“Really Special”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dogmersfield
Leeds
“Really Special”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is fantastic. Its in a rural setting with extensive grounds. Its an old property which has been completely gutted and the result is a fantastic looking building with all the mod-cons. The rooms are spectacular. I'm in the East Wing in 2104 and this overlooks a beautiful garden with the grounds in the distance. The bathroom is larger than some London hotel rooms with a fabulous bath, massive shower and separate toilet. There is also a separate dressing room area. The conference facilities are excellent. Dinner last night was excellent. I am guessing that costs are very high but, as I'm not paying, I'm not worried!
Service is incredibly attentive. Check in was speedy but personal. I was then escorted to my room.
I cant fault anything in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is one of my favourite UK hotels. As soon as you pull in to the drive you can feel yourself relaxing. Everything about this hotel is of high quality, the rooms are beautiful, the food is delicious, the lounge areas are lovely. The staff service is fantastic, they go the extra mile to make you feel welcome and enjoy your stay. I would heartily recommend this property for a relaxing weekend in the country.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
FSHH, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I'm so delighted to read that you include Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire amongst your most favourite UK hotels. Creating both a relaxing and 'home from home' environment is important to us. I hope that you will choose to return for your next country escape!
Kind regards,
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Me and my husband spent Easter there. Overall a very good experience but without wanting to be mean we found its style a bit character free.

Pros: good service but at times not 5 star, pool size and area good when it was more free of children. Tea room free of children was a nice spot. The place was warm which was great! Tennis courts were excellent and the coach was also very good. Shower nice and powerful. The food was very good even at the Thai place.

Cons: room a bit pricey and not very bright especially given that it was on the top floor. Too much stuff in it. Restaurant where breakfast was also served was like a posh golf club dining place. Noisy and no style. TV in the room was not working properly at times. Coffee maker was not working and when we asked for a replacement the member of stuff did not know how to operate it but thankfully I did. The worst thing for me was when we used the shoe cleaning service. I gave them my suede boots and they came back destroyed. They had polished the suede off. The disappointing thing was on our check out when we talked to some manager and he checked with the cleaning stuff and he said that they were not suede! I am not fussy I told them a refund of £50 to replace them would be enough (they were cheap) but I wouldn't expect this answer from that kind of hotel before refunding me. The surrounding countryside was a bit boring and it didn't help that you could see the pylons around. Also no proper gardens just a tiny one.
Overall we found it lacking character really especially the restaurant. I would rather have less activities and nicer gardens or more places to lounge. There is no wow factor there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback with regard to your stay over Easter. Being a family-friendly property we do experience high levels of children during the school holidays although hope that we reach a balance for those travelling without. Our tennis instruction is always popular and as a result we have welcomed back a PBI Tennis Pro, Ben, who will be resident until the end of September offering both private tuition and running tennis clinics. Our grounds are now in full bloom so do look more inviting than earlier in the season. I can only apologise for the error with regard the shoe shine but trust that you were happy with the resolution.
With kind regards,
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Arrived at 3pm for afternoon tea which was pre booked. Initially presented with a table with 2 wing back chairs and a dining chair, the two wing back chairs were comfortable but the dining chair stuck in the middle of a walk way and a foot higher than the other chairs made for a potentially awkward afternoon tea, we were moved to a table in a corner opposite the reception area main door. This should be the last table they utilise as it's opposite the main entrance door and therefore a freezing blast of air passes you every few minutes as people come and go. There were lovely window tables which were not used at all well inside the library for the entire duration of our afternoon visit, bizarre.

Afternoon tea was ok but not amazing. Tea presented without additional hot water which meant it stewed before being offered a replacement pot.

Sandwiches good and fresh, clotted cream in a tiny pot for three people which was woefully inadequate for the huge and tasty scones, the other cakes presented were disappointing.

Having been here three times in as many months this was very disappointing and unfortunately on this occasion they let themselves down.

The setting is gorgeous and I hope it was just a "bad day", below par for the service we have received before.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Serviceisessential
Dear Guest,
It is such a shame to read that your most recent 'Afternoon Tea' experience was disappointing in relation to your previous visits and did not reflect our usual high levels of service that you have come to expect. So that we can ensure your next visit is back 'above par' I would encourage you to concact our Director of Food and Beverage, David Monson, on 01252 853 012 or via david.monson@ fourseasons.com who would be pleased to oversee your reservation.
With very best wishes,
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We went here in April 2013 for an easter break. We are a couple with a 3 year old.

