“Not up to the usual high standard”
Review of Lysses House Hotel

and 1 more site!
Lysses House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Fareham
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Lysses House Hotel restaurant is excellent value - where else could you have a two- course, freshly cooked lunch with coffee and petits fours for £11.95? The service is always attentive and the tables well appointed. However, this visit my partner and I were a little disappointed with the standard of our meal. My partner had mackerel which consisted of only two bite-sized pieces of fish and I had the very bland and thin pea soup. Note to Chef - pea soup needs a bit of oomph to enhance the flavour and to be thick! For the main course, my partner chose the pork which was rather tough and had a bit of gristle. The vegetables were finely prepared and flavoursome. I chose the pumpkin ravioli which were in a delicious sauce topped with parsnip crisps.
This unfortunate blip would not deter us from another visit as, normally, Lysses is of a high standard

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
23  Thank ilovesweetpea
LyssesManager, Front Office Manager at Lysses House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave us a review. I can only apologise that your experience with us was not up to its usual high standard. Our Head Chef is always appreciative to be made aware of any issues. We look foward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Had a single room at the top of the hotel. I immediately put the light on, on entering as the room was so dark. I kid you not it made no difference at all!! I couldn't sit on the loo properly as there was a slanted ceiling in the way! The shower needed a damn good scrub and made a hell of a racket, I felt bad for the other guests.

I was woken up at 6.30 by people in the next room - the walls are very thin and I could hear them getting up. The room must have been next to the boiler or something as well which made a lot of noise. Also you had to fiddle around with the lock to get the door to lock.

On the plus side the bed was comfy, room warm and breakfast fine. Service was good. We ate in the fullers golden lion (?) directly opposite the hotel which offered lovely pub grub at a reasonable price.

I stayed in a 4* hotel the night before for less £ than this and based on price, in comparison this is not even in the same category.

I will end this by saying my colleague was happy with his room although he also did complain about the noise/thin walls, etc.

I'll be honest and say I'd look else where (probably portsmouth) if I have to come down here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
69  Thank westcountrylass22

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate all our guests comments, both positive and negative as it helps us to improve. I can only apologise that the shower was not up to the standard it should have been. This has been addressed. We have been working really hard to improve our sound insulation and have also taken on board your comments with regards to lighting. We have changed the lighting on our top floor to led bulbs which has improved the light immensly and is also in keeping with our commitment to green tourism. We are continuing with this programme throughout the hotel. I'm really pleased you found the bed comfortable and the breakfast and service good. We really hope you decide to try us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We had out Civil Partnership Ceremony & function at the hotel. The staff were very accommodating with all our requests. They kept our surprises for our invited guests secret & even joined in on the act with our big surprise!
As we were busy with preparations we didn't notice how lovely our room was until the following morning. It was a very hot day on 29th June 2013 so air conditioning in the rooms would have been nice, that was the only downside.
The food & service was excellent, though didn't get to eat my dessert as we were running late & needed to go downstairs to our evening guests, so good excuse to go back to sample that dessert!!
Highly recommend for excellent service, staff, accommodation, food & location.

Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Alan H
LyssesManager, Front Office Manager at Lysses House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Our staff had a wonderful day also. It was their first experience of "wedding crashers" and they did not disappoint. It would be lovely to see you back here in the future, we look forward to it.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed one night on business, My double room was very nice and spacious with the added bonus of two windows as I was on a corner of the hotel. IT had a trouser press, tea/coffee etc, spacious bathroom, flat screen tv and a hairdryer. The breakfast was large, fresh and varied and the waitress was very nice and helpful. I was daft enough to leave an item behind in my room and the hotel were very helpful in ensuring that I was reunited with it.

Room Tip: My room number was 15, it was quiet as it was at the back of the hotel and benefited from windows on...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank islandgirl1958

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to leave us a positive review. It is always lovely to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again at Lysses in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We visited Lysses House Hotel as part of a party of 28 diners to celebrate my brother-in-law's 65th birthday. We were a little wary as we had been here for my mother's 80th birthday in 2009 and were very disappointed with the quality of the food served.
No such problem this time round. Being such a large party, we were asked to make our choices beforehand but this was made easy by the extensive choices on offer.
The standard of service was excellent throughout and the food absolutely delicious. All dishes were of a consistently high standard and reasonably priced. Many thanks for a great evening, well done to all staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your positive review. It is lovely to hear that you all had such a good time. I will make sure your comments are passed to all the staff involved. We look forward to seeing you again at Lysses in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have just got back from a weekend away in Portmouth, and after walking around the wonderful Mary Rose Museum, HMS Victory and Warrior ship we really needed to put our feet up and relax at the end of the day. This hotel was a great place to spend the night. Staff were very nice on arrival and our room was clean and comfortable. Had a few drinks at the quiet little pub just opposite but than wished we had just gone to the bar at our Hotel as the drinks were so much cheaper. There was a party last night at the hotel but it was a lovely atmosphere and the music stopped at a reasonable time, some one was complaining about the noise to reception when we checked out this morning but I didn't think it was as bad as they were making out. Some one was also complaining that a birds egg had fallen out of a tree in the car park and it had landed on her new car and it was all messy on the window...... Really my dear, what exactly did you expect the girl on reception to do, go and find the bird and give it a good telling off. Great hotel for what you are paying. Only reason I didn't give it 5 was the service at breakfast was under staffed and slow. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave us your review. It is greatly appreciated. I can only apologise that breakfast service was slow, This issue has now been addressed. We look forward to welcoming you to Lysses House again in the future.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I visited this hotel on a business trip. The rooms were good and the food was good too. The location was perfect for me as it was just walking distance from my office. The hotel does a justice to its price. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: None as such.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
LyssesManager, Front Office Manager at Lysses House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are glad you enjoyed everything from the rooms to the good food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lysses House in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fareham
Red Lion Hotel
#18 of 39 in Portsmouth
B+B Wickham
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham

Been to Lysses House Hotel? Share your experiences!