“work related stay”

and 1 more site!
The Market Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I work for a offshore oil and gas company and we had a long period of work in the Hampshire / Alton area , as a company we have used various hotels around the Alton and Basingstoke area but we found The Market Hotel to be by far the best place to stay. From the Staff giving us a near Family feel of welcoming when we first arrived to a warming goodbye for when we left.
The stay was over a long period of 2/3 months and the service never wavered from a high standard , the staff couldn't do enough for us .
The rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day , the decor of the whole hotel is in a fantastic "funky / trendy" design which works perfectly.
they have a good selection of drinks at the bar with offers on all through the week for curry nights , cocktail deals and so on.
I have stayed at the market hotel numerous times over the last year not just work related but also socially too as i have friends who live near by and it works in both aspects of work and leisure.
the only issue i could give this hotel is sometimes it can seem a little noisy but you have to bare in mind my stay was right over christmas and new years eve and the nights that seemed a little noisy were over these busy evenings .

Room Tip: The Station Approach + Beach View
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel quite a few times over recent months, as I commute a fair distance to work.

By evening it is a lively friendly shabby-chic set of bars with great decor and themed areas. Little notes like "free hot drink for all customers between 11:30 and 12:30 just because we care about our customers!" adds a special touch.

The decor is great - a right hotchpotch of stuff that makes the place far from ordinary and always seems to attract a friendly young crowd.

The rooms are all clean, simple, again funky decor and all the staff are really friendly and helpful. Location-wise it's good because the Market Hotel sits in between a Prezzo and Pizza Express in the central pedestrian square.

Breakfast is great, served between 7:30 and 8:30. I haven't tried the other food yet but expect it is good.

Highly recommended!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My husband and I chose The Market Hotel for the reception do for our son's christening and as the title suggests we just couldn't have asked for more of the establishment. Both management and staff were completely helpful, friendly and efficient. Every aspect of the day and party went perfectly. The food was absolutely amazing with everyone commenting on how delicious it was (not too mention reasonable for a hot buffet). We had an amazing time and were nothing but thrilled with the amazing service we received. This was an important day for us, the first as our own new little family, we wanted it to be a day to remember, and thanks to The Market Hotel it was made to be the perfect day to remember. Thankyou so much!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
JT082010, Owner at The Market Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your positive feedback and comments on this special day for your family and friends. We pride ourselves of providing a great service and location for functions and we are pleased both you and your guests enjoyed your afternoon. I will pass on your positive feedback to my staff and I am glad you found them both welcoming and helpful. We are delighted to have contributed to your perfect day to remember and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Market Hotel.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at this fabulous hotel whilst we were visiting family and friends, and unfortunately we were also there to attend a very special lady's funeral. We were welcomed into the hotel by very friendly staff where nothing was too much trouble. We were given a fantastic room which was decorated to a very high standard, the bed was amazing it was very large and very comfortable. The bar downstairs is very friendly with a happy atmosphere. The food was absolutely fantastic, the best we've had in a long time.
We can't wait until the next time we will be able to visit and stay.

Room Tip: We would say that it doesn't really matter in which room you would stay, they are all finished t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear valued customer.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive feedback. I will pass on your compliments to both our front of house and kitchen staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Jamie
The Market Hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have stayed at the hotel several times this year.Again this trip was top class. All the staff are very friendly and welcoming and do whatever they can to make you feel comfortable. The bar has a really good atmosphere and is busy with a mixture of local people and visitors. The bar has an array of drinks to suit most people’s fancy I would think .They have various specials nights for food and drink as well. I think i have stayed in all the rooms they have and they all have a different cool decor. The rooms are always clean and tidy and have tea and coffee making facilities and are furnished to a high standard. I normally miss breakfast due to departing early for business, but this time i managed to make breakfast and had the pleasure in sampling one of the finest breakfasts i have had in a hotel. Breakfast was cooked to order and served with a smile which can be hard to find these days. Many thanks to all the staff for making my stay a fun and happy one. I look forward to hope to be staying with you again very soon. I would recommend staying here for anyone visiting the Alton area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed in this great hotel whilst visiting family nearby. Our room was very tastefully decorated with a huge bed and well fitted out bathroom.

We ate in the restaurant twice and the food was delicious; friendly staff and fabulous wines and cocktails make this an excellent place to get away for a break. Alton is a great town to go shopping and only an hour from London its well appointed. We will certainly return again soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

So many things about this hotel looked good but the room we were given (last one remaining as we arrived late at night due to pre-wedding bridesmaid duties) was all talk and no trousers (so to speak). I will take a little responsibility for throwing a spanner in the works as my husband came with me at the last minute.

Even so though, there are basic standards that you should expect. Our bed was lumpy and the springs clunked when we lay on it. There wasn't enough hot water for even one shower - perhaps that had something to do with dodgy flush button on the toilet? Oh and did I mention the live music until 11.30 and the Friday night drinkers outside our window. Also, no-one mentioned the quirky motion sensor light in the hall of our room. We spent ages looking for the switch... it was only after admitting defeat and resigning ourselves to sleeping with it on that it went off. Kinda funny, but not.

On the plus side the bar downstairs looked great and the staff were lovely. The décor in our room was cool. It's the attention to detail that was missing; like, fresh menu's and brochures (ours had been torn in the corner and was wrinkled with age), dust in the bath....and the back-killing mattress.

Not the sort of rest we had hoped for before our friends wedding.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
JT082010, Owner at The Market Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay at The Market Hotel. The bed in the room you stayed in has received no complaints prior to your stay, however I will investigate the current condition of the mattress and springs.
I must apologise for you not being able to enjoy a hot shower. This, as you state, is a basic standard you expect. We have had intermittent problems with our boiler, which have now been rectified and I can only apologise again for the inconvenience this caused you.
As with many hotels now, several of our lights in both the Hotel and bedrooms, are motion sensored due to the high costs of utility bills. Having now timed the sensor light myself, it does only stay on for just over 30 seconds, however in future we will make guests aware of this before entering into their room.
We will aim to continue improving our attention to detail and are pleased to hear you found the staff polite and the decor cool.

We appreciate your feedback and can only apologise again for not being able to give the experience we had wished.

Regards