“excellent stay”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Emsworth
Reviewed 4 July 2012

3 of us booked 3 rooms for 2 nights while visiting goodwood fos,rooms were spotless,comfortable,tea coffee also tele. smallish room yes but there to sleep wash not throw party.staff were excellent very helpful,the meals were good value for money, breakfast was also really nice ,bar area was also very clean, excellent beer which went down well,seperate room for playing pool also nice seating area outside ,very close to town...all said have to say we had brill weekend would definetly stay there again.....many thanks mario,mike,graig

Room Tip: my room 7b
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2012

We used The Crown as a base whilst visiting the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
I would suggest that The Crown is a pub with rooms. With some investment it could aspire to be a nice hotel
The bar and restaurant are very nice with a good selection of beers. The food is above average for an establishment such as this. Well prepared, good portion sizes and value for money.
Now the rooms........... We stayed in a twin room with a shared bathroom & toilet. Our room overlooked the car park but the noise levels were acceptable. The beds had seen better days and the decor and carpets were shabby. Self closing mechanisms on doors didn't work so the doors banged shut. Bed linen & towels were clean. The bathroom & toilet, whilst functional are in need of a major overhaul and in my opinion really let the building down.
My acid test to any hotel is would I stay their again.............In it's current state probably not.

1  Thank jenx2468
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The bar of the hotel was very nice which misled us into thinking it would be nice upstairs - not the case!!!

The hotel itself is very tired, run down, sticky and worn carpets and an unpleasant smell. Our room was a tiny double, with very little lighting so pretty dark. My airing cupboard at home is bigger than the bathroom we had!!! The shower had no separate fuse so was plugged into a socket just outside the bathroom with a hand written sign saying "warning - do not turn off". Oddly, we had 2 showers in our cubicle as they hadn't bothered to remove the old one - and they had very generously left the wiring for the new shower exposed!!!!! I think the shower curtain was white and clear at one point in it's life but I honestly couldn't tell through the brown scum all over it.

I can't comment on breakfast as I couldn't find a member of staff to serve any so we just left.

After a 3.5hr journey to reach the hotel, we discovered our room has never even been booked - despite my having received booking confirmation by email. The one positive thing I can say about The Crown, was the helpfulness of the staff to sort out the "no booking" and they did manage to find us a room, along with a room in a different B&B for our intended 2nd night stay,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toni A
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Hotel was booked back in October for hubby and father-in-law for 3 nights! They arrived last night to find that there rooms was double booked, and it wasn't just there room!!! So they where left 6.5hours drive away from home with no where to stay! The had been on the go since 3 in the mourning as they are down that way for the Goodwood Festival. Now thee is the prob all the hotels around where booked! Only thing the Hotel could find was Gatwick! Which is no good.

I got on the phone to laterooms and they managed at 9.30pm to get them a room for the 1st 2 nights! And then the 3rd night but at a diff hotel! I can't fault laterooms at all they where fantastic! The Crown said they tried......not hard enough if you ask me!!!

I'll leave you decided where to book................

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Ok, so I think the new(ish) owners of the Crown need to work out where they sit in the market place and what they want to be. At the moment they are a Pub with rooms (at best), if they want to be a boutique hotel then they are missing the mark by a mile.

They need to do more than charge London prices for their drinks to convince me to return. A pint and a G&T costs a fraction under 9 pounds. Later the same night, I got 3 pints and half a cider in another pub in Emsworth for 11 quid.

If upping the prices way beyond any of the competition is a deliberate ploy to exclude the undesirable end of the market, then they have exceeded their brief, the place was nearly empty on a Friday evening, my guess is the locals are going elsewhere and the customers present were staying the night. A risky strategy.

Oh... and if you want me to pay London prices for my drinks at least employ bar staff who know the difference between Scotch Whisky and American Bourbon.

And one more thing - Bijou Boutique Hotels don't cover the bar with tacky home printed paper notices issuing instructions to the clientele, if you don't want a door to slam, spend 50 quid and fit a door closer!

We won't be going back for a long while, there are so many pubs in Emsworth that have a much better atmosphere at a much better price.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Arrived at around 7pm to be told that they aren't doing evening meals. Tv didnt work in my room, no towels in my room, electric went off at 10 and didn't come back on until morning, was told its happened before and they can't do anything about it. No cereals out for breakfast, had to wait half hour for a cooked breakfast. When I booked the hotel they told me breakfast was included, after breakfast I was told I still had to pay for breakfast. Rooms poor quality for £65 room only. I stay in hotels 4 nights a week all over the uk and Europe due to work and this is the first time I've felt I need to comment on a hotel, it really is worse than fawlty towers.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Greg1985
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Travelling to an unfamiliar part of the country for a family wedding can be stressful at the best of times, but arriving at the Crown was a delight! A friendly check in and an extra bonus of being able to use the ensuite bathroom of the room next door. We had booked rooms 7 and 8 with a shared bathroom. A few minor grips about the TV's not working and the kettle in room 8 was also very tempremental. The loo in the shared bathroom was out of action, however, none of this was mentioned to the new owner, Derek, so he did not have a chance to put these right.

The rooms were very very clean, and though not large (what does one expect in a 16th c inn?) they had everything needed for a good nights sleep.

As we had arrived late, the kitchen was closed, so we walked around Emsworth getting our bearings and looking for something to eat. We didn't fancy any of the local restaurants so went back to the Crown. I spoke with Mike, the Chef, who happily went back into the kitchen and cooked us snacks ...... excellent.

The staff couldn't have been more accommodating of everything asked of them.

If you want a great value for money room for the night, with the possibility of a great breakfast, well stocked public bar (local beers) and good gastropub food, then stay at the Crown.

Room Tip: Rooms 7 and 8 share a bathroom and seperate loo. Room 9 is quirky with an ensuite and wardrobe in th...
1  Thank brock2n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emsworth
Brookfield Hotel
#4 of 4 in Havant
Farmhouse & Innlodge
Farmhouse & Innlodge
#33 of 39 in Portsmouth

Been to The Crown? Share your experiences!