“Home away from home”

Upper Neatham Mill Farm Guest House
Ranked #4 of 17 Alton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Glenn, Theresa, James and Grandad made my husband and I feel part of the family on our second double week stay at the farm from Australia in 2 years. Nothing was too much trouble, and in fact in the five weeks we had in England, it was the only place my husband slept well. I couldn't recommend this amazing place more highly enough. I will be placing our booking for our next holiday in 2016, God willing, early to avoid disappointment. As I said, home away from home. Actually even better than home, my husband didn't have to cook breakfast, Glenn does an top cooked breakfast, with stories only he can tell hahaha.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My colleague and I stayed here for two nights while attending a training course in the area. As other reviews have said it is a lovely building in a peaceful location. Glen was really friendly and nothing was too much trouble for him even if his 'shortcut' to the training course was a bit of overgrown. Fantastic breakfast. If I ever happened to be in Alton again I would definitely stay here. Also if you're in the area pop in for a pint in the Eight Bells and ask for Nigel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Killie_Mogwai
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

As lovely as this place is from the outside and its surroundings if you end up in a downstairs room you will hear exactly what the upstairs guests are doing !

This creeky floor boards mean whatever happens upstairs the downstairs guests get to know about (at least that is what I experienced)....both days I was woken up with creaky floors,toilet visits (yes you know if its a one or a two let's say)...etc.....

That said surroundings are lovely.....place is lovely and the breakfast was good but being woken early with upstairs movements isn't ideal. This is the only reason I can fault it but due to the importance of a good nights sleep at a B & B then it has to be noted.....due to the nature of the building I doubt they could remedy this which is a shame as it is a lovely place...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2014

This lovely guest house is set in a peaceful, rural location and can be found at the end of a lane, with a bridge over a beautiful stream leading up to the entrance.The converted barn that greets you is surrounded by nice gardens with picnic tables and chairs you can use and plenty of parking space.There is an eco-friendly theme running throughout this establishment, which is used to provide the heating and hot water.
Our room no 3, was detached from the other guest rooms, it was very clean and spacious with comfortable beds, plenty of storage space and a well sized, nicely tiled bathroom with a number of bars for anyone who needs help getting in and out of baths etc. Coffee, teabags and milk are provided to enable you to make a hot drink.There is a flat screen freeview tv and a few books (the one about the local villages is very interesting), to entertain you.
Breakfasts are lovely, starting off with fruit juice and cereals, followed by a selection of cooked breakfasts, the sausages are particularly tasty and finishing with toasted home made bread and preserves. The dining room is large and very authentic with its high beamed ceilings and huge carved wooden tables and chairs.
Glen the owner is very friendly and made us feel at home, we enjoyed our chats with him over breakfast. He was happy to advise us of the best places to eat and visit in the local area, even if we did find a few of our own.
A great place to stay; quiet, peaceful and in a beautiful location. We had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Room no 3 is the largest but therefore costs a little bit more.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AngelaShea
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I believe I've stayed in 9 different hotels in and around Farnham, but now I've found this gem I don't have to put up with them any more.

Friendly welcome, huge bed, Freeview TV with all the channels, very clean with everything you need.

Fantastic breakfast which really sets you up for the day.

This is my first choice whenever I'm in the area.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms, but there's not enough of them. Book early.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 18 March 2014

i honestly could not fault my stay here. The hosts were friendly with lots of tips and advice on where to eat/directions/local info. The setting, by a river, is lovely and the guest house is surrounded by beautiful garden which my host said i was welcome to use as much as i liked. the decor is very tasteful and interesting - especially the breakfast room, which has a window out to the garden and enormous carved wooden tables and chairs. My room was very nice, immaculately clean, decorated in a cheerful yellow with interesting art prints on the walls and a lovely desk/bureau, which was great as i'd come away to do some writing. Breakfasts were great - there was a huge choice and all very tasty and hearty - from healthy fruits and cereals (plus home made apple juice) to kippers, fry ups and even full breakfast vegetarian option. All in all, excellent value and a very, very pleasant atmosphere to enjoy a break in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The whole experience started on exiting the car, even though I didn't arrive until 10pm the host, Glenn greeted me with a welcoming smile and continued by ensuring that I was not only settled in to my room but gave me a quick tour to make sure that I was familiar with all the facilities.

The room was well appointed and actually felt more like a bedroom at home rather than a hotel room, cosy and warm (it is March after all) with an excellent bed. I was so comfortable I didn't want to get up the next morning.

The breakfast selection was varied and even my off-menu choices were always well prepared. The Upper Neatham Mill prides itself on its Eco/Bio theme and certainly didn't disappoint on the food front - wonderful, he even makes his own fresh home baked bread and jams ! One morning I even had the privilege of eating breakfast whilst watching an Egret fishing in the nearby river, I don't get that at home.

I cannot fault the place, i'm just jealous that I don't live there myself !

Room Tip: Apparently there are only four rooms, I can only imagine that they are all of the same quality.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business