“Aaaarrgggh!”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Fareham
London, United Kingdom
“Aaaarrgggh!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I booked two single rooms in this hotel for 5th October. We had come to Fareham to celebrate an old friend's birthday. I had booked the hotel over the internet without checking out the reviews. Big Mistake! The poor maintenance and lack of cleanliness in both rooms was disgusting. In neither room did the television work and in one the remote control was extremely greasy and needed a good clean before we could test it out (to find that the tv did not work!! - next morning we were told that the management knew about this, so why was it not fixed?).

Other faults were that in one room the shower thermostat control was broken and my friend having soaped herself was left with a scalding shower (turning the control to cold had no effect) and no way to clean off the soap conveniently. If she had stepped into the shower after allowing it to get hot she would have been badly scalded. In the other room, a cleaning product had been used to remove limescale, but the bath had not been properly rinsed out and there was no bath mat for the shower: The result made showering extremely hazardous as the bath was unbelievably slippery and I very nearly fell over. In fact an earlier guest must have suffered the same fate as the shower control bar was not attached to the wall and must have been wrenched loose to avoid a fall. I also resent the fact that there were no sachets of shampoo etc and no toilet brush was provided.

The level of cleanliness in the rooms was poor. For example in my room there was a coffee mug containing what looked like the remains of a cup of tea which had been there long enough to be showing the early signs of mould.

I am glad that steveboy66 enjoyed his wedding at the hotel. However, my room was directly above the bar and at 1.30am, I did wonder whether to insert earplugs or go down and join in!

The welcome was ok, but the manager had difficulty identifying the second room even though the booking had been confirmed and when he found it, he did not offer to assist us with our bags - we are both quite elderly.

So what if anything was good? Well firstly, the hotel is dog friendly and there is free wifi. The beds were comfortable (though one squeaked badly) and the bed linen was fresh. The breakfast next morning was excellent served by a lovely lady for whom nothing was too much trouble. However when we asked to speak to the manager because we wished to complain, we were told that he was still in bed and that she would make a note of our complaints and pass them on.

In my opinion, this demonstrates extremely poor management and explains the lack of cleanliness in the rooms. The whole hotel looked tired and at £59 per night, it is not cheap. We will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 7 which is directly over the bar and if you must stay in this hotel, check that...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had our wedding reception here on the 5th oct and cant find any fault with anything. The food was great the staff were brilliant very friendly, nothing was to much trouble.
We stayed overnight in room 24 very nice room, very clean .
This hotel doesnt deserve the many negative reviews it seems to attract .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Roundabout Hotel on Saturday night which was fully booked but I have to say, we were really disappointed to find that our hotel room was old fashioned and very basic and tired. However, it was generally clean with spotless towels and sheets which made it bearable for our very short stay. The lady on reception was really cheerful and helpful and seemed to do everything as she served our breakfast the next morning too, which was OK. The rate was cheap in comparison to other hotels in the area so basically, you get what you pay for...!

1 Thank Lyndiloo22
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel is in need of a major face lift dull damp & very shabby (not shabby chic).good road access but thats about all. stayed in this hotel ten years ago it was always top of our list , but not anymore.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redcapphil

Travellers are raving about these Fareham hotels

Sheffield
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Quite simply, this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We booked it as a cheap overnight stop because we were arriving back on a late ferry so thankfully we didn’t arrive until 10pm and left the next morning. The room was very shabby with a stained and grubby carpet and a tatty pair of faded curtains hung up by four rings on broken wonky poles. The folds of the curtains were thick with dust as were the bedside lamps and the wall shades and a plastic edging strip round the window was held in place with nails and black insulation tape. All the furniture had long since seen better days especially the two metal framed beds which creaked with every tiny movement. The bathroom had a dripping tap that had been dripping so long it had stained the sink and a loo with a dodgy flush. The plastic cups provided had obviously been re-used for a long time and shower head just about fitted in its holder as long as you didn’t mind it pointing at the ceiling. It was so bad we laughed about it saying oh well, it’s only for one night. Went down to breakfast before 8am the following morning as we wanted to get off early although I have to say I was very dubious about eating anything in this establishment. Having taken a surreptitious look through the window in the kitchen door I was relieved that it looked clean and hygienic and ordered a full English thinking I could pick and chose what looked edible. The girl who took our order was very friendly but she was on her own and rushed off her feet so service was slow from the start. After 35 minutes the girl had disappeared completely and we were still waiting for our breakfast to appear. Eventually I went through to the kitchen and found half a dozen cooked breakfasts lined up under the hot plate waiting for service. I actually asked if I could take them out myself but they did then find someone else to serve. No one except the cook gave us an apology and as we left my husband went into the kitchen to thank the cook for a nice breakfast ruined by the wait. I was ready to make my complaint to reception but failed to find anyone to complain to. Already very delayed in our departure I decided a review on trip advisor would probably be far more effective. This is one of the few times I have booked a hotel without reading the reviews but I won’t make that mistake again.

2 Thank Alison S
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We arrived Saturday night off the Caen ferry which docked at 9.30 pm. Thanks to sat. nav. we found the hotel -very difficult in the dark as it is the fifth turn of a roundabout and the hotel sign is not visible. Car park packed - Sat. night drinkers and a wedding. The receptionist indicated a space outside by the road, saying most cars would leave later. Room OK, we needed the fan provided, beds comfortable, bathroom cramped. Main problem was the noise - from the parties down below and outside and also until the early hours tramping of feet back and forth above us. The receptionist said he'd given us a quiet room!. Breakfast reasonable but the nice girl on duty did not think to ask us if we wanted black or white coffee - she presses a button on her machine - so we had to send us back as we do not like milky coffe (the coffee itself was excellent quality). I would not choose this hotel again, although it was good value - we only did so as we needed somewhere cheap near the ferry port.

Room Tip: Room 8 seemed to be above the bar.
Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Tired, old, dusty, noisy. Filthy stained, hard, flat pillows, exchanged for more hard, flat pillows! I had to buy a new clean pillow from Aldi , thankfully not not far up the road.
So noisy with traffic, couldn't sleep even with ear plugs. Windows closed = hot, suffocating and hotel could not provide a fan - open windows at your peril of heavy traffic noise & carbon monoxide fumes from vehicles :-(
Breakfast finished at 09:30! I was reluctantly offered toast at 09:40
Single room was over priced 'broom cupboard' with wardrobe doors falling off and too much dust. Filthy stool & chair needed to sit on towel to cover the stains. The 'spaghetti junction' of wires next to the kettle was astonishingly dangerous!
Bring in the Hotel Inspector!

Room Tip: Ask for inside toom - not on roundabout side!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fareham
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Whiteley
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
#18 of 38 in Portsmouth

Been to The Roundabout Hotel? Share your experiences!