“Never disappoints”

Restaurant 36 on The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 36 on The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 37 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$0 - US$119
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We have dined here regularly, if not frequently, for years now and it's always been a special treat. Our most recent visit didn't disappoint.

The pre-starter canapés were lovely - especially the shot glass of artichoke soup finished with truffle oil which was stunning. The sea bass starter was also sublime, with delightful delicate flavours.

My main course of hake was certainly different, the saukraut and pickled mushrooms providing an interesting contrast to the sweetness of the fish. Fortunately it worked for me - compliments to the chef for daring something different.

As ever, the highlight for me was the cheese board which offers a choice from over a dozen artisan cheeses - all of them superb.

The restaurant was busy, being the Saturday night after Valentine's Day. However, the service was as good as ever - attentive and efficient without being intrusive. Menu is fixed price, offering good value, given the quality of the dining experience.

Thoroughly recommended!

1  Thank Wozzaaah

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Once again , we had a great meal at 36.
This was our second visit with friends in the last 3 weeks. The food was very good as was the service.
My only concern would be holding on to the Michelin star. An observation ,on both occasions they failed to present the correct plate of food to the correct guest and table covers under tablecloths had not been ironed and we very creased . Under a table that had been laid, was a used napkin on the floor from a previous guest.
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't a problem for me , just an observation. But if I was someone from Michelin would they retain their star ?
We love this restaurant, Karen and her team are so friendly and the food is always 1st class.

1  Thank Pompeychic1
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have visited 36 on the Quay several times and until my last visit have always been very happy with everything. Unfortunately my last visit left me disappointed. Our welcome for pre-dinner drinks was less than warm, nor very professional; the main course (which all three of us ordered) was quite tasteless (beef cheek) and unfortunately a table for twelve very loud people was in very close proximity to ours which made it difficult to converse with my fellow diners. Because of this (hopefully one off) disappointing evening I have only awarded three stars but I still think it is the best restaurant in Emsworth.

1  Thank sukicaan
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went here on a Friday lunchtime with a colleague, had the a la carte menu and left thoroughly impressed. Perhaps I was misled by the fact that I had not heard of here before it was suggested to me or that it was quite small but we both left thinking that it was a properly fantastic meal.

There are several menus to choose from and some are cheaper than others - we went a la carte and loved the quality, taste and properly high-end presentation of the dishes. The service was also exactly as good and proficient as you'd hope from somewhere like this and watching the tide and boats through the window was a nice distraction to have. Most tables can see out of a window but there are one or two tables that are under the windows and have the best views. I would definitely go back again.

1  Thank londonbristolboy
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Four of us enjoyed a leisurely lunch on the round table in the window watching all four seasons present themselves in two hours.

The poor weather and being the weekend before Valentines day meant that there were only three tables occupied and so in the absence of hubbub or music we could hear one another's conversations.

The menus and food remain excellent - we dine here regularly if infrequently. Unlike some fine dining where the jus alone makes one both full and thirsty, we enjoyed one of the best meals we have every had, up there with the French Laundry in Youtville California, Pierre's at the top of the Mandarin in Hong Kong and the Thomas Lord in West Meon. The breads were particularly good and the presentation so classy that one wants to take a photo of each course before one starts.

A nicely prepared South African cab sav complimented both starters and main, we had both fish and meat dishes with a mix from both the prix fixe and a la carte menus, all were first class.

Puddings were sublime and our 89 year old birthday girl even had Happy Birthday piped onto her plate, a nice touch. Service from the charming Polish ladies is attentive rather than intrusive.

Come here on a long summer evening and enjoy a stroll out along the sea wall our into Emsworth harbour. Parking can be a challenge though particularly when the yachties are in town, that is pretty much all the time.

£300 for four with aperitifs and one bottle of wine is a lot but worth it for a really special experience.

1  Thank Sm0ky