“Friday lunch”
Review of Station Inn

Station Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andover
Station Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 Andover B&B and Inns
Andover, United Kingdom
“Friday lunch”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have lived in Andover all our life and had always the station hotel as a bit of a run down pub. However, we very very mistaken! We popped in for lunch last Friday while our car was in the car wash across the road and had a very generous helping of beef chilli wrap (came with salad and crisps). We were totally stuffed and struggled to eat it. It was very fresh and at a very good price of £4.95 perfect! The waitress was very apologetic about the short wait we had and it was very friendly. We will certainly be visiting again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kim w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bath
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A pub with rooms, also has a restaurant but rarely saw anyone in there. Owner and wife could not be nicer. Rooms recently redecorated and hotel seems on the up. Has football on Sky TV, car park and decent breakfast. A good honest hotel with few frills.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Brighton England
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We were working in Andover for a month (October 2012) and stayed in the Danebury Hotel at the bottom of the High St. We found the room far too light even with the cutains pulled (streetlights), noisy early morning street cleaning machines and a brutal cancellation scheme.On our third week we could not get in at the Danebury and were very fortunate to be pointed in the direction of the Station Hotel We had a triple room (No 7) and were pleased to find a small chocolate on the pillow along with another chocolate bar and bottle of water for each of us in the fridge. The room was large with a nice size en~suite bath room. A wall mounted electric heater soon warmed up the room. The shower was good ( i am very fussy about hotel showers ) and there is a heated towel rail as well for warming the kingsize bath towel. We went downstairs for dinner but were informed that the chef was away that week, oh well off to Weatherspoons we go. Breakfast at The Station is very good, orange juice, cerials, yoghurt and toast are self service and then you can order whatever you want from bacon sandwich to full English, any type of egg is available as well, The food was delcious and very well presented. The bar in the hotel is fine, footbal is shown and there are two pool tables. On the second week @ the Station the chef was back, the menu is varied with the usual pub type meals as well as a "specials" board. I can honestly say that if you can find better food for the price that is charged,then i would be very suprised. Delicious, good sized portions of very well cooked food for around the same price as Weatherspoons. All the staff at the Station are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble, even the regulars at the pub / bar are friendly. If you are going to stay in Andover I reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank FloridaMick
Devon
Reviewed 5 October 2012

stayed here because we were visiting friends and family for the weekend and wanted to be in the town centre. We were not sure what we were going to find as years before it was just your typical town boozer. I have to say, impressed? yes. Room was great, and had a spare single bed too. ideal as a family room because of the size, large double bed and very comfy. Very little road noise, I am not a good sleeper but had no problem here. Yes it is basic, but spotlessly clean. For the price you pay it was great. Could do with a full length mirror in the room or somewhere on the corridor, and a shelf in the bathroom to put wash bags, make-up etc would be great. We moved one of the bedside tables into the bathroom for our things. The food was great, yummy ribeye steak, thaks Seb. staff lovely would stay here again.

Room Tip: room 7 at the back of the hotel, although none front the road. Saw a couple of the other rooms, all...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed one night (last night actually). The reception is the bar basically. And I found the staff to be friendly and welcoming when I came in.

I was told about breakfast times, and shown where that would be. When I mentioned probably wouldn't have time for breakfast they offered to do me a packed lunch. I said it can be tricky as I am a Celiac to which the lady responded "Well we easily do you the packed lunch without bread. There's fruit etc". I was just very struck by how customer focussed this was. (I didn't have time for the breakfast in the end but it smelt great as I was checking out). I had to leave for a meeting so early - that the bar itself wasn't open yet - but the chef from breakfast not only came out to assist me by taking the key back etc - but also in the midst of doing the breakfast held the doors open so I could easily pull my case through. (Again very good attention to customer care).

I was shown to my room which was spotless and had plenty of space. Modern decor. Tea and coffee provisions and water in the little fridge if you need it (though I used the tap water). And some good basics like a hand creme and shower gels in the bathroom.

After a long day and in desperate need of a shower - I found I simply could not turn it on. So had to phone reception as I'd already changed in to my dressing gown so couldn't go downstairs! (No phone in the room so make sure you take your mobile). The manager came up immediately to sort it out (it had just been overtightened by what I can only assume was the incredible hulk! Myself and the manager had hysterics as he himself used both his hands to untighen it).

While this is a pub and obviously you can hear a not too intrusive hum of music and occasionally chatter from the outside area - I didn't find it bothered me in the slightest. It really wasn't loud. The pub closes at 11pm which for most of us is really no biggie. Certainly isn't for me. And as Madalene (who I booked my room with) pointed out when I said "Is it a quite room?"- Andover is a pretty quiet place generally. So I really had a good nights sleep here.

The bed was comfy. The room clean and I liked the fact that there were original feature windows in the room. Makes you feel at home. There is also a wall heater in the room for winter times. As well as a heated towel rail in the bathroom if you need it.

There are only 7 rooms in total. So I can imagine in high season this being tricky to get in to.

For me it was the most perfect location. Walkable to the main shopping area within minutes, right on top of one enormous Asda and one smaller Sainsbury's. Also immediately walkable to a large cinema.

In short - I really liked this place and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
nottingham
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed in April for business.
Overall I thought this was a good quality B&B. The staff were friendly and helpful, good sized rooms (with a very powerful shower!) and good pub food.
The downside for me was that the room was freezing. It was a cold day and the window had been left open – I was told they “like to keep it fresh but the radiator worked if I needed it”; strange bearing in mind I’d just been told the light sensitive lights in the hallway might take a while to turn on but they were “doing their bit for the environment”! I turned the radiator on when I went to get dinner. The room was still freezing an hour and a half later – it was 10pm by then and I couldn’t be bothered to ask to change rooms. I did notice a very slightly musty smell to the room so maybe it hadn’t been used for a while and the window was open for that. I wouldn’t let this put you off booking though – overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
zander710, Owner at Station Inn, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
We are very disapointed that this traveller felt there were problems with his room.
On the point of the windows being open on arrival, this is done every day in all rooms to air them and not because of any problems with damp. I have also had the electric heaters in all the rooms and we found that after closing the windows, it took an average of about 20 minutes to warm them up. It is disapointing that we did not have a chance to correct this problem on the day s I am sure we could have. If the traveler returns we will endeavoure to ensure he has a comfortable stay.
UK
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is an excellent hotel to stay in, the rooms are basic but large and very clean, the full english breakfast was of very high quality ingredients and very tasty.

The hotel bar is clean and friendly, they had music on when we were there but it could not be heard in our room.

The hotel has ample easy parking and is close to town.

The staff are efficient and polite.

A very pleasent stay with no problems.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
zander710, Owner at Station Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
We would like to thank this reviewer for being so factual in his review, all reviews, even the not so good one or two, helps us to get it right for our guests.
We have recently been assessed by the English Tourist assessment scheme which entails one of them booking in as a customer, staying over night and eating both Dinner and Breakfast. In the morning they announce themselves at which point we show them round the whole premises to allow them to assess every area of the business.
We are very proud to announce that we have retained our FOUR star **** Coaching Inn status with the Silver Accolade for extra effort and facilities.
We'd like to thank you to all our loyal customers and look forward to seeing you all soon.
Alex, Romana
and all the staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
The Star & Garter
#1 of 1 in Hurstbourne Tarrant
Days Inn Sutton Scotney North
Days Inn Sutton Scotney North
#13 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Station Inn? Share your experiences!