“Midweek Carvery Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Andover
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Midweek Carvery Lunch”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My father suggested treating my mother & I to a Carvery lunch today. We had been debating going there for a family meal for sometime now & thought this would be a good time to give it a try. I'm very sorry to say that we were very disappointed. Although the colleagues were very pleasant & helpful & the atmosphere was good the food how ever was on the whole a big letdown. The meat was very good, tender & tasty the potatoes, boiled & roast, were practically uneatable, they were hard & cold. The vegetables, although properly cooked, were cold the same with the Yorkshire pudding. It was very quiet in the restaurant & not many people were eating the Carvery & it seemed as though it had been sat there for sometime so maybe that was the problem.
I did feel sorry for my Father as he wanted to treat us to lunch & ending up apologising to us!
Think we will need to re-think our family meal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mark B, Owner at The Star & Garter, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for your feed back. I am not quite sure what happened that day. the Potatoes and Vegetables are freshly prepared and cooked every day and we have had lots of great comments. I am sorry on this occasion it was not as good as it should have been. If you would like to ring me , I will be happy to give you a complimentary lunch for you and your family.Kind regards

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

First 2 visits were excellent, great food, good service, no problems. Adam the bar manager was very helpful when organising my birthday dinner. Excellent service, had my whole table decorated for me.

Then I went for a friends birthday. We got there at 7.30, our drinks orders werent taken until just after 8 (so we missed half price cocktails). Service was slow at the end of the night when we the staff and female supervisor were cleaning up. We had to ask for the bill. When it arrived, we had to ask them to come over and take money. We waited and waited for our change (around £9-10) it didnt arrive. I stood up to see the supervisor who had taken our money was cleaning the carvery. I asked her for our change so we cuold sort it (one member of our party was owed £4 of that so we wanted to make sure she got her change) the lady shook her head and went over to the till to get our change out. She presumed it was a tip so just didnt give it back. Was not impressed with this.

We went again last week, there were 5 of us on a reserved table. Again, we arrived at 7 and service was slow so we missed half price cocktails again. My friend asked what the curry of the day was and she was told Chicken balti. It arrives, we look and there is not one piece of chicken in it. So my friend took it back, the lady came back and was told that they had run out of chicken so it was vegetable balti now. (nothing was mentioned when brought out)
She asked for a new dinner as she didnt want veg balti and asked for a burger with cheese instead. It came out as the rest of us were finishing our dinners to have burned chips and hardly any cheese in the burger.
When it came to pudding, i had the fruit crumble and there was NO ctumble on it at all. just fruit. I waited for a member of staff to ask how it was so i could get it changed and no one came. I wasnt even asked why I didnt eat it when it was cleared from my table.

a second very dissapointing dinner. Hopefully this gets better as it has very good potential.

Cocktails are excellent and the bar staff are very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were a party of 7 who had a recent Sat/Sun overnight stay in your hotel to meet up with some other friends who live in Andover for a mini army reunion. We all found the hotel to be excellent and ideal for our purpose, we couldn't fault the rooms, the food was lovely also the service, everyone was so helpful. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay so much so that we will be provisionally booking to return in 2015. Thanks for adding to the success of our reunion.

Room Tip: Car park is not obvious it is at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tonelan
Bath
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having used this hotel several times before prior to it's refurbishments and new management when it was the Danebury, I have to say we were delighted at this new incarnation! When we parked our car, the new entrance was bright and airy with a very professional feel to it. We were greeted by a lovely lady who efficiently booked us in and showed us to our room at the back of the hotel. She was very careful to warn my husband of the very tiny door to the room! The room itself was great, not the biggest ever, but finished to a high standard, bright and very clean. The bed was comfy, the decor pleasant and the shower hot and powerful!

We ate breakfast here in the Sunday morning, and whilst there was a bit of a delay while they restocked the hot buffet with fresh food, it was well worth the wait! Hot, freshly cooked and high quality ingredients meant we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were attentive and helpful and the atmosphere very relaxing. Having stayed in a luxury hotel in Cornwall a few weeks prior to this stay, and being utterly disappointed with the service we received there, The Star and Garter has really driven home the standards we should expect from every place we stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definitely use it again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel do not get any noise form the high street at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen S
Sydney
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The Star and Garter is a very neat and friendly establishment in a great location central to all that is Andover..The Star and Garter has recently been renovated with the slight hint of fresh paint lingering in the back ground..I found the room and ensuite we stayed in to be basic but very comfortable and excellent value for money..The bar and dining facilities are of a very high standard..

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Guv69
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Not one to normally leave reviews but I've got to say, the food and customer service here is pretty damn good!
Greeted very professionally by reception on arrival, offered to carry my bags!
I wasn't sure about eating in the restaurant as the menu looked quite bland, however I opted for ham egg and chips. It was lovely!! Probably the best ham I've eaten, thick slices and lots of it!
The waiter noticed that I had a cough so even offered to get me some water!
The rooms are lovely, modern and clean. My room is large and over looking the high street.
I would come here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rachel T
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night for 1 night only (we have stayed here before). It was a refurbished room very nice and clean. We had a room at the front of the Hotel (we were advised it might get noisy at pub closing times) but we had no noise. The room was very warm though (even when we turned the radiator down).
Receptionist was very good to us on arrival at 8.55 p.m. and was willing to ask the restaurant to stay open for us to eat (we declined her kind offer) also said that we could get a take away and she would provide cutlery from the restaurant if we wanted to eat in our room with some friends we were waiting for.

Room Tip: We stayed at the front of the Hotel - Good was people watching in the street below.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ash099
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Premier Inn Andover Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,086 reviews

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!