakfast it was worth every penny. All the staff we came into contact with couldn't do enough for us. Great hotel will definitely be our choice of hotel when in Manchester

Room Tip: Pay the bit extra for a room upgrade from a standard
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay here at The Ainscow, I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hospitality and in particular breakfast in our restaurant. I have passed your comments to all of the team concerned, including the Head Chef.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back on your next visit to Manchester.

Kind regards,
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Exceeded our expectations in every way from the moment we arrived to a warm welcome to leaving after a great nights sleep in a simply impeccable hotel.

During a recent trip to Salford Mediacity and Manchester we were very undecided about where to stay.

Using Trip Advisor we struggled to decide between a traditional franchise hotel with a name you can trust, or an independent that has more character.

In the end we chose Ainscow and we are extremely glad we did.

From checking in with a friendly, happy smiling April on reception we had a feeling we were in great hands. The reception area and bar were clean, new, fresh and had that quality feel.

The best was yet to come however as we checked into room 325. We made our way up to the room and walked in to find a terrific room, with sofa, brand new TV, downstairs bathroom, kitchen facilities and a great city view.

We weren't expecting a mezzanine setup and were delighted with a spiral staircase taking us up to what was an inviting and plush looking bed and an exceptionally well presented bathroom.

The facilities in the room were excellent, though be aware that there is no TV in the bedroom area. Something which disappointed at first but in retrospect was the right decision as it led to a more relaxing sleep, however this may not suit some.

One other thing to note is that the bedroom upstairs floor is significantly warmer (very warm indeed in August) meaning those who want it cooler need to open the windows. Being on a busy road this means road noise so be aware.

We dined in the restaurant in the evening (found out the following day during checkout that the head chef was in charge of proceedings during our visit) and have to say the food is again excellent but with a price tag to match.

For starter I had the best cream of tomato soup I've ever tasted, with a main of a perfectly cooked steak of almost giant proportions, and a sweet of a sticky toffee pudding with an excellent ice cream. All of it was faultless.

Waking up to breakfast I was keen to try and find something wrong with this hotel and restaurant as up to now the experience was a 99% score.

Breakfast itself was great, with continental options, fresh fruit juices and a great hot english breakfast with superb sausage. The bacon comes with the fat left on for those who prefer.

I finally found something I didn't like at Ainscow and that is the coffee at breakfast. I'm not sure what it was exactly that I was drinking but it tasted extremely bitter and cheap which wasn't consistent with the rest of the stay.

I really hope that Ainscow change the coffee used at breakfast and quickly as I can see it being an irritation amongst future guests and for the sake of swapping it out for something of better quality it's a no brainer.

So there you have it. A pretty faultless stay in a really excellent, quality hotel with terrific staff and great facilities. The whole place shouts quality, and the staff seem really happy to be working in this relatively new hotel.

If you are undecided I'd say absolutely go for it and stay here. Hopefully you will find it as excellent as we did.

We would stay here again (in fact we're already looking forward to thinking of another reason to visit Manchester and incorporate Ainscow in our trip)

Let's just hope they have changed out the awful breakfast coffee for something much much better.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are definitely worth the small added extra. The facilities and rooms are superb. Ro...
1 Thank Neil H
I would like to pass on my sincere thanks for your fantastic review in relation to your recent experience here at The Ainscow Hotel. We are very proud of our hotel here, and this is portrayed in the attitude of the staff that work here, I was however disappointed to discover that not everything was to you liking and for this I would like to apologise, rest assured we have taken steps to ensure similar incidents do not reoccur in the future.

Once again many thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Having stayed over Gay Pride Weekend we expected a riotous affair. Very much not, fully staffed with a lovely atmosphere although hotel only just opened they were well settled. Staying two nights we parked up and ambled into the posher area of Manchester which is a short 10 min walk away. Lots of regeneration going on and we could see that the Ainscow would shine above the branded cheaper chains being thrown up. Already booked for next year - hope to visit again by then!! A promise of the gym, treatment rooms and extra car parking will excel - well done :)

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
I would just like to say how delighted I am that you had an enjoyable weekend here at hotel over the bank holiday. The hotel is very much like a hidden secret as we have only been open a few weeks now and it is taking time for people to realize the standard of product we have here at The Ainscow.

Once again I would like to pass on my sincere thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on the site, as it is always nice to read that our guests are being well looked after by the team and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I stayed here last week, after visiting the Coronation Street Tour. The hotel was a 5 minute walk away. The hotel is a new property, and even though there are still a few small things to finish, the hotel is done to a very high standard. The rooms are big, and spacious. The bed was VERY comfortable. I had breakfast the following morning, and the food was enjoyable.
I would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I would like to personally take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at The Ainscow. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We found the hotel by accident on LateRooms.com, there was no review on trip adviser yet as it's a new hotel. We paid £149 for one night - not a lot available as it was Manchester pride.
Beautiful hotel though not quite finished, staff great and very professional. Our room was huge, however the hairdryer in the room didn't work, and of the 3 windows in our room - NONE of them closed (as they had been badly fitted) which was a bit of a problem in the early hours. Also the door to the room only closed if you physically shouldered it. Breakfast was disappointing - dining room on 3rd floor beautiful with nice rooms, however food was tepid, eggs cooked to order but tiny portion - sausage and bacon very fatty, OJ not fresh and coffee bitter - tasting like poor instant. I think you just expect a better standard for the price. One annoying point was that they charge you £10 extra to park in the hotel car park; bit of a cheek when it's not secure parking - they had no gates on and no security cameras as it clearly isn't finished.
All in all, it wasn't "bad" it was just a bit disappointing - we were expecting better. Would I stay again - probably not unless reviews suggested everything had improved dramatically. As they say, it's the little things that count and there were too many 'faults'. Take care finding your way in - there's loads of building work going on in the area and bollard central.

3 Thank Gregnsue
I am delighted that you were pleased with the hotel overall and have discussed your comments with regards to your experience with the team. Whilst your experience is not reflective of the high standards in which we aim to pride ourselves on at the hotel, we take all our guest comments very seriously in order to ensure an improvement and high standard in the future.

Once again thank you again for your valued comments.

Kind Regards
North East England
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Firstly, I have to say that this Hotel is brand new and still a work in progress. We entered the unfinished entrance of the hotel underneath the arm of a huge motorised lift which was carrying workmen and materials up to the roof, and every lift journey was accompanied by someone with a dustbin full of building materials going to one of the unfinished floors. Had this been our overriding experience at the Ainscow we would be giving it one star - but it wasn't. The Staff at the Ainscow are just excellent, from the manager and front desk to the restaurant manager at breakfast, every one of them was unfailingly polite, helpful and professional. We had a deluxe room, which was large, clean and well equipped - although plug points for the hairdryer near a mirror would be useful! The bed was enormous and very comfortable, and the bathroom new and also well equipped. If we return to stay in Manchester we will do our best to stay there again, as I believe that once finished, this place will be excellent.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room
2 Thank Stu D
Thank you for your most kind comments about The Ainscow and our team, all of which I have passed on and commended the staff. It is always wonderful to receive such feedback as positive comments always travel slower than negative ones.

We will continue to try and improve our service standards where we can and I do hope that you will visit us again in the not to distant future.

Paul Wadsworth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salford
The Lowry Hotel
The Midland
#14 of 117 in Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,806 reviews
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester

Been to The Ainscow Hotel? Share your experiences!