“Don't believe the negative reviews”

Potters International Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Aldershot
Corsham, United Kingdom
“Don't believe the negative reviews”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was expecting the worst. However, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The staff both on reception and in the restaurant were friendly, efficient and welcoming. Food at breakfast and in the evening was very good and went down a treat. Room was large and well kept with free Wi-Fi. The bathroom clean (a few chips in the bath but nothing to write home about) with towels changed daily. It was nice to have access to a swimming pool and health centre at no extra cost), even though I only made one visit. The hotel itself has obviously been a grand establishment in the past. By and large it retains its grandeur and I was especially impressed with the ballroom, just a pity it isn't used on a daily basis. The only negative review that I would somewhat agree with is that some of the exterior signage could do with replacing/updating, however, this is a minor criticism and did not detract from my overall experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very easy to find using the Sat Nav and there was plenty of space in the car park.  The surrounding area looked pleasant and reasonably well kept.  There isn't anything around within walking distance so stock up on snacks before you arrive.

The exterior of the building looked worn and uncared for and a new sign,  a clean one, is greatly needed.   It would be a relatively inexpensive but worthwhile investment I feel.

There was no one at the reception desk when we entered but a girl came after a few minutes.   I do feel someone should always be present on reception in a hotel of this size and it is very big and sprawling like a warren with rooms everywhere.  Anyway, the young lady's greeting was lacklustre and devoid of warmth or cheer.  She sounded bored.  Perhaps she was.  She seemed a capable and efficient young lady and gave us good directions to enable us to find our room, number 324 on 1st floor.

Our room was situated some way from reception and involved a long walk through several doors and even up a few small flights of stairs despite taking the lift.  My husband was annoyed at having to bring our heavy cases and bags to our room with just my help.  Staff should be available to show guests to their rooms and take luggage because it is quite a feat with luggage and if you do have problems with mobility I definitely suggest you ask for a room that is suitably accessible and doesn't involve such a hike.  The location of the room did; however, actually suit me as it was quiet, had excellent Wi-fi connection and speed, a pleasant and green view across the pavillion and was close to the leisure facilities, as requested.

We were 20 minutes early and were told not to go to the room until the check in time of 2pm.  That was fine as we were looking forward to having a Sunday Roast; they do a carvery on Sundays, and it was really good and we both enjoyed it immensely.   There was an excellent variety of meats and vegetables,  fruit and cream,  puddings and custard,  cakes, etc.  I definitely recommend it.  Usually I am disappointed but not this time.  The only criticism is that the mash potatoes were too gloopy but everything else was spot on. I recommend you book as it did seem popular with locals.  Fortunately we are just two and could be squeezed in with little problem.

Our hotel room was spacious and had good facilities.  Ours was a king double. There's a flat screen TV,  a kettle and plenty of tea and coffee but more milk would be nice as 4 is not enough for 2 people.  There is a small table and small arm chair and also a desk and chair for working on or it can double as a dressing table although I really do prefer the hairdryer in the bathroom as I can't get to it if hubby's at work there,  which is much of the time. The hairdryer is in desk and there's plenty of storage space for clothes etc.  There's a mirror over the desk and a full size one on the wall,  a wardrobe,  two bedside tables and plenty of wall lights that can be conveniently switched on or off at the bed.  It is clean and as many others have said,  it was far too hot but we turned off the radiator and opened the window and all was well with the world once more.  It's a nice room and if I can pick a fault, it's that there's no plug sockets by the bed.  In fact there is only one double socket for the tv and kettle.  I strongly recommend that you bring your own extension lead as we did, thanks to my hubby for being super organised.

In the bathroom,  there was only one set of towels which I soon remedied as cleaning staff had their trolly outside. Why only put out 1 set? Regardless of whether it is booked in one name or 2, I paid a double price so I should have a sufficient supply of towels.

There is a bath with overhead shower that was  fine, a w.c., towel rail, mirror with overhead lights, some toiletries.   I did notice some of the tiles were cracked and the bath panel had writing on and didn't sit flush to the bath.   There was also some bare chip board showing behind the w.c. and the white shower curtain was a bit yellow. Everything functioned well although the overhead light did make a strange buzzing sound when it first went on.

We slept extremely well.  The bed was comfortable and it was quiet. We rarely heard people.

