“Friendly and welcoming hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alton House Hotel

Alton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alton
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Friendly and welcoming hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

We really enjoyed our overnight stay at the Alton House Hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful Rooms were nice clean and the rooms we had were really quiet.
Breakfast was good . Would recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

Hello, Stayed here for a works late Christmas Function, I arrived at about 7 ish things OK, my main moan is about the room as the rest of the night, drink and food was organised by my work.
The room was clean but the floor was all over the place, sqeeking like crazy, didn't use tea or coffee facilities and the floor was on such a slope that your feet are higher than your head so If thats uncomfortable for you like it is me beware. although I slept well due to alchohol. bathroom OK except for the sink which seemed to have either a leak or it was tilting back toward the wall so when you had a wash the splashes seemed to run off the sink all over the floor and it's not because I'm useless. i did tell reception about this so hopefully its sorted now.
Breakfast maybe my fault but i only had the ends of the bacon as I was one of the last down, however the young lady in the restaurant asked me if i wanted fried eggs and how many.
I checked out and cleared off thanks for a great christmas doo (work)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jonnyonbusiness, Director of Sales at Alton House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Seems like this guest had a reasonably good time. Sorry about the sloping floor but Alton House Hotel is grade 2 listed, if we were made aware that this was a problem we would, if available offered an alternative. Despite this the score seems poor.

Travellers are raving about these Alton hotels

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

We had our wedding and the reception at the hotel in October and I can truly say it was amazing!!! We arranged a dinner the night before the wedding which was lovely and exactly what we asked for. The day itself could not have gone better! The staff were amazing and very professional. The food was so much better than we thought! Our room for the wedding night was lovely and had everything that was needed. I was so impressed with the hotel and would definately go back again!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Photo of main hotel looks quite nice, but the hotel is at best average and is overpriced. Bar and restaurant are lacking any atmosphere, beer is revolting and food of the cheap fried variety. I expect a lot more for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

My bf and I stayed here for one night. It cost £90. The room was tiny, window was broken (did not shut), uneven floor (wood added to the bottom of furniture so they don't wobble), stained carpet, pipes banging, old bed and smelt of mould/musk. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jonnyonbusiness, General Manager at Alton House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Sorry you didn't enjoy youir stay but the floor is uneven because of the character of the room, this is a hotel of Georgian origin, and a block of wood under the unit to keep it level is really the best thing to do. We have fixed the broken window but can't fined any smell or stains on carpet.
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed here on businessas a single guest and that is exactly what I got, the room wasn't big enough to swing a cat in.
Walk in the room to the left a single bed against the wall with the window at the foot of the bed also on the left wall, in front was a small table and chair after that shower room. As you walk in to the room on the right is the TV on a cupboard which when opened up has the kettle on a tray on its side with the other bits shoved into a small space if you didn't search you wouldn't find. a small desk after that. the room measures at most 6feet x 11feet the shower had mould growing on the white silicone mastic, apart from that it was ok.
Walls were paper thin I could hear the guy next door sneezing, and in the morning he showered before me so the hot water was gone and i had a luke warm shower. I complained and all that was said was we will have to look into that sorry sir. That could be said to every guest and it never be addressed.
the first night i stayed i was really tired I just asked for a burger and chips from the restaurant which duly arrived. It was dried out like it had been under one of those heat lamps to keep it warm for ages, the bun just crumbled the burger stuck to the fork totally dry and the chips were crisps. I did eat it all I was tired and hungr after a long day and just couldn't really be bothered. It was one of those joked about situations " is everything alright sir" i just said yes OK. the waitress when clearing away said was it ok is said yes OK she said only OK, I said well if you must know..... and told her she laughed and said she would tell the chef, probably not taking me serious as i had cleaned the plate, through starvation not enjoyment. nothing more said. and I got all this fo £80 + a night, the secon night i went to a chinese in the town and sneaked it back to my cell.

Enjoy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Wozz0
Room 26 is one of only 3 single rooms we have in the hotel and are just that, single rooms but have everything that you might need. The charge was £75 not £80 the hotel was busy on the night otherwise an automatic upgrade is always offered on check in if we have availability. We always investigate any water problems and none were reported on the night in question. With regards to the food we always check our customers are happy and on the rare occassions when not we would always offer to replace the meal.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My boyf and I stayed here for one night last week. We stayed here once before a while ago as we had a meeting in Alton and got a good rate on cheap hotels.com. We thought it was ok and gave it the benefit of the doubt so booked it again.

It’s a shame as the house from the outside looks really nice, but the rooms and public areas really are tired and dated.

Our room was large but only had a double bed which is always a nightmare for us, but they were fully booked for a wedding, so no other room available. It was in a different area to the previous room we had before. It smelt a bit stale even though was a non smoking room, relatively clean although I am convinced it hadn’t been made up correctly, as there were crumbs on the tea tray, the bed looked like it had been sat on and there was only one towel.
Sheets and blankets are just wrong. They aren’t warm enough and never stay on the bed properly, so if you end up with your body touching the blanket it’s itchy and always gives me the hibbyjeebies, as you can bet your life they aren’t cleaned/washed as often as they should be. Come on, even B and B’s have duvets.
The walls are incredibly thin in this hotel. We could hear the people next door talking clearly and they were only talking in normal voices, we could also hear them turning on and off the light switches during the night that was actually so loud my boyfriend thought I was doing it! Not the best night sleep we had ever had. (We didn't notice this last time so obviously we didn't have neighbours)
Breakfast was crap, when we stayed before it was cooked to order and tasty, this time was a manky buffet, with very little choice. The coffee was an abomination.

In short we wouldn’t stay again, which is a loss to them, as we often have to come to Alton for meetings. Its 3 star rating needs reviewing as it needs hauling into 2010, redecorating and something done to deaden sounds between rooms. It could be a nice hotel with money spent on it, but I won’t hold my breath and will take my business elsewhere thanks, in fact I have stayed in far better B and B’s

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and would like to make amends when you next need to stay in Alton.

The hotel has some twin rooms but on the night in question was full and the twin rooms had been previously reserved by other guests. All our bedrooms are serviced daily including stay over rooms, but should a problem be reported we would also arrange for the room to be cleaned immediately. We are in the process of changing our rooms to duvets, which we hope will prove popular as there are many customers who people prefer sheets and blankets.

The hotel undergoes a continuous programme of updating and redecorating and comments in regard to this should be considered as an expression of personal taste.

Breakfast depending on numbers of guest could be either a plated breakfast or buffet. This is a difficult issue as we know the majority of customers find a buffet more convenient although they like table service. The coffee we serve is Douwe Egberts and have since sought feedback and found it a popular brand with no complaints.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to Alton House Hotel? Share your experiences!