“As lovely as ever!”

Restaurant 36 on The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 36 on The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 36 Restaurants in Emsworth
Price range: US$0 - US$119
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chichester, United Kingdom
“As lovely as ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have been visiting this restaurant for many years for our wedding anniversary and this time we enjoyed it as much as ever. The canapés that accompanied our glass of champagne were outstanding. We both enjoyed the first course of cannelloni of Guinea Fowl. I then had loin of rabbit with rillette of rabbit leg and my husband had the wild sea bass. Both were delicious with lots of special accompaniments that you don't get in most restaurants. There followed a small pre-dessert and then we both had the peanut parfait. It was beautifully presented and tasty. The service was quietly effective and they were kind enough to present us with a platter of petit fours with happy anniversary piped in chocolate. We will be back next year!

1 Thank countrybumpkin100

Wiltshire
“A bit of a "Parsons Egg" visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were first introduced to The Quay by friends a couple or so years ago and we loved it then. So when we had relatives who had listened to our comments and wanted us to take them there, we jumped at the chance to rekindle our memories of a lovely hidden- away restaurant with superb food. But sadly our return visit did not live up to our expectations. There were some delights but equally there were some disappointments; surely this should not be the case when talking about a Michelin Star restaurant where one expects the whole dining experience to be one of untold joy from start to finish? We looked up the menus on the website before leaving home and decided that the narrow choice on screen must be down to space restrictions and that there would be more on offer on the actual menu. First disappointment - the choices were as small as the website portrayed. Very quirky sounding options but, hey, give it a go! Sorry- a lover of chocolate we might be, but the duck liver starter with chocolate and cherries tasted so sweet that it needed to be on the pudding menu, not at the start of the meal. However, the canneloni starter was enjoyed very much. Two of our party were more than happy to have the snail in the pesto with the steak where two others were relieved that it was possible to omit these creatures, but actually none of us was happy with the flavour of the dish as a whole, with or without the extra "meat". The steak was tender but drowned in the powerful pesto. The rabbit was good as was the brill. The strawberry pudding I had was delightful through and through - the flavours of rhubarb mixed beautifully with the strawberries and all in all it was one of the most divine desserts I have ever had. Likewise, the apple cheesecake was a big success, as was the elderflower rice pudding and the peanut parfait. The wines we chose were good, although the whole drinks bill was quite steep, even though we declined to have the dessert wine at a very large cost.
The ambiance of the restaurant was as good as we remembered and the staff pleasant and attentive. Watching the dusk settle over the quay as we ate was charming.
We did ask whether it was the usual chef and we were assured it was, but we concluded that Chef was having an off day or that he/she was just trying too hard to be original at the expense of mixing flavours that actually are good bedfellows. We love fresh ideas but some of these were a step too far.
A real shame that we now have less than wonderful memories of The Quay; it will take some courage to return.

6 Thank DEDW
London, United Kingdom
“Better than ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We do not write reviews very often. We visit this restaurant once a year as part of our week at Glorious Goodwood and we believe that it is good value for money for a dining experience of this calibre. You would pay double in London. As usual the food was outstanding, with many varied taste explosions. We would highly recommend adding the cheese plate - a highlight of the evening. The service was spot on, you do not go to a restaurants like this for a quick bite. It is a whole evening experience. We usually stay in the rooms above the restaurant but this time we stayed in their little cottage across the road. This was very good and a superb comprehensive continental breakfast was delivered to us the next morning.

1 Thank Professortimmy
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“My second review.. gone from a 5* to a 2*”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went back to 36 on the Quay with my partner. It's my favourite restaurant in Hampshire. I have been many times and have always been impressed with the quality and taste of the food. Not this time.. the duck liver pate, although written as being served with chocolate, actually only tasted of chocolate. It was a terrible first course. The beef served with snail was tough and tiny. I asked for it to be served without the snail pesto (apparently a very common request) but I could not confirm if I had the snail pesto or not as the accompaniments were sludgy and not at all distinctive in flavour. The desert choice lacked the normal "presentation of" option and my choice of rice pudding was unremarkable, in every way, apart from the fact that it contained very very little rice. At £150 for two (with wine) this restaurant is normally an expensive, but a good value treat. Not this time and I will probably not go back, which is sad as I have been going to this restaurant a couple of times a year for around 10 years.
Very sad.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank ROBERTCRAMB
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A Gastronomic Tour of Hampshire – 36 On The Quay, Emsworth”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is one of a series of reviews of meals taken on a gastronomic tour of Hampshire in Summer 2014.
My starter of guinea fowl in pasta, etc. was terrific. Plenty of flavour in an harmonious whole - just what a Michelin star restaurant such as this should be serving. The main course of brill was very good, although a slight lack of flavour in the fish itself meant that it didn't quite match up to the standard of the starter. But that's being very picky, and overall, it was a good dish. But then came dessert ! I was looking forward to macerated strawberries, as I had eaten an excellent version of a similar dish at hotel Terravina. But here, they macerated the strawberries to within an inch of their life. So much so, they tasted more like tinned strawberries. What a dreadful thing to do to fresh tasty English strawberries. Terravina had a much lighter touch and got it just right.
Finally, a pet niggle of mine. When I ask for a dessert wine to be served with my dessert, I expect just that. I do not expect the wine to come instantly, followed by a wait for the pre-dessert, then an opportunity to eat it, followed by another wait for the dessert to arrive, by which time, the slightly chilled dessert wine is now at room temperature. It's not rocket science - serve dessert wines with the dessert, unless the customer requests otherwise.

Visited July 2014