“Fire alarms”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Fareham
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Fire alarms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I am a regular at this holiday inn and have always found the staff to polite and helpful. In particular last night the hotel had a problem with someone smoking in the bedroom setting of the alarm. Twice!! I have to say that the staff were excellent in dealing with the situation and trying to ensure that everyone was informed and that the elderly and those with kids were looked after. There were even personalised letters under the door of our rooms this morning apologising and offering a free meal with wine and a late check out if required. WELL DONE to all the staff!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback in regards to the situation that occurred throughout your stay. I am delighted that you found the team here recovered the unfortunate situation well. I will definitely be sharing your kind comments with the whole team. We very much look forward to seeing you back in the hotel again very soon. Kind Regards, Sonya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a business trip with a colleague and I was very pleased with the service received and the facilities. My only slight negative is regarding the furniture in the room which had seen much better days and was looking very tired and dated.

We both had breakfasts and evening meals at the hotel. Breakfast choices were vast: cereal, fruit juices, yogurts, toast and help yourself full-English too. The meals in the evening were the best I've ever had at a hotel chain such as this. I can very highly recommend the lamb steak in red wine and cockle sauce from the 'specials' menu and also the lemon curd bread and butter pudding with ice cream for dessert. Absolutely delicious!!!!

Special mention must go to Peter who works so hard in the restaurant during breakfast and evening meals. What a very friendly, happy and helpful young man. Even when the restaurant was very busy due to a German touring group, he was still willing to help other customers too.

I would have given this a rating of 5 if it wasn't for the fact that the rooms are in need of some updating.

No doubt I will be staying here again on future trips to Fareham and I look forward to it.

PS: My husband appreciated the complimentary Curly-Wurly that I was given when checking out. What a nice touch. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments. I am delighted to read such wonderful feedback about Peter- one of our newest members of the team who is clearly making a very good impression on our guests. I shall ensure his achievements get recognised. Our chefs will be thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the specially selected specials menu, again I shall ensure your comments the shared with the kitchen team. I am sorry to read that you found the bedroom furniture slightly tired, this is something that we are looking to improve in the future. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind Regards, Sonya
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My family stayed at the Holiday Inn Fareham for 2 nights while visiting Peppa Pig World, I have to say the welcome from the receptionist is exactly what we needed after our 4 & 1/2 hour car journey she was warm, friendly and welcoming and was eager to help, even the little touches by the staff of making a real fuss of the children by surprising them with a balloon and a chocolate bar.

The rooms were comfortable and had everything we need the only downside was the road outside was a little noisy.

The Breakfast was great and our daughter loved the variety, again the staff were welcoming and attentive.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your great comments. I am delighted to read such a wonderful review and I am very pleased to hear that all of your family were well looked after and had such a great stay whilst visiting Peppa Pig World. I shall personally ensure that your feedback get's shared with our team. We hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, Sonya
Fife, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel recently for a couple of weeks whilst working in the area.

( + ) Location about 15 minutes from S'ton airport, S'ton, Portsmouth and Port Solent so ideally placed if you are after one or more of these places.

( + ) Reception staff seemed pleasant enough when I had to speak to them.

( - )I must say I was a little bit disappointed with the standard of this Holiday Inn. Both the public areas and the rooms were dated and were in dire need of revamp!

( - ) Had a drink in the bar one night and the wine was not very pleasant at all. Perhaps because the white wine was luke warm!

( - ) Staff at breakfast each morning looked miserable and when asking for tea/coffee etc, everything looked like a mammoth effort!

( - ) I disagree with hotels in this day and age charging £8 for 4 hours of Internet- it wasn't even a decent speed! Ridiculous for an average hotel which charges over £100 b + b!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that you felt our hotel standards did not meet your expectations. I will ensure the temperature of our bar fridges get checked with the maintenance team and any problems fixed. Please be assured that free WI-FI is something that is being introduced for all IHG Rewards members in 2014. Your comments are fully taken on board and will passed onto the relevant department managers. We hope that you will visit the hotel again one day. Kind Regards, Sonya
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

The rooms would benefit from a refurbish and the pool from a good clean.
The staff are really very friendly and helpful.
For a night away on business it does what it needs to and the choice of pillow hardness on the bed is a nice touch.
My room was spacious but not so well equipped and a long walk from reception, this is an issue when you're late for dinner and the door key card doesn't work (I'm guessing its not something that happens to everyone).
There was quite a queue for checkout with just two receptionists.
The shower in the room of my colleague didn't work, apparently.
Now for the good stuff. The shower in my room was like a fire hose, some would argue too powerful and to be fair it would have knocked my kids over and thrown them out of the bath but for me it was great. Needless to say the floor was flooded when is finished.
The beer in the bar was just ok but, as is sadly more often the case these days, the soft drink selection was second rate and for me just not an option. Sorry but it's just not the real thing.
Breakfast was very good though and again the service great.
All in all good but would advise o check out on your way to breakfast to avoid queuing and make sure the shower curtain is held firm.

• Stayed October 2013
Sonya Y, General Manager at Holiday Inn Fareham Solent, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel as you would expect it to be, enjoyed a great shower and breakfast expereince plus found the team here friendly and helpful. I am sorry to read that your room key did not work, please be assured that this is not a regular occurrence and I apologise for this inconvenience. In reference to our swimming pool- our pool area is undergoing essential maintenance next month so we fully take on board your comments. We hope that you would stay with us again when next in the area. Kind Regards, Sonya
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Holiday In at Fareham is well placed for the M27 but not much else. A typical business hotel ok if someone else is footing the bill but not worth it if you are spending your own money. Clean well decorated but the bar area is soulless. The staff were tired and showed no interest in us. Needs a personality makeover and the bar staff need to look like they are please to see you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share you comments. I am extremely sorry to read that you found that the team seemed tired. This is something that I shall feedback to our restaurant and bars manager and ensure get's addressed. We very much hope that you will give the hotel another chance to prove that we always try our absolute best to deliver great service throughout the hotel. We hope to see you again one day. Kind Regards, Sonya
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Easy hotel to locate and plenty of available parking.
The first impression most people get in a hotel is from the reception staff and in my experience it was first rate and she was very cheerful and helpful.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
I only stayed for the one night and again upon checking out the following morning a different receptionist was again very courteous.
I stay in this area several times each year visiting family and have used another hotel in the IHG chain previously but had a bad expereince last time so tried out this hotel and will definately use it again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for leaving such kind feedback on your recent stay with us. It is a delight to read that you found our reception team terrific, they will be very proud of such great comments and I shall ensure they receive the great feedback. It is also great to read that you found your room comfortable and clean. We hope that you will visit us again soon. Many Thanks, Sonya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fareham
Solent Hotel & Spa
New Place Hotel
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,329 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Fareham Solent? Share your experiences!