“Andover needs more nice places like this!”
Review of The Star & Garter

The Star & Garter
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Andover
Andover, United Kingdom
“Andover needs more nice places like this!”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just been for a drink to the bar with few friends. Very nice cocktails. I'm Italian, I come from Milan, and the Tokyo iced tea it's always been my favourite drink. I was so happy when I saw it on the list and even happier after I tried it. It was just amazing!
We were so pleased with the bar drinks and service that we decided to try the restaurant. The food was nice too. Classic pub food and nice wine for a very good price. Good value for money.
The service was very good too. We asked for advice and the staff was kind and honest.
We also asked to see the room for few friends coming soon. The receptionist was very kind and she showed us one room looking over high street. It was beyond expectation. Nice, spacious, clean, great for business but cosy at the same time. Double glassed, so it shouldn't be too noisy. The receptionist is been so honest to tell us not all the room are so spacious, no to be disappointed in case we would get a smaller room.
I'm happily impressed. You can see that it is a young business and things are going to go even better with time, so all the best luck and please try to increase a bit the standard in Andover!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francesca B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We ate at the restaurant in this newly-opened hotel earlier in the week and found it to be nice and clean with plenty of space between tables (ie not cramming them in like some places). We paid for the carvery meal which was good value, and the deserts were good value too although my crumble was a little dry and needed a bit more custard. Service was good but because we were in a corner it was easy to be overlooked and we struggled to get attention for the desert problem, so I ate it as it was. We did find the drinks a little expensive but have been used to Wetherspoon prices which I gues are difficult to compete with.
Altogether a reasonable experience though and we will visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I've been for two meals in the evenings with friends, and have recommended to friends at work. Despite being open a few weeks the staff were attentive without being overpowering. Three of the party had the carvery and one scampi and chips. The staff were very upfront about how long the scampi would take in comparison to the carvery and we were able to time it so we all had meals at the same time. The décor is lovely and I really liked that the tables aren't positioned close together so giving privacy to diners. We will definitely be back again and will consider the venue for a works Christmas meal. Well done!

Room Tip: N/A as didn't stay
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We went to The Star and Garter last night (1/2/14) having gone in previously for a drink at the bar and to view the rooms for potential work bookings (very nice rooms, clean, well appointed, nicely decorated but unfortunately for us, great for the hotel, they were fully booked when we rang a week or so later). Anyway, we wanted to sample the carvery having had heard really good reports about it from a work colleague, and we were not disappointed. Extremely friendly staff, tastefully decorated room with small candles on the tables and a nicely presented carvery. We opted for a starter of garlic mushrooms in a cream sauce (very tasty but enough sauce that it would have benefited a small chunk of bread to mop it up with, so perhaps worth considering adding?), and bbq chicken wings which were also nice (came with finger bowl which was a nice touch). Then on to the carvery! I went for the gammon and my partner couldn't decide so went for a bit of everything, gammon, turkey and beef. The chef couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful and was happy to carve thick slices of everything, no surly mumbling that it was one meat only or just a tiny sliver made up with mountains of veg (a carvery is all about the meat after all!). All of the meat's were succulent and so tender they just fell apart. The veg and trimmings were all well cooked and tasty too and we had masses of gravy to splash over it. Probably the best carvery we have had in a very long time! The only niggle was the room was way too bright, the lights needed dimming otherwise it's in danger of feeling like a canteen than a cosy restaurant. Then the lovely waitress transferred our tab (too stuffed for free seconds of veg or sweet) to the small adjoining bar, where we had half price cocktails! It was very busy with a good mix of ages, always a good sign. This is just what Andover needs. If the S & G keeps the rooms modestly priced, the food tasty and plentiful and the service as friendly as this, I see no reason why they can't go from strength to strength. Cracking night out!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet then opt for a room overlooking the court yard but it really wasn't...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Me and a friend decided to go for coffee and lunch at the new refurbed Star & Garter. Well had to ask for a menu in the bar, which was a piece of A4 paper with a few starters from the restaurant and meat filled baguettes. Where were the tea and coffee prices or even choices? My friend is a vegetarian so we asked what she could have in a baguette and the chef said anything. Well she chose chips and a coffee and I asked for an egg salad baguette. Well the coffee came as did the chips just in a bowl, we had to ask for a fork and Mayo. Well my baguette did not arrive after over 30 minutes the people on other tables got their food. So we decided to leave and the bar man gave my friend the money for my baguette I did not get.
Its okay opening these places like chalkhill blue but for goodness sake train the staff properly please. We certainly will stick with Boswells or The White Hart from now on. : (

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tuck22013
Mark B, Owner at The Star & Garter, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for the review . i am sorry that everything was not up to our usual high standard. This is our first week and we have been so much busier than we ever expected. In fact the day that you were with us we catered for nearly 400 diners ! We are having a Bar Menu printed and it will include the coffee choices . I am sorry you had to wait 30 mins for your egg baguette , it is not on the menu , and of course we do not have the eggs cooked , and we were just trying to be helpful , by offering you this.
i chose to reopen The Star and Garter in the centre of Andover because there really was so little choice of nice places to go.We have employed 32 local people , and it takes time to get them trained . Why not give us another try ? Introduce yourself and we will give you a complimentary lunch. Thank You Mark
Stockbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I am old enough to remember the Star and Garter before it became the Danebury and am now delighted to see it return to its original name.
The refurbishment is excellent and it now offers a Carvery which was buzzing with customers and a bar in which we ate as the Carvery was so busy.
We visited in the evening - the food was tasty (although my chips were soggy and under done) and very reasonably priced - a limited menu - but something to appeal to most customers. The staff were friendly, courteous and efficient and I was offered a drink to compensate for the chips.
I was rather disappointed at the bad language used by customers at the bar - I was hoping that the hotel would attract a different clientele. A good place for a quick meal without frills at a extremely competitive price. All wines are priced the same (except sparkling) which is an interesting idea. The coffee was excellent and think in future we will use it at lunch times. Congratulations in giving Andover a comfortable, friendly central hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chilibot13
Mark B, Owner at The Star & Garter, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your kind comments. we have now been open a week and its been very hectic! Everything has gone well except of course for a few minor things which we will sort out in the next few weeks . we are going to change our bar menu and improve it . I am disappointed about the couple of customers at the bar using bad language and thankfully this is the first time this has happened , if i had been in earshot i would have asked them to leave. thanks again . Mark
Reviewed 26 January 2014

One of the largest rooms I have ever stayed in, with a lovely king size bed, the fresh fruit was a nice touch made a change form biscuits, the only slight niggle was the on suite bathroom compared to the bedroom it was tiny. the staff were very friendly and helpful and the carvery on the sunday night I stayed was excellent for value quantity and quality, will definitely return again

Room Tip: front corner room I stayed in were 202
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Premier Inn Andover Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!