“Clean, comfortable room - Excellent Value for money”
Review of The Star & Garter

The Star & Garter
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Andover
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I just wanted somewhere cheap to stay in the middle of Andover. We weren't going to eat in the hotel so really needed somewhere to lay my head. The reviews indicated an excellent hotel and I have to concur. Friendly staff on reception, clean, comfortable rooms and a good breakfast.

My only gripe was that the door to my room was a '17th Century Doorway' that only a dwarf could get through. At 6' 5", I thought someone was winding me up, but it was purely the luck of the draw.

I would still stay here again if I need to stay in Andover.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David F

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have been here twice now to stay in the accommodation. The accommodation itself is great but the food is not of a good standard and after trying several meals -I found them very dry and sometimes inedible.

The best member of staff I found is the person who works on reception. She seems to always be there and is very polite and helpful.

Most of the staff just spend time talking to each other rather than focusing on the customers - which is a let down.

My room was situated near the courtyard but the problem with this is especially on a Friday night people are usually smoking and drinking and talking loudly near the reception entrance - so I found this a problem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank trees43
Reviewed 7 April 2014

What wonderful staff ~ nothing was too much bother, always a smile and genuine customer service, approachable, professional & open to conversation. The facilities were fantastic, everywhere clean and crisp and fresh, very inviting and relaxing. The food was great too ~ I highly recommend adding breakfast to your stay and the menu was tempting and impressively priced. Looking for an excuse to book again! I'd recommend it to anyone as it made my weekend away perfect.

Room Tip: Stable rooms are easily accessible for disabled or elderly persons, or those who have a lot of lugga...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MWillman
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Have been wanting to pop into the new 'Star & Garter' to see how it's been transformed, and a catch up with friends gave us the opportunity. Walked in to find two large groups in resturant and bar well used, so nice atmosphere. Joined friends in restaurant, and although only four of us who had elected to sit away from the main crowd ( no offence, they were just having fun and we decided we could converse away from the crowd), we were constantly looked after and not forgotten. Three out of four had starters and three out of four had carvery main course, with one of us going for main course chicken. There is a trend restarting for ' fresh carvery's' .......must be a business nightmare, because how can you do fresh with drop in customers at low cost? However, to their credit, the Star & Garter managed it.
In short, if I want a town meal with good wine selection/ beer and food, I would be more than happy to keep going to ' the Star & Garter' .... If you want Michelin, you will have to go elsewhere and pay the price.... :) oh and just to say again, didn't pick up on names, but staff lovely, attentive, friendly and unobtrusive... Thank you

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Denise P
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've been staying for the last few weeks for work the rooms are the best in the area and I've stayed at all the other hotels . Friendly and efficient staff very good shower . The breakfast is very good and the restaurant is great value for money and the carvery is great value at £5:99 . It is not fine dinning but well cooked food in a nice atmosphere

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Loved this hotel. Used it as a stopover on a visit to the Cotswolds. The room was lovely, the staff were great and our carvery meal in the evening was excellent.We would recommend this to anyone and everyone for a stay and we will definately be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 303Pat
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Restaurant has no atmosphere, bright lights hard chairs and horrible paper menus! We waiter 45 mins for our starters, when we asked where they were we were told they had forgotten to put our our order in! When they did eventually turn up they were nice. By the time we got to our carvery main course at 9:15 there was only turkey left, no cauliflower cheese, no peas and hardly any roast potatoes. We were told that the carvery finished at 9pm! My other half had a burger which he said wasn't very nice and he has been up all night throwing up! To be fair when we asked for the bill there was no charge for the food. Such a shame as they spent so much on the refurb how did they get the restaurant so wrong.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Hagndaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Best Western Andover Hotel
Travelodge Andover hotel
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!