“Wish I could have stayed longer”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Alton B&B and Inns
Olympia, Washington
“Wish I could have stayed longer”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The place was amaizing!!!!! Being a young traveler on a Jane Austen journey there couldn't have been a better place to stay. The owner of the B and B became my England mom for the one night I was there. The place was so beautiful and I still can't believe how wonderful it was. I will return sometime in the future when I return to England. To all my fellow Jane Austen fans making the pilgramage to Chawton stay here and you are right between all of her stopping points.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2011

From the moment we arrived ,earlier than arranged, we were given the very best welcome & hospitality.We were told our room was ready & that we could leave our cases & park the car & register. St. Mary's Hall was a chocolate box picture, spotlessly clean & as beautiful on the inside as out & we would certainly not hesitate to book there again, that's if there is any vacancies ,on standards like these I suggest early booking is an essential

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Stayed at St. Mary's for three days on business, and when I next travel to Hampshire I will be sure to book well in advance for this superlative B&B. Arranging for bookings with Ms. Mossop over e-mail at the 11th hour were so cordial and easy that when I arrived, it was as if my plans had been on the books for weeks. The accommodations are delightful, the hosts are charming, and the other guests (all of whom were repeat visitors) during my stay were very pleasant and enjoyable. Our hosts tended to our individual needs in a way one expects only in a five-star hotel. They booked my cabs, arranged breakfast around my schedule and made sure everything was to my liking. This has to be one of the finest accommodations in the region and I will surely book with them for future visits.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank magicxtian63
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Loved it! Great breakfast, great room, great hosts. Our room was lovely and spacious and had everything we needed, ideal for family. We couldn't have felt more welcome, comfortable and relaxed. Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank iainno9
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We have just returned from a one night stay at St May's with the very lovely and welcoming Joan and Jack. The room is very comfortable, spacious and well decorated and the breakfast was amazing - We are VERY hard to please with food too!

We will definitely return during our next trip to Alton and are looking forward to it already!

1 Thank GraceCottage717
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2011

When we initially read the reviews for St Mary's Hall we couldn't believe anywhere could be that good - well we tried it and believe us when we say St Mary's Hall is amazing. We arrived earlier than anticipated and were warmly welcomed by Joan & Jack. Jack carried our bags to our room while Joan made us a much welcomed cup of tea. The room was furnished very nicely and has a wonderufl ensuite shower room (we stayed in The Tower Room). Breakfast was fantastic and what wasn't on the table was soon provided (even Lea & Perrins for my husband!). The food is lovely. Usually we are very good at finding fault, but on this occasion we could not fault one single thing. If you think of anything you would like to find in a B&B, Joan has provided it even down to a tooth pick and floss in the bathroom! We can't thank Joan & Jack enough for being so accommodating and welcoming. It was a home from home and neither of us wanted to leave - very unusual for us. You will not regret booking to stay at St Mary's Hall (we didn't and have already booked to return).

Room Tip: Just ask Joan
1 Thank Steliss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We recently stayed at St Mary’s Hall for two nights. Our original intention was to visit Jane Austen’s house in nearby Chawton, and St Mary’s was the perfect base for doing so.

One of the two proprietors, Joan, met us when we arrived. A cup of tea and a welcoming chat were both much appreciated after a very long drive and Joan was able to recommend lots of nearby attractions and places to eat in the meantime. We were given the ‘Tower Room’; a beautifully decorated and quirky suite which is indeed situated at the top of a small tower. The room was comfortably furnished and the recently refitted shower room was lovely and clean. Equally impressive was the breakfast each morning; we would thoroughly recommend the full English!

We were able to park our car at St Mary’s Hall. As Chawton was only a short (and scenic) walk away, we didn’t need to drive at all during our visit.

Although I have never stayed in a B&B before, my partner has stayed in many and said that he considers St Mary’s Hall to be far and above the best of these. We would recommend St Mary’s Hall both as a base for exploring nearby Chawton, or simply for a relaxing break away. We will be returning!

4 Thank Ticklex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton House Hotel
#1 of 1 in East Worldham
White Hart
White Hart
#1 of 1 in Holybourne

Been to St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!