“VSIT Reunion Dinner - What a Great Night!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Sussex Brewery
Ranked #8 of 36 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“VSIT Reunion Dinner - What a Great Night!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I'd organised a reunion dinner for 20 people and chose the Sussex Brewery as the venue, based on previous experience of something similar there. We took over the upstairs restaurant and the chef provided a tailored 'pre-order' menu prior to the event. The food arrived promptly and received great reviews from my guests; the friendly, attentive waiting staff ensured our glasses were never empty - either wine or my personal preference, real ale. Talking of which, the bar had six on tap including the excellent Waggledance on this occasion! After the meal we 'spread out' into the pub and the atmosphere was superb; overall a brilliant evening.

• Visited May 2012

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - got that unwelcome feeling”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

My wife purchased a voucher on the interweb (you know the thing) and we booked. She felt that they weren't keen to take the booking when we phoned. We know the pub quite well so didn't think anything of it.
Had a nightmare in the car park due to poorly parked cars - it is tiny. Had to ask in the pub for the guilty party to move their car so we could get in. It was a member of staff bocking the place up who was somewhat put out.
Inside we were directed to a souless box room that had all the charm of whitewashed police cell, with a poorer view. The bar area is quaint and was busy...but it was solitary confinement for us. Whist my wife and I were on a deal my daughters, bless them, both ordered the most expensive thing on the menu - duck breast...once they could be bothered to take our order. Eventually the meal arrived - sausage platters were sizeable and good quality as expected. The duck was overcooked and disappointing.
Couldn't wait to leave.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theracq
dajhill, Owner at The Sussex Brewery, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for your comments. The promotion to which you refer was undertaken by the previous operators and I can understand your comments.

We have every intention to return The Sussex Brewery to its former glory and have already appointed a new Head Chef who has made significant changes to our food. The famous O'Hagan sausages remain a key component of our menu's with the addition of other dishes that add variety and reflect his skill and style.

Come back and see us again!
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Acceptable, but not a patch on what it once was.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

This once wonderful pub ('The Sussex Brewery') has served great beers to my certain knowledge for 25+ years, but to my great disappointment discontinued the excellent Bombardier bitter in late 2010/2011. It was about that time that, like another reviewer, I noticed the diminishing portions of food, the reducing range of fare on offer, the declining quality and the significantly escalating prices. The loss of customers, and atmosphere, has turned this formerly bustling pub into a rather sad and quiet backwater at times on weekdays.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
dajhill, Owner at The Sussex Brewery, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
I am sorry to hear of your dissappointment when you visited The Sussex Brewery last year. We took over in January 2012 and have already made significant headway to return the inn to its roots offering a honest hospitality, excellent ales and wines and delicious food. The previous operators clearly failed to appreciate what they had.

Come back and see us please. Bombadier is one of our permanently stocked ales and we have appointed a new head chef to re-create our menu's. O'Hagans sausages will remain a key part of our offer.

And please be assured we will retain the inns unique atmosphere!
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and fantastic hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

WOW .. I went here with my family after stopping in for a quick lunch with some girlfriends in January. Apparently under new management with an old chef brought back in, we were not disappointed.

With a small and cosy bar at the front, complete with sawdust on the floor, being a Friday evening it was full but we were welcomed by busy staff from the kitchen and shown our table.

There were maybe 15 or more choices of sausages from a local award winning sausage maker including fillings such as venison and kangaroo but also the good old favourites like Cumberland ... my husband has one called Windies which came with a government health warning as it was hot (and it was!) the chef even makes his own vegetarian sausages - which another table near us had and they looked great too (not the cardboard ones you get in the supermarket)!

I however, had the lamb shank and what a lamb shank it was, steaming hot, flavoursome and left me thinking about it for days after! We took our two children, they had a great menu with about 6 or 7 choices including sausage and a great choice of desserts!

I can't wait to find an excuse to go back .. what more can I say?!

• Visited February 2012
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“Unchanged by Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Feels just the same as on my first visit in 1987. Welcoming, unpretentious, and excellent handpumped beers (sadly no Hermitage ales anymore) and well-chosen if pricey wines.

Visited January 2012