“A bad experience”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Andover
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here when visiting friends in the area. Unfortunately we wont be staying again!! First impresssions were that the room looked clean. However things soon came to light to let it down. The staff on checking in gave no information about meal times etc. There was no tea in the room and only 2 sachets of coffee - think they may have forgotten to fill up! There was a holder for a hair dryer and an attachment for a hairdryer but after washing my hair and looking for the hairdryer was told all hairdryers had been taken out of the rooms because they kept blowing up!! Went to take a shower and the water was freezing. It came out luke warm into the bath but when turned onto the shower it went cold. I was informed 'yes we do seem to be having a problem with the boiler especially in that room!' I have since read other trip advisor comments and has also been documented by someone in February. The corridors to our room were shabby and the paintwork could certainly do with a damp cloth running over. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. First of all I dont really like to see the staff stood outside the dining area smoking. We were sat near the window and had a lovely view of an overflowing ashtray and all the rubbish on the floor from the night before. The only edible things on my plate were baked beans, tomato and mushroom - but you cant really go wrong with those. The scambled egg was overcooked and the bacon like leather. The only plus was when I complained we had the room rate reduced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gymbw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

wow loved this place was away with work and have to say the white hart was excellent allison,jasmine and staff made us feel welcome , clean, cosy highly recomended

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Mark T
Andover, Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

The White Hart offers a excellent menu. On our last visit however , we had had enough. The wait of "OVER" 35 minutes was explained to us ... The Salmon is taking a while to cook ??? Others in the restaurant had had their meals delivered , devoured them and their tables cleared whilst we waited. It became obvious that who ever was cooking , was obviously cooking by " A Ticket " at a time ! this was confirmed to us later by a member of staff who told us they were always having trouble with Chef's ? And on this and possibly the previous visit , as we were willing to go a second time hoping our first visit was a one off ? the food was being cooked by the "Hotel Porter"!! What a shame. because everything points that this Hotel should be extremely successful and busy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony1104

Travellers are raving about these Andover hotels

Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The hotel is rather quirky and seems like a maze at first but we see this as a positive not a negative, better that than a square characterless box. All the staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the hotel's restaurant and had a lovely meal, good quality at a reasonable price. The room was a decent size and the ensuite and bedroom were both very clean. Breakfast was freshly cooked with quick service, again with friendly staff.

We would definitely recommend the White Hart and would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marniesimpson
In your back garden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

For £50B&B (single) in England you probably shouldn't expect much, and as long as you really don't expect much then you will probably be reasonably happy with a stay at the White Hart. However, if having the facilities of a hotel (well - pub downstairs) is not important to you, the same money will almost certaily get you a nicer room in a B&B. It's also questionable how the value would compare to (say) a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express or similar, of which there is at least one nearby.

The corridors on your way to the room look like your worst rooms above a pub nightmare. After this the rooms are a relatively pleasant surprise. Carpet was bit stained and the room smelled faintly of smoke but the room was a good deal more attractively decorated than I would have expected and wqas a good size. The bathroom was also a good size and fairly new.

Alas, the next morning the shower did not work. Hot water would come out of the tap but not out the shower hose once you switched it over. I mentioned this at check-out and they apologised and said it had been mentioned the previous day. It would have been nice to have thought that they would have either fixed it or avoided putting people in that room until the problem was resolved.

Food and at least some of the drinks in the bar are almost comically cheap.

It is a Marstons' but seems to be some sort of retro version. There is very limited resemblance to one of the many pubs that Marstons has recently built or refurbished so don't expect the same style or menu.