The service was truly excellent. Every meal we went to, they had children's cutlery already lined up. There were rubber ducks in the pool and our duaghter's name spelled out. For easter they setup a petting zoo. Teh pool had swimming nappies, floaties etc and was ehated nicely..

Basically you can not fault the service.

However it is pricey and everyone there seemed to either be Russian and/or travelling with a nanny, so be prepared to see some pretentiousness.

Overall a very nice hotel, in a beautiful setting with a rich crowd.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit during Easter. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the 'extra touches' and faultless service and that it made for an enjoyable family break. We consider ourselves both a relaxed and friendly hotel and typically shy away from any pretension.
I hope that you will choose to visit us again with your young family.
Warm regards,
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent 6 course dinner with very fine wines for each course. A great , very French menu tonight.
Highlights included the foie gras, and Duck leg Condit for me.
Venue very high class and the service very good.
Very spacious private dining room.
A classic Chaine des Rotisseurs evening with very good organisation, great company and discussion. Thought about staying at the hotel but it was an easy taxi ride from Reading.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barneyq101
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Thanks to TripAdvisor, I was made aware in advance of the "Pet-Friendly Policy" adopted by this Hotel. For me "Pet-Friendly Policy" equals "a big hulking dog could have slept in your bedroom last night and on your bed -with a militant owner who treats his dog like a child (i.e. pretty much every dog owner I encounter)", so I rang up and expressed my disappointment at learning of this policy very late, and asked about my allocated room. A dog had slept in the room only a few days before, but had "short hair". That did not make any difference to me. I was not happy before I arrived, but I was kind of stuck, everywhere else was booked. They moved me to another room, where a dog had not stayed for at least four weeks. Not a great start though. You may not agree with me, in which case this Hotel is definitely for you.

As soon as we arrived, we were made to feel welcome. Charlie Parker, the General Manager, bends over backwards for his guests. A calm, affable, helpful presence around campus, he glides from one side of the hotel to the other without detection, almost appearing as a thought bubble next to you at the moment you want to ask a question. He is there, along with a colleague, to see to your every needs. Now that is First Class Service. Olivia was the same. They were always thinking of ways of making our experience enjoyable.

The facilities are great. Where else can you go Horse Riding and Shooting, and go the Spa, with the Kids playing in the Kids Club?

Here is my list of Pros and Cons:

PROS:

1. First Class Service. From Charlie and Olivia, to the staff in the restaurant. Everyone is happy and motivated to serve. This makes a huge difference.
2. First Class Facilities. The Equestrian Center is second to none. Brand new and 9 or so horses. The Shooting Range is not quite Gleneagles, but a decent effort and we loved it. The Spa is good, not as large as other Hotels.
3. Great Food. The Farmers Market on Sunday was to die for. There is also "Cafe Sante", with a Thai chef, serving delicious Thai food. Make sure you have time to take this in.

CONS

1. If you are not travelling with your kids, probably best to avoid. There's nothing worse than paying a lot of money for someone else to look after your kids at home, and going to a hotel surrounded by the noise of everyone else's.
2. Dogs: If you are like me, and have a problem with staying in a room where a dog has stayed, then this is not for you either. I cannot contemplate going back until they change their Policy and at least separate out some "Pet-Friendly" rooms. I would not do it at home, so I won't pay premium prices to stay in a room at a hotel where they allow it.
3. The relaxation areas at the front of the Hotel (i.e. newspapers and tea whilst the kids are in the kids club) are limited to a couple of small-ish rooms. This is similar to Calcot Manor. For a real relaxation experience when the kids are in the kids club, there needs to be a bigger area, where you are not on top of the other guests trying to relax, and also kids need to be excluded. Once again, for the militant Family Friendly people out there - when your kids are in kids club you don't want to be surrounded by the noise of everyone elses'; you want to relax.
4. Dogs. Sorry, this comes up again, because although they are not supposed to be in the Food and Beverage area, they were allowed into an area where I was relaxing just outside the Food and Beverage area. It had been raining that day, and the smell of Wet Dog Hair might be attractive to you if you own a dog, but I don't, so it wasn't. It just made me feel sick. Then the family proceeded to order Room Service and eat it around the Dog. I did not turn around to see whether said Dog was licking the plate clean.

Anyway, a special mention for the terrific Easter Egg Hunt for the kids, it was really very special. Well done to the Four Seasons Hampshire for a terrific weekend. If they relax their "Twelve Monkeys" policy towards Dogs, I might even go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Justin74London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dogmersfield
Tylney Hall
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Oakley Hall Hotel
Oakley Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oakley

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England? Share your experiences!