“CARVERY”

The Star & Garter
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Andover
“CARVERY”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Have used this Hotel on numerous occasions and the food and service has always been excellent and the standards have not dropped, which is good news as they have not been opened for very long.
The only down side was that some times the Beef has been a little chewy and the Chef when he served the food spilt some on the side and picked it up by his hands and I complained and he put gloves on and apologised.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you accept it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Valued customer,

I would like to thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback , we take comfort from the complimentary reviews and letters we receive from satisfied customers., I do appreciate your recognition of the efforts from our lovely team and look forward to seeing you again in the very near future
Kind regards
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Great location in the centre of town, good parking, pleasant bar, a nice room, friendly staff and good value for money. I would have give this an excellent except for the fact that they had forgotten to change our bedding before we arrived. To be fair it was sorted out immediately, and we were offered some free drinks for the inconvenience, so on balance it was a good stay and I would book this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
valued customer

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at our hotel. we do strive to ensure we have perfection every time , we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Andover

regards
Mark
England
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This old coaching inn has recently been taken over by City Hotels and they have clearly spent money on refurbishing and redecoration. My room (208) faced on to the side alley so was quiet, but the window could only be opened about 6 inches so was fairly hot. A pigeon had got in before I arrived and messed the table, but they cleaned it quickly. Another person said a pigeon had been in their room and they had to change rooms as the linen was soiled.
Lovely powerful shower in the good sized bathroom. The bedroom was ok size wise, but narrow so getting round one side of the bed was tight. The sockets on one side of the bed didnt work.
The reception staff were friendly and very helpful, they let me put my bike in a storage room and were very happy to come and unlock / lock up for me whenever I asked.
The dining room staff were also friendly and helpful, but this is were I have downgraded from average to poor as the service was so slow in the restaurant it was ridiculous. There were sufficient staff, and not that many diners but meals took forever to arrive - especially considering many people were ordering off the carvery which was a buffet, so not many meals to actually cook. Also, there was one vegetarian starter and main option, both mushroom based. On the second night I asked if there was something else as I didnt fancy the same meal twice in succession. They offered me the carvery without the meat. Slightly unimaginative. I asked if they could do a omelette for me, which they did do. By the time I got to the veg on the carvery, it was getting a bit dried out. Suggest eating there as soon as it opens! However, the meals were very good value - £5.99 for the carvery.

Room Tip: Rooms on the high street were reported to be noisy at pub closing time.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Valued guest

Thank you for your feedback we have taken your comments on board and have passed on to the relevant departments,
we look forward to seeing again in the near future

kind regards
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here for a number of nights on business recently. The hotel is very pleasant, is in a good location in the centre of Andover with free parking and is very good value with very friendly staff. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the food. Breakfast is well stocked but badly let down by the hot buffet. Evening dinner was also very poor so spent my other evenings eating at restaurants in Andover. The Star and Garter is a good base for working in Andover.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Christopher E
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

As a hotel, I can hardly fault the Star & Garter. Right in the middle of Andover, it would be great for a getaway night out...or in our case, a base for a night before a family do nearby the next day.

The receptionist was welcoming, helpful and always keen to help, great service. Our room hadn't been cleaned when we arrived, but it wasn't the end of the world as it just gave us an excuse for a G&T in the bar while we waited...and the cleaner herself was SO apologetic! While I obviously can't speak for all of the rooms, our double (#101) was HUGE...more upmarket hotels would easily classify it as a junior suite, and I've seen 1 bed flats in London that are substantially smaller! Yes the decor and furniture is a little old fashioned, perhaps surprising given the place was only refurbished last December, but for only £65 a night I'm not complaining and it's certainly great value for money. Here's a tip...get yourself a room overlooking the courtyard to avoid street noise, rooms on the other side overlook Andover high street and what seemed to be a really busy bar.

Unfortunately the downside to the Star &Garter is the standard of the food. Breakfast was fine, and pretty well priced at £7.50 for an all-you-can-eat continental/ hot buffet inclusive of tea/ coffee/ juices. Let's face facts though, it's not hard to cook a breakfast. The evening meals were the issue...overcooked chicken, lukewarm fries, flavourless over-battered whitebait that had clearly been frozen...the list goes on. Even the desserts were a let down and were clearly straight from a box from 3663 or whichever supplier they use. Generally a complete lack of effort on the food front, such a pity considering the hotel was good otherwise. The restaurant service wasn't up to the standards elsewhere in hotel either...our waitress clearly couldn't be bothered to be there leading to us having to chase up ordered items on a few occasions/ eventually giving up.

Overall, stay here just eat elsewhere...happy to give a 4 rating, but it'd only be a 2 if this was a restaurant alone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan G
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Have stayed on business as the Danebury and since refurb, no comparison, rooms clean, well appointed. I personally did not have any noise issues but havent stayed on the front. It was very hot though but then again it was very hot outside.
Nice friendly staff, excellent breakfast, didnt eat dinner there as it is well situated to walk into town.
Small point they have a poor and small choice of whisky.

Room Tip: ask for the room with the small door!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TerryTapper
Winchester
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I visited for the first time since it re-opened with a friend for breakfast. I was impressed. Friendly staff who got our drinks quickly, good choice of cereals, fruit and cooked.
It's all buffet service but I was pleased to see decent quality sausages and bacon, all nicely cooked.
There is some good competition in Andover for a cooked breakfast and I think the Star & Garter has pitched it about right. All you can eat for £7.50 including coffee is good value.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clothcreature
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
White Hart
Norton Park - A QHotel
Norton Park - A QHotel
#1 of 1 in Sutton Scotney
Holiday Inn Salisbury Stonehenge

Been to The Star & Garter? Share your experiences!