“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Andover
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Loved this hotel. Used it as a stopover on a visit to the Cotswolds. The room was lovely, the staff were great and our carvery meal in the evening was excellent.We would recommend this to anyone and everyone for a stay and we will definately be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 303Pat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hampshire
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Restaurant has no atmosphere, bright lights hard chairs and horrible paper menus! We waiter 45 mins for our starters, when we asked where they were we were told they had forgotten to put our our order in! When they did eventually turn up they were nice. By the time we got to our carvery main course at 9:15 there was only turkey left, no cauliflower cheese, no peas and hardly any roast potatoes. We were told that the carvery finished at 9pm! My other half had a burger which he said wasn't very nice and he has been up all night throwing up! To be fair when we asked for the bill there was no charge for the food. Such a shame as they spent so much on the refurb how did they get the restaurant so wrong.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Hagndaz
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My father suggested treating my mother & I to a Carvery lunch today. We had been debating going there for a family meal for sometime now & thought this would be a good time to give it a try. I'm very sorry to say that we were very disappointed. Although the colleagues were very pleasant & helpful & the atmosphere was good the food how ever was on the whole a big letdown. The meat was very good, tender & tasty the potatoes, boiled & roast, were practically uneatable, they were hard & cold. The vegetables, although properly cooked, were cold the same with the Yorkshire pudding. It was very quiet in the restaurant & not many people were eating the Carvery & it seemed as though it had been sat there for sometime so maybe that was the problem.
I did feel sorry for my Father as he wanted to treat us to lunch & ending up apologising to us!
Think we will need to re-think our family meal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Mark B, Owner at The Star & Garter, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for your feed back. I am not quite sure what happened that day. the Potatoes and Vegetables are freshly prepared and cooked every day and we have had lots of great comments. I am sorry on this occasion it was not as good as it should have been. If you would like to ring me , I will be happy to give you a complimentary lunch for you and your family.Kind regards

Mark
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

First 2 visits were excellent, great food, good service, no problems. Adam the bar manager was very helpful when organising my birthday dinner. Excellent service, had my whole table decorated for me.

Then I went for a friends birthday. We got there at 7.30, our drinks orders werent taken until just after 8 (so we missed half price cocktails). Service was slow at the end of the night when we the staff and female supervisor were cleaning up. We had to ask for the bill. When it arrived, we had to ask them to come over and take money. We waited and waited for our change (around £9-10) it didnt arrive. I stood up to see the supervisor who had taken our money was cleaning the carvery. I asked her for our change so we cuold sort it (one member of our party was owed £4 of that so we wanted to make sure she got her change) the lady shook her head and went over to the till to get our change out. She presumed it was a tip so just didnt give it back. Was not impressed with this.

We went again last week, there were 5 of us on a reserved table. Again, we arrived at 7 and service was slow so we missed half price cocktails again. My friend asked what the curry of the day was and she was told Chicken balti. It arrives, we look and there is not one piece of chicken in it. So my friend took it back, the lady came back and was told that they had run out of chicken so it was vegetable balti now. (nothing was mentioned when brought out)
She asked for a new dinner as she didnt want veg balti and asked for a burger with cheese instead. It came out as the rest of us were finishing our dinners to have burned chips and hardly any cheese in the burger.
When it came to pudding, i had the fruit crumble and there was NO ctumble on it at all. just fruit. I waited for a member of staff to ask how it was so i could get it changed and no one came. I wasnt even asked why I didnt eat it when it was cleared from my table.

a second very dissapointing dinner. Hopefully this gets better as it has very good potential.

Cocktails are excellent and the bar staff are very good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were a party of 7 who had a recent Sat/Sun overnight stay in your hotel to meet up with some other friends who live in Andover for a mini army reunion. We all found the hotel to be excellent and ideal for our purpose, we couldn't fault the rooms, the food was lovely also the service, everyone was so helpful. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay so much so that we will be provisionally booking to return in 2015. Thanks for adding to the success of our reunion.

Room Tip: Car park is not obvious it is at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tonelan
Bath
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having used this hotel several times before prior to it's refurbishments and new management when it was the Danebury, I have to say we were delighted at this new incarnation! When we parked our car, the new entrance was bright and airy with a very professional feel to it. We were greeted by a lovely lady who efficiently booked us in and showed us to our room at the back of the hotel. She was very careful to warn my husband of the very tiny door to the room! The room itself was great, not the biggest ever, but finished to a high standard, bright and very clean. The bed was comfy, the decor pleasant and the shower hot and powerful!

We ate breakfast here in the Sunday morning, and whilst there was a bit of a delay while they restocked the hot buffet with fresh food, it was well worth the wait! Hot, freshly cooked and high quality ingredients meant we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were attentive and helpful and the atmosphere very relaxing. Having stayed in a luxury hotel in Cornwall a few weeks prior to this stay, and being utterly disappointed with the service we received there, The Star and Garter has really driven home the standards we should expect from every place we stay.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and will definitely use it again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel do not get any noise form the high street at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen S
Sydney
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The Star and Garter is a very neat and friendly establishment in a great location central to all that is Andover..The Star and Garter has recently been renovated with the slight hint of fresh paint lingering in the back ground..I found the room and ensuite we stayed in to be basic but very comfortable and excellent value for money..The bar and dining facilities are of a very high standard..

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Guv69
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Best Western Andover Hotel
Travelodge Amesbury Stonehenge Hotel
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!