“A friendly place, great atmosphere and value for money”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Emsworth
warrington, cheshire
“A friendly place, great atmosphere and value for money”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Travelling to an unfamiliar part of the country for a family wedding can be stressful at the best of times, but arriving at the Crown was a delight! A friendly check in and an extra bonus of being able to use the ensuite bathroom of the room next door. We had booked rooms 7 and 8 with a shared bathroom. A few minor grips about the TV's not working and the kettle in room 8 was also very tempremental. The loo in the shared bathroom was out of action, however, none of this was mentioned to the new owner, Derek, so he did not have a chance to put these right.

The rooms were very very clean, and though not large (what does one expect in a 16th c inn?) they had everything needed for a good nights sleep.

As we had arrived late, the kitchen was closed, so we walked around Emsworth getting our bearings and looking for something to eat. We didn't fancy any of the local restaurants so went back to the Crown. I spoke with Mike, the Chef, who happily went back into the kitchen and cooked us snacks ...... excellent.

The staff couldn't have been more accommodating of everything asked of them.

If you want a great value for money room for the night, with the possibility of a great breakfast, well stocked public bar (local beers) and good gastropub food, then stay at the Crown.

Room Tip: Rooms 7 and 8 share a bathroom and seperate loo. Room 9 is quirky with an ensuite and wardrobe in th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brock2n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
london
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I was rather concerned after reading some of the earlier reviews. I had booked my parents into this hotel whilst we camped up the road. I booked a month ago and I was assured a room with few stairs was available for them.
When we arrived, that same room had been given to another elderly couple! However, the owner was unaware this had occurred. He was genuinely upset and more than compensated my parents for this oversight. The room is absolutely fine for the money.
We have just eaten a very nice meal. All home cooked and it was lovely. We haven't eaten the breakfast yet, but I'm sure it will be good. And thank you to the lovely friendly staff.
We will be coming back.

Room Tip: Lovely central location for the beautiful little town of Emsworth
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Somerset, UK
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I booked two rooms for 1 night while my wife and I were helping our daughter house-hunt in the area. The rooms we had were clean, with a good standard of linens, but pretty basic otherwise with extremely thin walls and doors that banged noisily if you weren't careful in closing them.

Car parking behind the pub was the main reason for booking but, beware, spaces atre pretty limited.

Staff were all friendly and helpful and the evening meal we had was good value for money. As for breakfast, well that I cannot say. Despite having told the lady who checked us in that we would like breakfast, and despite asking at the bar before we went to bed what time breakfast was served and actually saying (while the cook appeared to be standing at the end of the bar!) that we would be down at about 8.45, when we actually went down in the morning a bit earlier, even, just before 8.30, the kitchen had closed already! Granted, the cook helpfully offered to "get everything going again" if we waited 20 minutes, but we declined and left, tummies rumbling!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Wales
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Very good bar area, excellent breakfast, friendly owners who have only had the property for a few weeks. I am sure they will make improvements to the rooms which are in need of decoration and updating where necessary. Room 9 quite poor with wardrobe in dated bathroom, which is rather unusual. I moved to room 1 which was very adequate with modern bathroom fittings and pleasant outlook, with very comfortable bed. On balance I would stay again and it is value for money for en suite room at £65 room only, in the centre of lovely Emsworth.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave507
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night before going on the ale train on the watercress line. When we arrived the staff were very courteous and helpful. We stayed in room number 1 which was bigger than I expected, the bathroom had a shower (no bath) and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. Tea and coffee is provided in the room. We wanted to order some food when we got there and to our delight they bought it up to the room for us. Had a good nights sleep and would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nice and spacious
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Have just stayed at The Crown in Emsworth and what a disappointment. The building is old and could be so much better making use of its wonderful features. We booked a double room en suite and were given a twin room. We were then moved into a double room. Extremely small and very tired decoration. The TV did not work, the bedroom door did not lock (any one could have walked in) and the shower was little more than a trickle that was affected temperature wise by (presumably) others turning hot or cold taps on in the Hotel - hence we were either scalded or frozen to death. Absolutely no compensation was offered for all the defaults and disappointment. A great shame as my son and his wife live just around the corner in a small flat with no room for parents and we would have used the hotel frequently had we been more impressed!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dunkinson25

Travellers are raving about these Emsworth hotels

london
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Well I accidentally booked the hotel when my friend gave me the wrong hotels number and postcode but im glad i did:) the town is lovely, its a small posh town and quite safe for midnight walks. I was quite surprised when i read the reviews for the hotel. I honestly think the hotel is fine and the room has a character on its own. I do agree with nobody being at the reception but hey! If youre on holiday you need to chill and take it easy. It took them like 5 mins to realise us at the reception and then a lovely lady showed us the rooms and gave us the choice(we stayed in room #1). The room was so nice and cosy, i cant say its new but it is clean and warm that makes you feel home. I seriously loved the experience and would definitely book it again. I genuinely think that some people are just troublemakers for no reason.. The hotel was definitely worth every penny i spent!

• Stayed April 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emsworth
Brookfield Hotel
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Crown? Share your experiences!