“A really enjoyable evening”

Restaurant 36 on The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 36 on The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 36 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$0 - US$119
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Loughborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A really enjoyable evening”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A pre Christmas family gathering. Menu looked really inviting and the dishes I choose proved to be as interesting and tasty as they sounded. Starters came promptly, and were really good. Mains and desserts added to the evening along with in-between pre course appetiser's to add to the overall feel of the evening, the stand out for me was the dessert which was fantastic. Staff were friendly, happy and attentive. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys the good food.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Chris G

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“What a complete disappointment ”
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived for a 7pm booking and by 7:45 had been seated ordered & had 2 appetisers a starter & a main course. More fast food than fine dining!! Couldn't rush us faster if they tried. Decor is lovely if very traditional

I didn't finish any of the food and no one enquired as to wether everything was ok. The scallop starter tasted burnt not grilled. The main course halibut whilst the fish was lovely. I have no idea what most of the vegetables were & didn't like the taste. As a combination it tasted like the ingredients were in a fight not well matched together.

Individually the food was of good quality but the combination was not.

The waitress was hopeless for fine dining. She poured wine like it was tap water if you didn't stop her & rushed thro all of the service. At no time enquiring with any sincerity if everything was ok even when removing nearly full plates for my starter & main

We declined the included dessert & again no enquiry into how we were enjoying our visit. We declined tea & coffee & on asking for the bill no one thought it odd that a meal costing the best part if £150 for 2 was over in under 45 minutes!!

I am deeply disappointed in 36. I also am staggered at how it is Michelin star I checked on the website afterwards as suspected it had been withdrawn

My biggest disappointment was being blatantly ignored by management & staff when we clearly were not enjoying our visit. They clearly did not care!! And neither did the kitchen staff/chef as if they deserve their star they should absolutely be following up on un-eaten meals

So in summary. I would not recommend

2 Thank amanda a
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food and super service”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was my first visit to 36 on The Quay, I dined with a group of thirty members and friends of La Chaine des Rotisseurs. We enjoyed a superb meal well matched with a flight of wines. for me the absolute highlight was the dessert of creme caramel with pear caramel and burnt ice cream! The previous five courses were also superb with innovative and accurate cooking. An evening to be remembered.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CareFree5
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Fine dining at its best”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I went with a group from The Chaine des Rotisseurs and we had a superb meal. Chef Patron Ray and his Head Chef Gary had created a wonderful menu full of great flavours which were slightly different without being zany. We started with a pea broth which had slivers of scallop lurking within. A Cod Brandade was a froth flavoured with onion and garlic which worked well. The star was the ragout of guinea fowl within a ravioli casing. Braised beef cheek, cheese and crème caramel with a difference seemed almost mundane after that - but of course weren't. Although the menu was a one off creation with wines to match, the quality and consistency of the food and the imagination behind the courses will be reflected in their menus. Service is efficient but maintains a level of friendliness that is often lost in some fine dining establishments. Highly recommended with confidence.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank andrewacrawford
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Really high standard dining”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit, this time as part of a party of 30. The standard experienced when we were last here as a couple was also met for this large group. The menu of six courses was thoughtfully put together and all six were outstanding. Highlights were the scrumptious "Cod Brandade" and the "Ravioli of Guinea Fowl". Food was accompanied by six excellent wines chosen by the restaurant. Service was good and everything was under control throughout. Top class.

Visited November 2013