“Don't go there!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alton
Broadway, United Kingdom
“Don't go there!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Tired decor, terrible food, uninterested staff. We were poked away on the top floor, in the eaves, where Rob managed to bang his head every five minutes. Not knowing how awful the meal would be, we opted to dine in the first night - BIG mistake! Soggy and bland vegetables swamped in a dreadful, tasteless yellow sauce containing garden peas. Enough said. Breakfast was £7 extra each so in view of the previous night's experience, we ran down the street to Costa's! If you have to stay in Alton, go B and B.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Well where to start ??? The Staff are just out of this world, helpful, friendly, attend to your every need, go that extra mile, and always with a smile on their face, and trust me I spent a month at this hotel and never did I see a moan or groan from any member of staff. The rooms are always clean and tidy, and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is plentiful, and the food is always well prepared and freshly cooked. The location is ideal especially if you don't drive, as its a stones throw away from Alton station. The car park has ample spaces for those that do drive. Thanks for a great stay to all at Alton house :o)))))

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank GreenmanHH
Halifax West Yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Recently returned from a 2 night stay with my family to attend a wedding at this hotel.
I was somewhat apprehensive when reading some of the previous reviews, but happy to report that it was not as bad as anticipated.
It is centrally located in the town and has convenient parking. The double rooms are comfortable, a reasonable size and contain all facilities needed. The single rooms less so and awkwardly situated, indeed the octogenarian in the group had to negotiate 40 steps both up and down to reach her room - there are no lifts.
The food at the wedding dinner was good and the room was attractively laid out with efficient and friendly staff. Breakfast was also good, if a little limited in choice.
The public areas remind one of an old home, but are warm and there are plenty of chairs - the furnishings throughout could do with a lick of paint and sprucing up.
Staff were friendly and obliging and that was to the hotel's credit.
Overall, perfectly adequate for a short stay.

Room Tip: * 1st floor double rooms are fine; check carefully for all single rooms. * Beware of the hot water...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric S
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I stayed here on the 8th January 2013 whilst on a business trip.
I stayed in room 39 which is at the top of the house up a couple of sets of stairs and not the easiest to find. I had three bags and was not offered assistance or advised about the distance from reception.
As the room was at the top of the house the room had sloping ceilings (T-falls) which meant for someone at 6 feet 2 as I am I could not easily get around the bed and that the bathroom was difficult as standing in the bath for a shower was impossible as I had to stoop to get under the shower head. Also I could not get too close to the sink to brush my teeth or shave as the roof line was so shallow.
I choose to eat in the bar/ restaurant given my late arrival 8.30. Sadly my second mistake of the evening. I ordered the beef burger as my main course and was served a very well done lump of meat that was as tough as old boots. After waiting 10 minutes to get the attention of the waitress I eventually got her attention by getting up and catching her as she went to and from the bar and asked if i could have a burger a little less well done and more a medium. She returned a couple of minutes later to tell me that chef was unable to cook it any other way due to health and safety. As someone who works in the care industry as a CEO and have managed services with many chefs in them I have never heard such a statement in relation to asking for beef to be served medium being a health and safety issue.
Given this I choose to have fish and chips instead believing it to be safer but this was my third mistake of the evening as the fish was not fully cooked and the peas served with it were cool and rehydrated frozen peas. The more cynical side of me believing that the chef was teaching me a lesson for complaining.
I cut my losses and did not have desert and fled to my room
In fairness to reception the next morning when they asked if my stay had been good and after there initial shock when I said no it had not been good they took the cost of the meal off the bill.
I wrote to them complaining about the stay and then chased up when I have had no response a week later but to date still have had no response. Very poor customer service I have to say.

Room Tip: If you are 6 feet or taller make sure you do not get a room at the top of the hotel steer clear of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TonyMclean

Travellers are raving about these Alton hotels

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Nice welcome, great customer service. We were arriving later than excepted they called us to see if we want the restaurant to wait for us. Fab as we really needed to eat. The food was good and good value. We were think of a party in the future night porter heard us chatting he showed I'd around then arranged for information to be ready in the morning. We told him we were leaving earlier than normal breakfast time. He took our order there and then. When we came down in the morning breakfast was ready and waiting. They only down side our bedroom was very cold and the bed was to soft and we rolled together but not in a comfortable way. A little old fashion in some areas. We would return in the future.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Wackywheels
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many, many, times over the past 20 years and can honestly say that the staff are always very professional, welcoming and extremely helpful. However my last visit will probably be the last.

It's location is great and the amenities (with the outdoor swimming pool etc and great menu) a few years ago was excellent. However over the past few years it has become a bit tatty and in need of a lick of paint (sadly the swimming pool is now empty covered with a torn cover). The cleaning standards have also deteriorated - dust along the tiles in the bathroom, a loo brush that had been there for many years, dusty kettle. But, although the sink, loo and bath were clean it was the stupidest little thing that bothered me .... The half used shampoo and shower gel that was left in the shower soap dish as a reminder of the last guest! The rest of the room was fine although it was absolutely freezing as both the heater and the bathroom towel rail turned off (so cold that I had to turn them on and then sit downstairs for an hour til it warmed up enough to have a shower).

The gardens and planters are still kept in excellent condition. But, please, the trellis enclosure outside the cafe/bar is spoilt by the use of the cheap, green plastic planters! Despite the the time of the year, I always have a wander around the beautifully manicured garden. Please empty the ashtrays on the patio! By the colour of the water the cigarette butts were floating in, they had been there a while!

The wifi isn't free, I got as far as registering my credit card with the Spectrum provider and decided not to bother. When you are paying £80+ per night for b&b I would expect free wifi in this day and age.

Sadly what used to be a brilliant restaurant is no longer and after my last couple of visits I decided to eat out at the local Indian Restaurant (which I would highly recommend). Breakfast is self service (apart from the tea/coffee/toast) and was good quality.

I think the staff and the location of this hotel is what has enticed me back in the last 3 years, always hoping that it would improve. Sadly this has not been the case. The potential for this hotel is great but, I'm sorry to say, I will be considering others in the area for my next visit. Good luck with the weddings (which appear to be extremely successful and very well organised) but I think it's time that you concentrated on us weary travellers.

Room Tip: Get one at the back of the hotel the traffic is quite busy until late at night and very early in the...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DebStNewcastle
Portsmouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked this for New year, meal , disco, accommodation and brunch.
The check in was easy, reception staff very helpful, the room (30) was very spacious and clean, it was very warm in there, An excellent ensuite with a very powerful shower and large bath.
The New Years dinner was excellent, Bucks fizz welcome, then some excellent food, and plenty of it. the tables were well decorated, and the disco was not too loud.
An good nights sleep then an excellent brunch with another bucks fizz.
Can't wait to book for next year.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to Alton House Hotel? Share your experiences!