“What's All The Fuss?”

Restaurant 36 on The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 36 on The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 37 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$0 - US$119
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2014

People locally have raved about this restaurant so my husband and I finally booked ourselves in for a meal. It was a pleasant enough experience but we won't be rushing back. Maybe we've been spoilt elsewhere but the whole meal lacked the sparkle and finesse we expected for a lunch which cost just under £100. The menu is limited, particularly if you are not a meat eater, and although the food is of good quality, the flavours were neither exciting nor varied, and the portions are very small. Staff were courteous and cheerful & the ambiance was understated, but there are other places in the area offering much better, less pretentious food.

1  Thank curlygirl1965

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have enjoyed several meals at 36 On The Quay and each visit is just as spoiling as the next. The menus are carefully researched and so full of creative innovation. Compliment au chef! The food is presented as a piece of art work, and tastes sublime. The wine list is extensive and the staff are well trained. I would have enjoyed, possibly, a little background music, however, the owner is always there to provide a warm welcome and the setting by the harbor is utterly enchanting. The dining room has recently been refurbished and was beautifully warm on our last visit which was pretty cold and wet. I simply love dining here as it's one of my favorite places.

2  Thank vanessawills
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The food at this place really does do the photos on the website justice. We had the weekend a la carte menu rather than the tasting menu, but that did mean we got to do the cheese course was was served brilliantly and informatively.

All in all, an amazing meal in a lovely little location. We stayed overnight in one of the rooms too (reviewed separately, but equally good).

All in all, well worth the trip down from London!

1  Thank DanMcN
Reviewed 1 February 2014

As a long time enthusiast of the cooking at 36 on the Quay the relatively recent introduction of the 'Five Moments' lunch option is a fascinating innovation. The 'foraging' menu is a five-course taster of produce sourced from the field and sea locally and introduces textures and flavours not found on conventional menus. The one I experienced most recently included confit lamb, variations on celeriac, razor clams, local pheasant and a dessert based on artichokes, milk jam and juniper ice cream. I had to baulk at completing the pheasant which was rather rich but as I suffer from a somewhat challenging limited total appetite this was not surprising at the later stages of the meal. A South African chenin blanc wine was a good complement to the food. I hope the team are sufficiently encouraged to continue with this experimentation and certainly this last offering lived up to the previous two I have experienced. I hope the team go from strength to strength

1  Thank fsab2014
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Had the tasting menu and it was a knock out. Very comfortable room too. Service was attentive and professional, and the wine magnificent.

1  Thank Gaffeur