“Wonderful Place, Wonderful Hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alton
St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 17 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A truly brilliant place, very interesting building with nice clean rooms. A very friendly welcome on arrival and Jack and Joan went beyond the call of duty to help. I was attending a wedding and had somehow managed to not pack my suit. With 50 minutes before the start of the service Joan suggested that I was the same size as Jack and that maybe they could help. Incredibly the size fit and incredibly generously Jack and Joan saved the day. To finish it off the breakfast in the morning was delicious. Even without the kind heroics this is a lovely B&B with nice clean rooms, comfy beds, plenty of character and with attentive hosts. In addition there were plenty of nice touches such as tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms, hot water bottles, robes, hairdryers etc. Will visit again and definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is the third time we have stayed with Joan and Jack, each time in the Garden Suite. We always ask for it, having been bowled over by its comfort on our first visit, but you have to book early to avoid disappointment. It boasts a huge and comfortable bed, lots of storage space, plenty of seating, a fridge, a wonderful bathroom with superb shower - and some of all the last minute little knick knacks one tends to forget like cotton buds, or bigger things like umbrellas and torches.
The Hall itself is an intriguing building and breakfast is served at one end of the owners large dining/sitting room, at a big table piled with all manner of fruit and jam, most if not all, homemade. Joan then adds to that a wonderful breakfast cooked to order - and/or you help yourself to fresh fruit salad, cereal, yoghurts and fruit juice.
Should you wish to eat in your room in the evening, there is an M&S with a large food section about eight minutes walk away, and then there's the George (about six minutes walk) or Monty's Bistro (about 12 minutes), which are both great places to eat out.

Room Tip: Book early, this is a very popular place to stay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night in the Garden Suite and everything was perfect. Very comfortable bed which is huge! Great bathroom with power shower. Nice white fluffy towels. Breakfast was delicious with good quality products. We will stay again when we return in the summer for more fun on the steam trains. I recommend the RAT (real ale train) if you like ale.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravellingSmithy
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here for the night this last weekend as my partner was attending a writing course at the Jane Austen Centre, in Chawton.
I have no problem understanding why this b&b gets such good reviews....
Joan and Jack made us so welcome, their home is a real gem - a former catholic church hall converted to a very high standard, with excellent quality, quiet rooms, super clean, a large comfortable bed and a great shower.
We took J&J's recommendation to try a restaurant in Winchester on Friday evening, which is one of their favourites, a good choice!
Their breakfast was equally good with a great choice and most items locally sourced
We also liked that you can walk to Jane Austen's house easily from their home in about 10 minutes. I enjoyed sampling the delights of a 'steaming day' on the Watercress Line.
This is a place I would happily return to and will thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask about the rooms, each has a different character
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I have used St.Mary's Hall now for two years for all my business guests rather than a full blown hotel. The comfort, food and pure hospitality far outstrips anything else on offer in the area. Joan and Jack go out of their way to make guests welcome and i have had nothing but praise for them from my guys.
You do not always need all the functionality of a hotel when on business, a comfy bed, good breakfast and pleasant hospitality is enough, and you get all this at St. Mary's

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TomBomberdill
Reviewed 17 January 2014

St Mary's Hall is a gem of a B&B! I needed a place to stay near Chawton, as I was visiting Jane Austen's Cottage. It only took me 5 minutes to travel each day, and Joan and Jack let me take my luggage around early, before I went to visit Chawton in the morning. The room in the tower was remarkable with a lovely atmosphere. The bed was so comfortable that I didn't want to get up. Joan and Jack had thought of everything to include in the bedroom and bathroom, so I needn't of packed quite as many cosmetics. All the facilities were immaculate. Parking was easy, and Jack even scraped my car clear of ice. The breakfast was really tasty, and the choice was excellent. Joan and Jack are great hosts, and I will be visiting again when next in the area.

Room Tip: The Tower Room was great, and I am sure all rooms will be just as perfect.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank REL3003
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Excellent 3 night stay in the ensuite room in the grounds. Super comfort with a bathroom which truly works. Breakfasts to die for and Jack even seen scraping the ice off my car.
100% positive recommendation.
Tom and Dee Seabrook 28-30 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seabrook2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Holybourne
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#5 of 17 in Alton

Been to St Mary's Hall Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!