“Worth the wait”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked to visit on a Saturday evening told they have 2 sittings 6.30 or 8.30, not sure whether this is common practice or not, a bit early for us really but 8.30 was too late. Luckily I had looked at the extensive menu on line so had an idea of what to order but my companions were slightly flummoxed by the amount of choice !! We ordered a bottle of house white and a bottle of water which came very quickly. We ordered at 7 and had to chase the starters at 50minutes, by then we had finished the wine!! so we ordered another bottle and more water. The portion sizes are I must warn everyone on the large size, I had the porchetta which was delicious my husband had the antipasti also huge. \main courses followed with not such a wait thank goodness and were equally on the large side, I had the squash and pecorino cheese ravioli and my step daughter had the calves liver both delicious. We decided to order 1 dessert and 3 spoons and it was a very delicious panacotta with pear poached in red wine.
I would recommend this restaurant but do book in advance and a tip I would add is maybe ask for a table near the front windows, we were tucked by the end of the bar in the corner and it was really hot.Bill was £95 3 starters/3mains/1 dessert/2 wine and 2 water

1 Thank jpks

Farnborough, United Kingdom
“good food,good prices”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Lively restaurant,very busy on a Saturday night,booking essential. Very popular with parties and couples-good mix of clientele,our first visit and really enjoyed it.Friendly helpful waitresses. Food was excellent and well priced, good quality ingredients. Had "spritzer" cocktail which was a nice touch,refreshing in the heat,restaurant is not air conditioned-only down side.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good Italian, plenty of it and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First time for us here. Very warm welcome into a very busy restaurant. Despite this, the service was attentive and we didn't wait long at all. Friends advised that the portions were big so we only went a side order of olives and some dipping bread. Both excellent quality and plentiful. Our mains arrived shortly afterwards. My wife had the seafood risotto and I had spicy meatballs. Huge portions of excellent food. Only downside of the evening was being in the conservatory part of the restaurant. Very hot and no air. We left as soon as we finished our mains just so we could cool down. Will definitely go back on a cooler night.

Portsmouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place! 4th time in as many wks!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Really surprised to hear the negative comments about this restaurant, it's really hard nowadays to find somewhere that does really good quality, well prepared food.. not microwaved crap. If people keep nitpicking at little things such as portion size, tiny mistakes and petty things then we'll end up losing these type of quality restaurants, which are really hard to find these days due to to all these big brands that don't serve fresh food.
So for anyone who reads this who is visiting the area or lived locally, this is a great place full of hard workers and who put a lot of heart into what they do and serve really good and always give a warm welcome.
This is an excellent restaurant

1 Thank Bearhope
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Noisy Nosh!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

After reading the trip advisor reviews regarding Nicolino's restaurant I thought that We would give it a try.

We were a party of five adults and booked a table early evening midweek.
As stated in the reviews that I read the staff and service proved to be commendable, the menu selection was comprehensive and huge, as was the size of the portions and represented excellent value for money.
However I have never dined in such a noisy environment! For midweek the restaurant was quite full, mostly with younger people who seemed to find it necessary to shout at each other, perhaps the could not hear over the din they were creating.

I fully accept that this was not the fault of the restaurant, but somewhat dimmed the dining experience we had expected to enjoy.

if it had been a little quieter I would not hesitate to award five stars. The restaurant itself was excellent.

If you like to dine quietly this may not be the place for you, or perhaps that evening we were just unlucky?