“Fascinating visit if you like nature, gardening and explorers.”

Gilbert White's House & The Oates Museum
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gilbert White & The Oates Collections explores the lives of three explorers of the natural world. The historic house was the home of the 18th century naturalist Gilbert White, and is surrounded by 25 acres of restored garden and parkland. The Oates Collections celebrates the lives of 19th century explorer Frank Oates, and Captain Lawrence Oates who travelled with Scott on the ill-fated Terra Nova Expedition. The Museum also boasts an award-winning Tea Parlour, gift shop and plant sales.
Reading, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Fascinating visit if you like nature, gardening and explorers.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

A lovely house giving a taste of the ecologist Gilbert White. Also another section on the polar explorer Captain Oates. A great combination plus beautiful grounds and a beautiful village. House restaurant was excellent and a gift shop with something different.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Kathryn S

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'm Just Going Out”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Since seeing the Classic Ealing film 'Scott of the Antarctic' earlier this year I promised myself a return trip to the Gilbert White museum in Selborne which is also the home of the Oates collection.

I searched for the museum on the web. Both the museum's website and Trip Advisor reviews were useful in planning my visit.

I love my museums, and I'm pleased to say that this museum is much loved. The updated Lawrence Oates galleries were very informative and faithfully evoked that brave scientific journey embarked upon by Captain Scott and his team of explorers.

My companion and I enjoyed a welcome lunch in the 18th century styled Tea Room.
And after a stroll around the gardens and parklands we were able to simply relax, take in the view of the famous Selborne Hanger whilst having tea and cake on the lawn.

And the bonus was that when we gift aided our admission we got got free entry to the museum for a whole year!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lester L
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not a lot to see”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As usual I visited this attraction with a coach party. Compared with other houses and gardens I have visited there was not a lot to see. No photos allowed inside the house and very little to photograph outside.
On the positive side there is a very interesting museum and audio video show concerning Captain Oates and his family. There is also a small but highly recommended tearoom serving home baked produced. I recommend the cheese and watercress scones.

Visited July 2014
UK
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Lovely tea room and really friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Visited here with my mum for lunch and a wander around the house/garden - we both had a thoroughly enjoyable day. Staff are friendly and welcoming and tea room is delicious and excellent value - very nice home made cake too! Would definitely recommend and will be returning (if gift aid entrance price, you can return as many times as you like in a year for free!)

Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fascinating and Relaxing”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The gardens are kept with an eye for enhancing the abundant natural beauty. The house has a sense of calm and quiet and is a fitting tribute to an unsung founder of modern science

Visited July 2014