Cleaning staff are really nice, jolly, and always ready with a warm smile.  I should add that whenever we went down to reception and the young lady that checked us in was there she always greeted us and smiled so perhaps I was a little hasty on judging her initially.

I visited the leisure suite next morning. It is free for hotel guests but local people have memberships.  It wasn't really buzy on a Monday, Tuesday morning at 10am.   There's a decent pool, a Jacuzzi,  steam room, sauna room, and well equipped gym.  Towels are provided free at the health suite reception. Staff are friendly, welcoming and easy going.  I just had to sign in and out.  I was mightily disappointed that the steam room was out of order for the duration of my stay as staff say the engineer is waiting on a part.

We ate dinner one evening in the King Edward Restaurant in the hotel.  The menu was niicely varied with tuna, pork loin, steak, duck, etc.  Hubby had pork loin with crushed new potatoes, vegetables (cauliflower,  green beans, carrots) and a mustard sauce and I had the duck with a black cherry gravy.  Hubby enjoyed his food even though the sauce; which tasted lovely, was split.  My duck was very overcooked.   Duck should be pink and even a little pink would be nice. I ate it though.  Our waiter, Alan was a thoroughly nice guy with a warm and friendly manner.  Overall,  it was a decent and hearty meal.

We did try to get a meal in the bar at approximately 4pm on Tuesday but were informed that the kitchen was closed and didn't re-open until 6pm although they could offer us sandwiches. Wanting something more substantial we went to nearby Brewers Inn on Wellington Road by Premier Inn, where there is also a Tesco, Morrison and Burger King.

I read other reviews on TripAdvisor mentioning that Potter International's decor was dated and worn and I don't dispute that. It definitely does have a touch of the 80's-90's about it and some of the stairway carpets are indeed worn but it's comfortable, well equipped and has everything a business traveller needs and for me; accompanying my husband which is typical for me, it is ideal as I am happy with the leisure facilities available.

I didn't have breakfast here. I don't really eat until about noon usually anyway but I brought a few instant porridge pots just in case I did fancy something and they made good snacks.

They do room service.   Prices are ok. Eg. Hamburger, Chips and salad £6.50.  The pub in the hotel does standard pub grub. Check times though. The kitchen is only open for meal times.

Checkout was painless. We paid £392 for 4 nights including a 2 meals as described above. Promptly at 11am cleaning staff knocked on the door which signalled our impending departure.  We parked the car conveniently so we could put our things in before driving round to the reception. This certainly made it less frustrating than our arrival.

My husband needed to work further so he set up his 'office' in the very comfortable lobby area where there are several plug sockets conveniently located. We were also asked if we would like a drink and we ordered 2 coffees. The coffee arrived in a large pot and we were; therefore, able to enjoy a few cups each which set hubby up for his forthcoming meeting. The coffee cost just £5 which we considered reasonable.

Overall, I think the hotel offers very good value considering the leisure and spa facilities which cost far more elsewhere and I am very happy with my selection.  After my husband's initial annoyance at the trek to our room with luggage,  he did say it was comfortable and he liked it. I would definitely stay here again; in fact I hope I do as I had a lovely time, and will do if my husband needs to revisit the offices nearby in the future.   I do hope the steam room is back in working order then though.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lakesidesales, Director of Sales at Potters International Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,
The hotel management would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. It’s so refreshing went a guest offers feedback, highlighting the highs along with the lows. We found your review very constructive and has highlighted some training needs which we will address.
We look forward to welcoming you to Potters again soon in the near future.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Don't think your on holiday here / your room number allocates you a breakfast slot ( time given to you not one you requested )
The place is tired and could really do with a tidy up never mind a freshening
During our stay it was raining quite a lot and the gutters leaked onto our window cil at one side and on the other elevation they dripped onto rubbish in the garden ie an old TV in short it was torture
Tip Tap tip Tap all night
And as the other reviews suggest it's thread bare carpets , toilet extractor fans sound like jets warming up, the shower that either blew you on your rear or just spat at you now and then . More chipped crockery than a car boot and stains to match ,
The food at breakfast was ok even if you are told when to eat ( that really annoyed me what happened to breakfast being served between 7am till 10am)
The lunch and dinner menus looked ok BUT that's as far as ok went the food was shocking I think it was cooked by just about any member of staff available and it showed
We were given tickets to watch the darts also and we did go on the Wednesday and Thursday what aril off you are not allowed jackets inside so you have to pay £1 to the cloakroom then you get kicked out again for a mandatory break ( every one out collect your jacket return in a hour or so then pay another £1 and go back to your table you just left ,
Surely if it is mandatory to put all jackets in the cloak room it would be in with the ticket pricing , who would turn up in the first week of January without a jacket of sort on
Obviously bob potter has noticed this and is making up rules to coin in
We'll I may go again and watch the darts but I will not go back to the potters international hotel there are plenty off bed n breakfasts about as well as hotels that are far superior and priced less
There were fifteen of us in the party over the week no one was happy
Remember people vote through there pockets at this game

