“5 star wedding in a 3 star hotel!”
Review of Swan Hotel

Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alton
London
“5 star wedding in a 3 star hotel!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We had our wedding at The Swan on 27th September this year. I was concerned during the build up to the wedding as the hotel did not seem very organised. This was until new management took over and I was called by one of the lovely receptionists and put in contact with the new events coordinator. Between the two of them our wedding was spectacular.

Any problems that arose were sorted out subtly and quickly. Our reception ran without a hitch (not that I as the bride noticed) and we were made to feel so welcome and special on our day.

Our room was spotless (they even gave us a card and confetti). Our food was lovely, although service at breakfast was slow. We had family staying at the hotel who all said the rooms were great and the only problem was some mistakes on the hotels system on checking out.

We cannot thank the staff enough and intend to come for lunch to show off the wedding pictures!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Where do I start stayed at the swan 20th sept . Everywhere was filthy dirty the room was disgusting I have never felt so dirty could not wait to check out would have gone else where if I had known this once lovely hotel had badly gone down hill .Where has the old managers gone? Have they took the old housekeepers with them the only ones I saw we're kids loitering on the landings .Green king seriously need to sort this out as this lovely hotel is going on downward spiral path such a shame .

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Alton hotels

Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We have stayed here on the same weekend (Goodwood revival) for the last 4 years. We have encountered a problem or two (including a room being cancelled by their booking system) but each and every one of these were dealt with consummately by the staff.
Being a Greene King property the beers are a little predictable, and the restaurant has become a little more "generic" over the years but the quality is good while the range is not exciting.
Try and avoid a room at the front as apart from the locals being vocal until gone 3am on a Friday night the bathroom has clear glass on the upper half meaning buildings opposite with windows in the loft have a nice view in. Running the shower hot to steam up the windows flew in the face of the "kind to the environment, don't wash towels every day" request. The temperature scale on the shower is more of an average of the two temperatures it fluctuates between than a definite value.
Not sure if booking again for next year as the restaurant was a good reason to stay a 50 minute drive from Goodwood and the staff were always brilliant. We could get "Hunters Chicken" in a fair few places in between.

Room Tip: Avoid the original rooms at the front (noisier from locals plus noisy floor with other guests walkin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MC_PetC
Sardinia, Italy
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Staff in general were friendly. Free and functional wi-fi. Room was clean and spacious with tea, coffee, biscuits available in the room. Fittings in the bathroom were a bit worn-out, but still functional. Unfortunately, the hotel used Made-in-China cheap toiletries which didn't make a good impression. One could hear the noise of footsteps or of other fellow residents opening the doors from the corridor when staying in the room, but that is a common problem with all old buildings. Breakfast was generous and good - cooked breakfast was fresh and well-made, though the breakfast buffet could be improved by not serving freezing cold croissants and viennoiseries. I'd recommend for a weekend-stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
OEIGK, Guest Relations Manager at Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Swan. We're glad to say that we have recently reviewed all of the toiletries that we use, and are in the process of changing them for a much superior product. We do listen and try to respond to all of the feedback that we receive so appreciate the time taken to leave it
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Hi I stayed at the Swan Hotel Alton and opted for the superior room which was vey large and had a lounge incorporated. Room was spotless as was the bathroom . The restaurant facilities were excellent breakfast and dinner menu's extensive and good value . All day bar facilities and good parking a bonus.

Room Tip: choose the superior room well worth the extra
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As what we presume is an old coaching inn, it has been updated sympathetically. The reception welcome was pleasant. But there was no offer of help with luggage. The floor of the reception was an old tiled floor spoilt by splodges of chewing gum adherent and quite old looking. Could no one try to remove them? I think we were in one of the furthest away rooms, and yes progress is windy and up and down, but to be expected given the age of the building. As I opened our room door I exclaimed "it is as hot as hades". We tried to open the window, but the sash was broken. We wedged the window open with the waste bin, which by its dented appearance had been put to similar usage before. The room was clean and tidy and the bed linen simple and appealing.

The bathroom was tired. The tap over the sink dribbled when turned on at full capacity. The shower curtain was mildewed. When I took a shower before going out for the evening, I discovered that there was an old sliver of soap in the higher soap dish, so had obviously not been cleaned properly. The toilet brush container was also stained and dusty. The lights took a good 10 minutes before it was light enough to do anything useful.

There was a desk fan, which made such a terrible racket, we tried to lessen the vibratory noise by standing it on top of a hand towel.

Sleep was difficult due to the remaining heat. By the time we checked out the room was a pleasant temperature and had the window been open all day before we checked in, it would have been a much more pleasant stay. We had to sleep with the curtains open to try and get some cool night breeze into the room.

After a poor night of rest (despite comfortable beds) we went down for breakfast. The menu looked appetising and the staff serving were very helpful and hardworking. I ordered Eggs Benedict whilst my spouse had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. The waitress came back to say they had "no sauce" for the Eggs Benedict so I opted for kippers instead. Toast was quickly on our table, but was not crisp. I do not know if it was made fresh, and maybe it was, but it was crammed into a toast rack so tightly that the steam had no where to escape so just made the toast soggy and unappealing. My kippers were so overcooked as to be like orange cardboard cut-outs of kippers. I sent them back. The scrambled eggs were also so overcooked as to be dried out. The smoked salmon was lovely. My second batch of kippers was also lovely.

As we checked out, the not quite so welcoming as previous day receptionist asked me how my stay had been. As I ranked up the list of problems, I was told that lots of windows were broken. They had to remove them to replace the sashes. So why had they not been mended? "I can only report it!" When I moved on to the subject of breakfast, I was assured that all the food was cooked freshly by the chef. If that was the case, was the chef unable to make a Hollandaise sauce? "We buy it in!" Would not any chef worthy of the name check every plate of food before leaving the kitchen? No reply to that one. Was the chef unable to make Hollandaise?

So with a little more effort, this could be a lovely place to stay but I feel that the minions are working really hard with little effective management to ensure that all the little niggly things are sorted out BEFORE the guest checks in.

Room Tip: Not at the front of the hotel, very noisy at night
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Selseysilver
Dalry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We booked one night at the Alton as we were visiting friends in the area. We arrived early but the receptionist showed us upstairs and we were delighted with the Jane Austen room which had a four poster bed. The room looked onto the High Street but we heard no noise in the evening. The dinner was very good and the breakfast was delicious and served very promptly. The staff were all very good and we would be more than happy to stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine644369
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton House Hotel
Old Thorns Manor Hotel & Golf Course
The Three Horseshoes
The Three Horseshoes
#1 of 1 in East Worldham

Been to Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!