“Nice food until I found a hair right at the end!”
Review of Spice village

Spice village
Ranked #34 of 36 Restaurants in Emsworth
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Nice food until I found a hair right at the end!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Second visit to this restaurant. Really loved our first meal. From reading the reviews we realised service was slow so we go on a week day where they aren't busy which we like as we aren't rushed out the door like some Indian restaurants! Food and service were great until I found fair embedded into my nann bread. Its because of this I wouldn't visit the restaurant again for me giving such a low score.

• Visited April 2014

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Appalling service”
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Finished work at a reasonable time and wandered down to the Spice Village. The waiters did not disappoint and ensured that I had a lengthy stay in their establishment.

After a long wait starters arrived minus the normal sauce. Not a problem, the waiter said he would get some. Waited and waited without joy. In the end I gave up and ate a cold starter which I think would have been really nice when it was originally served.

Now for the main which must have taken half an hour on a not very busy Weekday evening. I overheard a customer say that her peshwari naan was more like a keema naan. Not a problem for the obliging waiter who even returned five minutes later to tell her to take her time with her curry or she would be finished before the newly baked naan was ready. She wasn't impressed.

The meal was very good so full compliments to the chef.

Now it was time to pay so I was taking no chances waiting for the bill and it was getting dark, being on my own I decided I had to go for it and make a fast exit by getting the bill at the bar. A man appears at the bar and says to the waiter can you stick some lime in that you have just served me plain soda water. Not a problem for the ever obliging waiter who then asked the barman to remove the lime from the drink as the customer wanted plain soda water. After much scratching off the head by the barman as he pondered how to remove lime from soda water I had to intervene and explain. Next order , oh no another soda and lime and I chuckled hoping my stay could be prolonged as I was now starting to enjoy myself.
Fantastic I thought they got it right. Two minutes later the soda and lime was returned by an ungrateful customer stating it was flat and could he have coke instead. Suddenly I remembered I was supposed to be fast tracking my bill that's why I was at the bar. Alas the customer in front of me was disputing his bill convinced he had paid twice. The barman assured him all was well and he should go online as soon as he got home and he would do the same at his end. You can't beat finishing a nice evening out by rushing home and logging on to check your credit card statement.

A double portion of after eights and I was on my way having forgot to add a tip to my payment. Now here is the strange thing, next door is another Indian which I am convinced is served by the same kitchen. It was completely empty with two waiters standing chatting to each other.

I know I have wasted my time as they obviously don't read the reviews or they would have sorted the service issues based on old feedback. However I feel better having shared my experience . If they could sort the service it will be a very good place to go for a meal as the location is perfect.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Bushman d
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“gone downhill”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Dined in here and had numerous takeaways since the restaurant opened. Service was always slow for both (1-1.5hrs), but didn't mind as great food takes time and staff very friendly and great pub across the road. The last couple of takeaways we have had over the last month have been disappointing to say the least. Balti had no fresh chillies in as it always had previously, just an overpowering taste of chilli powder to hot it up. Sauce was pale and watery ….. a far cry from previous meals there.
Very sad, we can only think that there has been a change in chef or that they are cutting costs by using inferior, cheap ingredients. Currently looking for another indian restaurant as will not be returning.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank foodieinemsworth
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Shocking service and shocking attitiude”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Popped in for a take away. What a mistake, Waited 40 minutes for 1 meal, Asked when the food was arriving twice. Second time I asked I was told that other customers who had been and gone had ordered by phone. Warning - if you just walk in you will have to wait a very long time.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Judith W
London, United Kingdom
“Slow service and average food”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We had an evening meal here. The restaurant was almost empty yet the service was extremely slow. The waiters did not remember who ordered what. As for the food it was just average and not that tasty. Given how we felt the following day I would question how fresh the food was.

• Visited March 2014