“Great Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Eastleigh
Dublin
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 10 September 2008

The hotel its self is fine, very clean rooms are well equipped. The hotel is also quiet. very close to the airport and about 20 pounds in a taxi to the cruise port
The real jewel in this crown is the pub next door. Lovely bar with friendly staff and great jazz music. breakfast is also served in the restaurant part of the pub..it was super. Really great serving staff and loads of great food.

Only negative point of hotel was they charged us the full rate for the night even though we had booked online with a discount rate, however when we told them they refunded us the difference.

• Liked — The bar attached to the hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2008

I stayed here for a night prior to flying from Eastleigh. The hotel is very similar to a lodge style from one of the big chains. There are few facilities in the hotel, you can dine in the pub next door.
Our room was fine, if a little small, considering the price.
We chose to eat in the Moldy Fig pub next door. This was very busy, being a Friday night when they have a jazz band playing. We chose from the a la carte menu and our food was served promptly and of a good quality. The real ale was very good too. Breakfast was excellent.
I enjoyed the jazz band, although my 17 year old son was less impressed.
My main gripe about the hotel is cost. The hotel is not worth a 30% premium over something like an Innkeeper's Lodge. The high food & beer prices were only mitigated by the jazz band playing. Stay on a night without music and you pay the same price for food & beer.
If you like jazz music then there are some reasonable deals available that include dinner, B&B and entry to the Concorde Club next door.
If you have an early flight from Eastleigh then this might be a cost effective option if you want to park a car for a week or two. There aren't many other hotels nearby and airport parking is expensive.
If you are not a flyer or a jazz fan then I'd suggest staying in a cheaper lodge type hotel, closer to a wider choice of dining and entertainment options.

• Liked — jazz in pub
  • Disliked — expensive bar & restaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Oxford
Reviewed 23 May 2008

I booked this without reading reviews on here and I really cannot believe that the people who posted negative comments stayed at the same place that I did!

I stayed for two nights on business. The room was excellent, clean, comfortable and well equiped with everying you could want including free wi-fi.

Comfy big bed, lovely bathroom top quality toiletries, free view tv, trouser press, tea coffee, posh biscuits...what more do you want???

Staff were friendly, efficient and made me feel very welcome.

The hotel is in a lovely setting and the restaurant and bar were excellent.

A good range on the menu and every meal I had was excellent, the breakfast was particularly good, and the service again could not be faulted.

I am working in the area next month and will definately stay again. I never got to go to the Jazz Club as I needed to be up early, perhaps next time, it looked very tempting.

• Liked — Modern & Clean
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Surrey, UK.
Reviewed 6 April 2008

I found this hotel via a search engine on the internet. I liked the look of it, booked a room for me and my wife, and then had a look at the reviews, which is not the best way to do things! I was perturbed by what I read about other people’s experiences of surly staff, long waits for “faggots and mash”, smelly and noisy rooms and so on. Had I read the reviews first, I would not have gone there, but I am so glad that I did. All of the staff were caring, friendly and helpful. The room was lovely, clean, cosy and quiet, and had the most comfortable bed imaginable. The drinks in the bar were reasonably priced, certainly comparable to the Surrey prices that I am used to. The food was outstandingly good, with quite a reasonable choice and excellent service. The place had a totally relaxed ambience, and I was so surprised that we could not hear any noise at all from the motorway, despite being so close to it and having our bedroom windows wide open. We both came away feeling that we had enjoyed our stay very much, and that the Saturday Special of £52:50 per head for bed, superb full English breakfast, and a three course evening meal that would compare well with any restaurant that we have dined in, represented outstanding value for money, and we can’t wait to return. By the way, until a couple of weeks ago, this ordinary working-class couple hadn’t even heard of the Concorde Club but we were truly impressed!

Stayed April 2008
Alderney
Reviewed 7 January 2008

Our second stay here, and this review is prompted by reading two negative ones already posted - completely unlike our experience.
Surprisingly pleasant location. Reception staff friendly, helpful, and immediately sorted my (mistaken) booking of a twin rather than a double. The room itself was clean and well equipped, the only downside being a slightly noisy aircon.
Really cosy bar, and - again - friendly, chatty staff. Menu is more bistro than restaurant, but the food was good, the wine list well-priced, and the service excellent, the whole lot rounded off by a three-piece band of (elderly!) gents plainly enjoying making their music as much as the customers did listening to it.
The whole experience is of a small, friendly, intimate place, with what appears to be a high proportion of regular customers - we can see why, and will certainly be joining them.

• Liked — Friendly, cosy atmosphere
  • Disliked — Not much
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Bourne end
Reviewed 2 January 2008

My local company stayed here as they have a restauarnt on site and good parking.

These and a pretty good if very limited breakfast are the only good points.

You are greeted by surley reception staff at the hotel whp have problems meeting your eye (or just have difficulty with the booking system?).

My room smelled like a previous guest had vomitted and it had been poorly cleaned. Fortunately I was only staying one night and a good airing made the world of difference.

The air conditioning unit once started would bubble every 30 minutes which made sleeping, even after a lot of wine, quite difficult! I complained about this but was told " Maybe you are a light sleeper, no one else has complained!"

We ate at the restaurant which appears sumptuous with a unique jazz sculpture as its centre piece.It has been renovated to include a pleasant balcony looking over the pond at the rear.

The wine list is concise but well priced and of good quality especially the house red!

The service or lack of it was the worst I had EVER experienced.
We waited 45mins to get a starter and then an hour and a quarter for the main course. Half our party left mid way through as we had an early start the next day.

The food when it arrived was average (mine faggots and mash- how long does it take to make this!!!) and although apologies were made this is unforgivable and they still charged us for the food!!!

The jazz club I believe has a high reputation so do yourself a favour and stay and eat elsewhere eg Marwell , excellent now it has a face lift or save your money and do the Travelodge or holiday Inn.

This was a one off you say and we were prepared to be understanding so ....

We returned on the 13th December to receive slow service, average food and once again a less than warm welcome....

You know where to stay............

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — The air con
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
9 Thank billy2008
newcastle
Reviewed 28 September 2007

We arrived 22nd september to stay with friends having checked the reviews which stated do not stay in room 14, which room did they allocate us but room 14, the smell was disgusting and totally unbearable please insist when booking that you are not given that room, the staff were unhelpful and rather offhand, needless to say we did not stay as I would rather have stayed in the car than overnight in that room

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — smelly room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
9 Thank happypappyNewcastle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eastleigh
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel
Holiday Inn Southampton - Eastleigh M3,jct13
Travelodge Eastleigh Central
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
#3 of 25 in Southampton
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to Ellington Lodge at the Concorde Club? Share your experiences!