For my ratings, I've generally selected "Average" as "Poor" is possibly a bit harsh, given where expectations should be set.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

The White Hart is in the lovely town of Andover, midway between Stone Henge and Basingstoke on the A303. The Inn is run by the Marston's group, so you know there will be excellent food on offer, served by well trained staff.
Emily professionally checked me in and directed me to my room,
I was given Room 15 and my first impression of the room was spacious ! it also had a very large bathroom/shower room. Nice tea and coffee facilities with biscuits, and a complimentary bottle of Mineral Water which I thought was great. The flat screen TV was medium sized and it worked very well. The shower was hot and powerful, good quality bed and furniture. Room 15 is positioned seemingly directly over the bar and restaurant. This is a very busy place, so there was quite a lot of noise from downstairs, that did stop quickly after closing time.
My evening meal was very good, my breaded mushroom starter was perfect (see photo) my mixed grill was superb (see photo) and very good value for money at only £14-95. Breakfast was very good (see photo) served to me by Izabella from Poland, she is very proficient and really nice and welcoming, typical of the staff you get with Marstons. I will be staying here again because the food was so good and the people were so nice.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Carlisle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I really don’t know where to begin with these guys - I suppose on a negative - as I cannot think of one single positive thing to say about this place for as much as I have tried my hardest over the last few days to come up with at least one, but to no avail.

On arrival, we were taken to reception to check-in. We were given a piece of paper to sign, and said piece of paper had our address, phone numbers and card details on. The member of staff said “When you’ve signed this, just leave it on reception and I’ll pick it up and deal with it on my return”, on reception that I may point out is right by the main entrance for which any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk by and just help themselves to mine and my partners details. I’m sure there’s a Data Protection Act issue here!?

Once in the room the first thing I noticed here was that for a DOUBLE room only one towel was provided, ok not the end of the world we could share the first morning and ask the staff to provide a couple of fresh towels after that – we asked, nothing was done about it. So the second morning we shared the SAME towel again. We then asked again and on the third morning a SINGLE towel was provided. Brilliant!

We also ran out of toilet roll, as you can imagine this isn’t pleasant especially if you’re going to need it. Again we asked for some more, but unlike the towels this isn’t something we could just put up with and had to buy our own.

The room its self was basic and provided the basic required amenities, and I really like to have a good cup of coffee now and again without having to leave my room. However when going to fill the kettle I noticed that the inside was covered in lime scale and I would have much preferred to have drunk from the toilet – pre-flush.

We ordered tea there one night and me and my partner ordered steaks, mine medium rare and my partners well done – the food arrived quickly (A POSITIVE!!) but my partners came to the table blue. It was taken away and cooked a little more, after complaining, all whilst I’m waiting and my tea was getting cold, by time my partners food had arrived a second time, mine was luke-warm as was hers.

Whilst eating our tea there was an issue with the fire alarm that resulted in a really annoying and almost deafening constant beep that was constantly reset only to start again within a minute or so.

We were told on arrival, whilst the member of staff could be bothered to spare a single minute that breakfast was 0800-1000hrs – the first morning it was, although we were told off for sitting at the ‘wrong table’. It was edible, and filled me up (almost a positive there!), the second morning me and my partner chose to skip breakfast and stay in bed a bit longer (no issue), the third morning we went down for approximately 0940hrs to get told breakfast had finished at 0900hrs. One hour earlier than we had been advised, I couldn’t help but feel a little annoyed and ripped off as this was the morning I was most bothered about breakfast due to the 300 mile drive I had ahead. So when checking out, I thought it was only reasonable to have the cost of that particular morning’s breakfast reduced from the overall bill as we had been mislead and we still had to then go and purchase our breakfast from somewhere else.

From this point the member of staff became argumentative, almost aggressive and had serious attitude problem. I asked to speak to the manager who just conveniently had to be out of the building, when I asked how long he was going to be all I got was “I don’t know, you’ll just have to sit there and wait for him” – really, I have to sit around and wait for the manager? At almost £100 a night, this isn’t exactly how I anticipated being treated. When the manger did turn up, he did the right thing and reduced out bill accordingly – Well Done.

So overall, if none of the above is likely to bother you then you will really enjoy your stay. But for us, it was that bad that we had to cancel our next booking with them because neither of us could bear the thought of staying in this hotel again. In essence it has potentially ruined our new year, as most of the other hotels on that area are now full.

Room Tip: The rooms are average, the issue is more with the staff.