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
As a hotel we are sorry to read your comments about your stay with us at the beginning of January.
We always try and make everyone’s stay as comfortable as possible, when given the opportunity we normally manage to rectify problems at the time if given the chance. Having looked into this matter its does seem you have mentioned any of these points during your stay.
Whilst we appreciate we are not the most modern hotel in the area this is reflected in our price structure, we believe we offer value for money in a clean and friendly environment.
The gutter issues were highlighted at the time and have since been replaced.
With regards to breakfast and timings this is a tried and tested method during darts to elevate a mass rush at the last minute causing long delays. You would however not been turned away should you decide to take breakfast outside our allotted times.
I am amazed at your comments with regards to the food offering at the hotel, as we are normally given extremely good feedback on Restaurant, Bar and Room Service offerings. Again if you were disappointed this would have been able to be rectified at the time by our team had it been mentioned?
I have passed your comments over to the Lakeside Country Club with regards the coat situation.
I am however aware that it is a Health & Safety stipulation that no coats may be taken into the main hall.

Travellers are raving about these Aldershot hotels

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Arrived at this rather shabby, run down hotel to find a particularly unfriendly receptionist on duty. I have stayed at the hotel before and although it's decor has been going downhill for sometime, it was always accommodating of myself and my colleagues in the past......but definitely not this time.

I requested a room near to my colleagues/friends.....but was refused by this rather stroppy young lady who said she could not possibly move rooms around as the hotel was too busy.

Having stayed at the Potters on business several times before, one thing it has never been is busy! Especially in February!! You are lucky if you see another human being other than the staff during your whole stay.

The car park was almost empty so there was no way the place was busy.

The rooms are very dated.....with shabby looking furniture and an unpleasant.....'not used for a long time' smell.

We stopped booking the Potters last year because of its rather dated appearance and high rates and started using the Holiday Inn instead.....altogether a much nicer experience for a fraction of the price.......but sadly it was full this time around.

This will be the last time at the Potters.....I would rather sleep in the car.

Room Tip: No good tips to give.....the rooms are much of a muchness. Do not eat dinner at the hotel...you will...
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here for one night in february 2014 while on business. Was initially wary in light of other reviews but decided to stay here as a couple of colleagues had already booked this hotel. I think the average of most of the other reviews pretty well sum it up, i.e. it is quite a large place which has clearly seen better days and now looks quite tired and worn in places, e.g. worn carpets, old, cracked acrylic / plastic sink in the bathroom, a fixed haead shower that was rather unpredicatable - and impossible to turn on without enduring a cold shower first. Service and food were OK; nothing special but acceptable enough. Location was good for where I was working, so I may stay here again for short periods, but would probably look elsewhere for a longer stay.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I've stayed at potters international on business several times over the years, but I'm afraid this will be the last. It has been going downhill for many years, with a lack of investment. I can say my room was clean and the staff were friendly enough, breakfast was adequate. Those that had dinner the night before tell me it was poor.

The lack of investment is shown in the general wear, to an unacceptable level. Thread bare carpets on the stairs, and general lack of maintenance. Check out my pictures for more information.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked a room believing this was a dog friendly hotel.
Driving down from Leicester I received a call telling me that they weren't a dog friendly hotel.
There was no mention of the dog policy on there website and I had stated I had a dog on the booking.
Why then after they cancelled the room do they still charge me?
Would never deal with this company again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldershot
Travelodge Aldershot Hotel
#5 of 7 in Farnborough
Lakeside International Hotel
Lakeside International Hotel
#2 of 2 in Frimley Green

Been to Potters International Hotel? Share your experiences!