“Don't stay in Room 26”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alton
Preston, United Kingdom
“Don't stay in Room 26”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Stayed here on businessas a single guest and that is exactly what I got, the room wasn't big enough to swing a cat in.
Walk in the room to the left a single bed against the wall with the window at the foot of the bed also on the left wall, in front was a small table and chair after that shower room. As you walk in to the room on the right is the TV on a cupboard which when opened up has the kettle on a tray on its side with the other bits shoved into a small space if you didn't search you wouldn't find. a small desk after that. the room measures at most 6feet x 11feet the shower had mould growing on the white silicone mastic, apart from that it was ok.
Walls were paper thin I could hear the guy next door sneezing, and in the morning he showered before me so the hot water was gone and i had a luke warm shower. I complained and all that was said was we will have to look into that sorry sir. That could be said to every guest and it never be addressed.
the first night i stayed i was really tired I just asked for a burger and chips from the restaurant which duly arrived. It was dried out like it had been under one of those heat lamps to keep it warm for ages, the bun just crumbled the burger stuck to the fork totally dry and the chips were crisps. I did eat it all I was tired and hungr after a long day and just couldn't really be bothered. It was one of those joked about situations " is everything alright sir" i just said yes OK. the waitress when clearing away said was it ok is said yes OK she said only OK, I said well if you must know..... and told her she laughed and said she would tell the chef, probably not taking me serious as i had cleaned the plate, through starvation not enjoyment. nothing more said. and I got all this fo £80 + a night, the secon night i went to a chinese in the town and sneaked it back to my cell.

Enjoy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Wozz0
jonnyonbusiness, General Manager at Alton House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Room 26 is one of only 3 single rooms we have in the hotel and are just that, single rooms but have everything that you might need. The charge was £75 not £80 the hotel was busy on the night otherwise an automatic upgrade is always offered on check in if we have availability. We always investigate any water problems and none were reported on the night in question. With regards to the food we always check our customers are happy and on the rare occassions when not we would always offer to replace the meal.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

My boyf and I stayed here for one night last week. We stayed here once before a while ago as we had a meeting in Alton and got a good rate on cheap hotels.com. We thought it was ok and gave it the benefit of the doubt so booked it again.

It’s a shame as the house from the outside looks really nice, but the rooms and public areas really are tired and dated.

Our room was large but only had a double bed which is always a nightmare for us, but they were fully booked for a wedding, so no other room available. It was in a different area to the previous room we had before. It smelt a bit stale even though was a non smoking room, relatively clean although I am convinced it hadn’t been made up correctly, as there were crumbs on the tea tray, the bed looked like it had been sat on and there was only one towel.
Sheets and blankets are just wrong. They aren’t warm enough and never stay on the bed properly, so if you end up with your body touching the blanket it’s itchy and always gives me the hibbyjeebies, as you can bet your life they aren’t cleaned/washed as often as they should be. Come on, even B and B’s have duvets.
The walls are incredibly thin in this hotel. We could hear the people next door talking clearly and they were only talking in normal voices, we could also hear them turning on and off the light switches during the night that was actually so loud my boyfriend thought I was doing it! Not the best night sleep we had ever had. (We didn't notice this last time so obviously we didn't have neighbours)
Breakfast was crap, when we stayed before it was cooked to order and tasty, this time was a manky buffet, with very little choice. The coffee was an abomination.

In short we wouldn’t stay again, which is a loss to them, as we often have to come to Alton for meetings. Its 3 star rating needs reviewing as it needs hauling into 2010, redecorating and something done to deaden sounds between rooms. It could be a nice hotel with money spent on it, but I won’t hold my breath and will take my business elsewhere thanks, in fact I have stayed in far better B and B’s

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay and would like to make amends when you next need to stay in Alton.

The hotel has some twin rooms but on the night in question was full and the twin rooms had been previously reserved by other guests. All our bedrooms are serviced daily including stay over rooms, but should a problem be reported we would also arrange for the room to be cleaned immediately. We are in the process of changing our rooms to duvets, which we hope will prove popular as there are many customers who people prefer sheets and blankets.

The hotel undergoes a continuous programme of updating and redecorating and comments in regard to this should be considered as an expression of personal taste.

Breakfast depending on numbers of guest could be either a plated breakfast or buffet. This is a difficult issue as we know the majority of customers find a buffet more convenient although they like table service. The coffee we serve is Douwe Egberts and have since sought feedback and found it a popular brand with no complaints.

Travellers are raving about these Alton hotels

Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Unusually, we didn't look at the Tripadvisor reviews until after booking a two-night stay here, so we approached our stay with a certain amount of trepidation. However, we were quite pleasantly surprised. Our room was clean and well-equipped, and a request for a room where we were not likely to be disturbed by any late-night functions had been met. True, surprisingly it lacked a hairdryer, but as stated in the facilities folder, a simple request to reception produced one for the duration of the stay. Not all that difficult! All the public areas were also perfectly presentable.

As far as the food was concerned, it wasn't exactly fine dining, but what we had was good quality, nicely presented and pretty good value for money. The restaurant was quiet, but this meant that we had exceptionally attentive service from the really pleasant staff. In fact, all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Overall, up to the standard we would expect from a three-star hotel in the UK.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2010

Never in all my years of business travelling have I stayed in a hotel that was such poor value for money. Service was dreadful and staff argued with us after upping our room rate, even though we had confirmation of our room rates. Dinner was burnt and served up as if it was ok to give us black burnt carrots and dried up peas. Had to crawl around in the bath with both the shower and bath tap working at the same time. No hairdryers in the room - even Travelodge have hair dryers in the room at £50 per night! Upon leaving the credit card machine had stopped working and all guests checking out had to write down their credit card details and security code and leave it with staff at checkout. I also to my horror found I had developed a nasty rash all down the side of my neck which looked like I had been bitten by something, which I shudder to think what could hav bitten me during my night's stay here. I shall not be returning and would advise others to find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
South of England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

You don't expect luxury for three stars but this hotel seemed very overpriced for a very average hotel and service. Requested cot wasn't in the room and carried an excessive surcharge for a bottom of the range travel cot. The room was small and in shabby condition with a light that didn't work and a shoddy TV. Positively, we slept ok and breakfast was significantly better than we expected by that stage of our stay. Overall, we wish we hadn't bothered staying there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Abha, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

i reserved a superior room and i got a very basic one.million of stairs to get to any room.no elevator.a few tv channels.poor breakfast..noisy,you can hear the neighbours talking and walking.the best thing in this property is that doesn't smell of cigarettes smoke.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in East Worldham
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#6 of 16 in Alton

Been to Alton House Hotel? Share your experiences!