Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Sunset Motel(Athens)
View Hotel
All reviewsstate parkfamily suitetennis courtsindoor poollake viewgame areaputt putt coursecould hear every wordthanksgiving buffetgreat weekendplaying gamesfrench doorsscreened in porchtop bunknice visitcomfortable accommodationslots of hiking trails
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Please keep in mind that this lodge is situated in a state park in a sparsely populated corner of Ohio. The facility is well designed to take advantage of the views, and is very peaceful and relaxing. We were a multi-generational group of five that were served very well by a King Suite. Two bathrooms, blow-dryer, a microwave, fridge and patio overlooking the lake gave our five day stay an ease that is to be treasured on vacation. Our beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean and aesthetically pleasing. I have seen some reviews where some were complaining about minor details and I just don't get it. Burr Oak is a great facility, very reasonably priced and a tremendous place for family reunions, organizations and clubs or enthusiasts to gather. The public areas are wonderful and there are many amenities available. Our group used, and was quite satisfied with, the tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, public beach, canoe rental, pontoon boat rental and on-site restaurant. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The chef suggested that we phone in a lunch order from the pontoon boat and pick it up at the lodge and the kids in our group particularly enjoyed the novelty. Were our meals world class cuisine? No. But look around the area: your alternatives are Sonic, Dairy Queen and the like, and those are not very close. The food was nice, the staff nicer and the view superlative and the prices reasonable, so we shared very pleasant meals together that we will remember fondly. Burr Oak was a perfect home base for day trips and our age diversified group. I will be staying here whenever we come "down home," and will be recommending it to driving enthusiasts for the wildly curvy drive in on 555. If you don't enjoy a challenging your vehicle and driving skills, pick another route in. I just wish I'd been driving a sports car instead of a sedan filled with people for which I needed to set a good example. Well done, Burr Oak Lodge! We had a great time. Thanks.

Room Tip: Go for the patio rooms. Very nice to sit out on balcony with morning coffee.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ShellyD862
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have never written an online review, and as a business owner I am always dubious of them, but the stay we had at The Burr Oak Lodge has compelled me to write my first. We had a hastily arranged two night stay after other vacation plans had to be postponed. We tied the stay at the lodge in with day trips to Hocking Hills. Everything about our experience was great. The space itself, the rooms, the grounds. Almost didn't want to leave to visit Hocking Hills. The staff was so friendly and nice. The dining room serves really good food, far superior to typical hotel food, and at normal restaurant prices, not inflated tourist prices. The pool was great for the kids, the way the room was divided into two rooms was wonderful for sleeping. We went down the road and rented kayaks from the park and went out on the super calm lake. But just sitting down by the lodge dock watching the birds and the fish jump was enough. The most peaceful trip. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ann s
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 nights at the lodge. We used a 25% off coupon on a king parlor suite. These suites are newly renovated, very large, and have 2 bathrooms. Probably one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in. We ate our meals onsite in the dining room. The food was delicious, the staff was courteous, and the prices were average. My husband had blackened chicken and it was the best I've eaten. I think a trip in the fall with the changing of the leaves would be wonderful.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Colleen U
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a family reunion with members from all over the US. Our original ancestors settled nearby in 1814. One of our members even ran an underground railroad during the civil war. Enough history. We are delighted they have reopened and updated the lodge. Stayed 2 lights. One a King suite overlooking the lake, the next night in a 2 room family suite overlooking the parking lot. Overall we had a great weekend with family members but after a long day returned to our private quarters. Rooms are very clean with enough space for a couple, or the family suite add up to 3 children. The beds were comfy and pillows too. We could not even hear a large party going on in the main lodge lobby area and we were just three rooms away. Both evenings were sold out, great for the owners. As I wrote in many of my previous posts, this is the place to enjoy each other again.
We had the buffet breakfast with plenty warm entries to choose from, the breakfast kept us going all day. We ordered a delivery Pizza for Little Italy in Glouster had it in one hour, I didn't want to go out after 8:30pm. TV in the room, a newer addition, is yours to enjoy, at least the news.

If you are staying in a cabin our want to purchase food prior to arriving, go east to McConnelsville or better yet preplan and bring the microwavable dishes with you. The rooms all have a small fridge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MMandSM
David T, General Manager at Burr Oak Lodge and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

I would just like to say Thank You for the wonderful review and we here at Burr Oak Lodge look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We are huge supporters of state park lodges, no matter what state, so we are familiar with many. I gave Burr Oak a 4-star instead of 5 because it seemed to lack something. I realize it was recently remodeled, but it still has an "old" look about it.

The rooms have been redone with wonderful beds and flat screen TV's but they are still very dark. Our room on the second floor did not have a balcony which is different, most do.

But I don't want to paint a negative picture - the dining room has the best waiters and the food is outstanding, and we were there when there were very large groups and yet the service was excellent and the food wonderful and served piping hot.

As mentioned in my title, I have never, at any park, met friendlier staff members. They always greet you with a warm "hi, how are you?" and a big smile.

I give Burr Oak 4 stars instead of 5 but I think it's more of a personal preference.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I would like to say "Thank You"...the staff here at Burr Oak strives to make each and every guest feel welcomed and at home. I have printed your review and shared it with the Managers and Staff. Again Thank You and we hope to see you again soon at Burr Oak Lodge.