“Outstanding comfort”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 16 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We slept in the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in; better than our own! Real 5 star accommodation. Look no further if you need a B&B in Hampshire! However, you will not want to leave, so treat yourselves to more than one night.

Room Tip: Garden Suite was very peaceful, and had the stunning bed, though I believe all the beds are similar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo B
There are newer reviews for St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Four of us (two couples) stayed for Saturday night, using Joan and Jack's friendly establishment as a base from which to complete the 21-mile Hangers Way. This walk starts in Alton (near to St. Mary's Hall) and runs down through Selbourne, Hawksley and Petersfield to the Queen Elizabeth Country Park. On Saturday morning we left one car with Joan and the other at Hawksley and on Sunday morning we drove two cars to the Country Park, left one there, and drove the other back to Hawksley. Joan and Jack could not have been more welcoming or helpful, their recommendations for dinner were excellent and the breakfast was delicious. 5 stars!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My friend and I stayed here for a night, and regretted not staying longer. Joan and Jack were absolutely lovely hosts… Joan helped us with directions to the Jane Austen Museum and gave us spot on recommendations for refreshments, plus helped us plan our visit to Highclere Castle the next day. St. Mary's is a beautiful, quiet converted church with amazing gardens and location. We stayed in a wonderfully clean private room, and were served a delicious full English breakfast (our choice) in the morning. (If you're a Jane Austen fan, well that sweetens the deal. St. Mary's is a pleasant walk from the museum and other Austen highlights.) I would love to stay here again, and would recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Right from my initial phone inquiry, I knew that St Mary's Hall was going to be somewhere special. Perhaps it was Joan's wonderful warmth on the phone or her friendly efficiency, but I immediately knew I was in good hands. The B&B itself is lovely: a beautiful building with its own parking. Everything is immaculate with attention paid to detail without being fussy. I stayed in the suite - a generous sized bedroom with large ensuite. Wifi was included and fast, and breakfast was delicious: cereals, yoghurt, fruit and a cooked choice. I initially booked for two nights but enjoyed them so much that I extended my stay another day. Joan is a delightful host and very helpful with reliable suggestions for local restaurants (most in walking distance), and directions to the attractions around Alton and nearby Chawton. This is how a B&B should be run!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed with Jack & Joan for one night stay to visit family and was very pleased with the accommodation. Excellent hosts that can not do enough for you. Very clean and quiet accommodation with excellent parking facilities. Breakfast was excellent and our room perfect would certainly recommend a stay at St Marys Hall.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank H2DAV
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I've been staying in B&Bs in Britain since 1988, and I can honestly say St. Mary's Hall is by far my favourite (and I've stayed in some very nice places). The building is beautifully restored, the rooms are lovely and impeccably maintained, the wifi works like a charm, and the food is superb. Everything about the place exudes good taste. As if this isn't enough, what really distinguishes St. Mary's Hall, is the atmosphere. You won't find better hosts than Joan and Jack anywhere. They go out of their way to make your visit as enjoyable as possible. Do yourself a favour and stay here.

Room Tip: For a real treat, stay in the Garden Suite if it's available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

A wonderful welcoming place to stay in Alton! Joan and Jack, the owners, are so friendly! The building itself is just beautiful and an interesting history. Breakfast is just delicious!! A little hidden gem in Alton.. And one we always recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pinkflower81
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in East Worldham
White Hart
White Hart
#1 of 1 in Holybourne

Been to St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!