“Faultless perfection”

Restaurant 36 on The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 36 on The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 36 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$0 - US$119
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I write restaurant and hotel reviews for a living, the downside being I always draw the short straw when it comes to booking the restaurant and accommodation ,and last weekend was no different.

Three of us were attending the two day Goodwood road racing club meeting and as I have known about 36 for some time( my daughter sails from opposite ) it was an obvious choice.

Brilliant welcome, space found in car park for car,taxi to and from the circuit,stunning rooms and truly tremendous food, only three course but three additional courses of mouth sized bites. Star for me was hazel nut gnocchi that came with my hake, though my colleagues were equally content.

Unhurried breakfast next morning even though we dawdled in the breakfast room watching the Grand Prix.

Great place for a romantic weekend or food as good as it gets

2  Thank MichaelWhinger

Reviewed 23 March 2014

36 on The Quay was recommended to us and we were not disappointed with the food or service.

As soon as we arrived we were looked after well by very attentive staff. My only criticism of this restaurant is the bar/waiting area they ask you to sit at whilst they prepare your drinks, provide you a very tasty pre-appetiser, offer you to review the menu and take your order. This area is quite small and not very comfortable and does not match the overall standard of the food and service we received.

The Scallops, sliced and pan seared & Wild sea bass starters were lovely. The main course of
Hake fillet & Angus beef cheek were exceptional. The Pre-Dessert Refresher was a small passion fruit and raspberry mouse and we finished of with Apple Cheese cake and cheese and biscuits and tea with petit fours.

It is a busy restaurant and the décor and ambience was nice. All in all for us, the evening was delightful, the food and service met expectations as this is quite an expensive restaurant, but great for special occasions and we would go back.

2  Thank Colin R
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Always one of my favourite restaurants, a rare treat. Excellent food, lovely friendly hosts and excellent service.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We have dined here regularly, if not frequently, for years now and it's always been a special treat. Our most recent visit didn't disappoint.

The pre-starter canapés were lovely - especially the shot glass of artichoke soup finished with truffle oil which was stunning. The sea bass starter was also sublime, with delightful delicate flavours.

My main course of hake was certainly different, the saukraut and pickled mushrooms providing an interesting contrast to the sweetness of the fish. Fortunately it worked for me - compliments to the chef for daring something different.

As ever, the highlight for me was the cheese board which offers a choice from over a dozen artisan cheeses - all of them superb.

The restaurant was busy, being the Saturday night after Valentine's Day. However, the service was as good as ever - attentive and efficient without being intrusive. Menu is fixed price, offering good value, given the quality of the dining experience.

Thoroughly recommended!

1  Thank Wozzaaah
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Once again , we had a great meal at 36.
This was our second visit with friends in the last 3 weeks. The food was very good as was the service.
My only concern would be holding on to the Michelin star. An observation ,on both occasions they failed to present the correct plate of food to the correct guest and table covers under tablecloths had not been ironed and we very creased . Under a table that had been laid, was a used napkin on the floor from a previous guest.
Don't get me wrong. It wasn't a problem for me , just an observation. But if I was someone from Michelin would they retain their star ?
We love this restaurant, Karen and her team are so friendly and the food is always 1st class.

1  Thank Pompeychic1